New Here - Introductions Thread

OK cool, sounds good. :+1:

Hey guys! I’m also new here. I’ve been a fan of NLU since they did the CPG podcast and since then i havnt been able to get enough of their content. Listening to the new pod on my way to work as I type. I play college golf for a D2 university in Oklahoma, I played in every tournament Thisbe year until the virus and now i havnt played in about 5 weeks. I’m excited to get to know everyone on here’s and Be a part of the community!

1 Like

Hi Everybody,

Been listening to the pod pretty religiously for the last three or so years but I just joined The Nest and The Refuge recently to #GetInvolved.

First found NLU on Youtube because I also work on Youtube and was looking for people doing content about Golf.

From the Toronto area in Canada and play mostly out of Shelburne G&C in Shelburne Ontario.

Im pretty young (25) so I’ve actually never been on a message board. So if I screw something up sorry about that.

Glad to be here! :metal:

7 Likes

Welcome Keith.

Quite a few Canadians here and we mostly tolerate them.

Think Soly said during Tourist sauce szn 1 “If people ask where we’re from we say Canadian because nobody hates Canadians.”

1 Like

OMG what is wrong with you for not playing on message boards I can’t believe you don’t get our inside jokes you must be a burner who are you

Figured I’d get all that stuff out of the way before everyone else does and say welcome! This place is a blast if you don’t take it too seriously!

1 Like

Look my generation just calls message boards “Discord.”

1 Like

Not a problem. For contrast, my generation calls message boards “Usenet” or “BBS”

4 Likes

Hey everyone! I’ve been a big fan of the podcast for a long time and figured it was finally time to see what’s going on here.

I’m in Los Angeles and my home course is Rancho Park because I can’t afford to join Riv or LACC!

Very surprised to see there’s no LA / SoCal thread here, so maybe I’ll have to start one…

1 Like

Welcome to the Refuge!

Welcome Bryan! We have a pretty strong LA/SD contingent (Roll Call: L.A. County (Rustic Canyon is not in L.A. County)). We’re playing Soule & Rustic on 8/2 to send @SliceyMcShankerston off to Dallas. Any interest?

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome and the invite Taco!

I just played Rustic on Wednesday and Soule last Saturday. Love both of those courses and Soule is in amazing shape right now. I’m booked up for the next few weekends, but I’ll check out the LA thread.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Ive been listening and watching NLU pods and vids for about a year now so thought it was about time i joined The Refuge! Big fan of the Strapped series and i put Strapped down as the main reason why ive gotten my love for the game back.

Based in Nottingham, England and mostly play at Oakmere and Mapperley golf clubs, off an unofficia 18 handicap.

Im 32 now, and with a wife and 3 year old daughter so i try to sneak in 9 hole rounds weekly with the odd range sesh when possible!

:+1:

1 Like

Welcome to the Refuge @Strum88! Always good to see another bogey golfer around here!

1 Like

Hey everyone, I recently joined the Nest and the Refuge and thought I’d drop in here. Been following NLU for a couple years now after a friend introduced me and I appreciate all their great content. I grew up in Pittsburgh and currently live in Denver, though in between I’ve lived in NH, CA, NY, ME, MA, and VA. I work in real estate investing, which as you can imagine, is quite interesting right now.

I thought I’d add a few more tidbits to introduce myself below.

Favorite recent golf experience: I got to play Oakmont and then Cedar Rapids CC about 48 hours apart this summer. Two very different, very awesome courses. Also particularly enjoyed watching Tiger win the Masters 18 months ago.

Favorite upcoming golf experience: I’m headed to play Mossy Oak, Sewanee, and Sweetens on Mon-Wed of the Thanksgiving week next month. Rather excited for that. Also will be cool to see the Masters in the fall with no fans.

Fun Fact: I’m an objectivist, or an advocate of Ayn Rand’s philosophy, meaning I’m a pretty radical supporter of reason, individualism, and free markets. I’ve read all of her books and taken several classes on her philosophy, so I have a pretty good handle on it. I’d be happy to share more of my political viewpoints, but the politics thread here on the Refuge is, like most of the internet, fully of lazy sloganeering, context-dropping, and mostly intellectual uniformity. (Also, if you think Ayn Rand is a conservative, you’re wrong and lazy. It takes about 5 minutes of research and thinking to see otherwise).

Pet Peeve: Second-handers, or people who live for the approval and agreement of others all the time. It’s incredibly obvious when people are like this, and they usually have no original ideas or thoughts. Trump is one and he is awful.

Hot/Contrarian Take: George Thomas’ Marion GC (aka little Marion) was my home course for 4 years growing up and is, for the most part, very overrated. Holes 1 and 7 definitely have some architectural merit, but the conditioning is truly dreadful and some parts of the course are a swamp. It totally detracts from the experience. And the mounds/walls throughout the course, including on all par 3s, are interesting but make it pretty difficult for someone learning to play and enjoy golf. I’ve played it several times recently and it still kinda sucks. (Hooper might be the best 9 hole course in New England, though I haven’t played Whitinsville or Highland Links.)

Would love to see some of your answers to these.

6 Likes

Don’t answers require questions?

j/k Welcome! Excellent start. This place is great… and sometimes terrible… but mostly great! Enjoy!

9 Likes

Nobody:
Absolutely Nobody:
@hartfordme: AYN RAND IS NOT A CONSERVATIVE!!!

Now that’s an entrance!

7 Likes

@hartfordme Rather than share your viewpoints on objectivism in the politics thread, I suggest you start your own thread on the subject! Should really get the discussion going!

(Welcome.)

Thanks buddy.

Based on some extensive reading of the politics thread, I have no interest in sharing them unsolicited. I’m more interested in hearing other people’s golf-centric opinions in the topics I posted. I intended the intro more as a way to genuinely share some golf and non-golf thoughts in one space, but mocking Rand is too easy for some.

1 Like