Nest Invitational Tournament aka NIT - Viiibbiiinnnggg

I didn’t know suggestions were considered a complaint, thanks for enlightening me.

I mean, I was quoting you.

Not true.

Not exactly the finals…

The hard truth is two of them were legit single digits…

See…

Depends on your goal, I guess.

So two of them weren’t actually single digits, but they still beat their quotas? I guess they’re the real MVPs.

Of all the people to intentionally miss the word “legit” you’re the #1 candidate.

I got the word. So if they weren’t legit single digits and they still beat their quotas, I guess they’re the real MVPs.

Yeah, so…here’s the thing: people who know how to play get rewarded in golf. Sometimes they play bad, but it’s great when they’re bunched together by ability.

1 Like

Fair, let me rephrase. I am not complaining about the event at all. I just disagree that quota favors a low cap vs a high cap.

1 Like

I said this elsewhere but it seems to me that the idea behind the quota game is more to have a good time than provide an extreme tournament test of golf. It gives high handicappers the ability to play to that high handicap and still be in the running. The intent by the NLU crew seems to have been that everyone have a good time and give everyone a chance to be in the hunt. I’d say mission accomplished there.

36 Likes

11 Likes

Totally agree- it also helps w/ pace of play and it’s fun for all, not just high cappers. Go for the hero shot if you dare, but if you don’t make it, pick up and enjoy your drink and wait until the next hole.

I love Stableford. We played Stableford when @anon47037505 and I qualified at Rustic. Check that- When @bmb430, @TravReid, @kruges and I qualified at Rustic.

3 Likes

Did Randy forget to give @Lazstradamus his “third place* at the Rustic qualifier” plaque?

*thanks to stableford

3 Likes

There it is again.

1 Like

It’s the Nest Invitational Tournament.

Not the Sentry Tournament of Champions.

26 Likes

I think the quota format achieved its purpose. Everyone for the most part was a couple of birdies away from being “in it,” the absolutely SIIIICK pin locations probably led to just as many “bad shots” getting rewarded as they did punish overly brave shots by the “low caps,” and the pick up double rule ensured that if you did live too dangerously, you didn’t end up holding up the groups. Perhaps my scar tissue from the Rustic qualifier altered my strategy too much, as I went into it with the intent to score at least one point on every hole and minimize bagels, rather than just sending it on every hole in hopes of a few birds. Don’t really have a position on whether quota favors high or low caps, it just favors good play, relative to what that player’s “good play” is. There’s an assumption going on here that if you’re a low cap, you automatically make more birdies, but what if it means that you just don’t make a lot of doubles+ and are kind of boring/old mannish in your play? Using myself as the example there, I’ll hang up and listen.

14 Likes

An apology to everyone who enjoyed the platitudes being thrown around this thread before @anon47037505 came in and ruined it with his contrarian/know-it-all schtick.

Also, @anon47037505, Randy wasn’t even at Rustic Canyon. Of course you’d know that if you didn’t have your face buried in @djpie’s crotch all day.

KermitFrog.gif.

4 Likes

I’m sure @iacas probably has some compilation of median/average numbers of birdies by handicap. But it’s telling that the Stableford format recommended by the USGA and R&A in the Rules suggests 0 for Double, 1 for Bogey, 2 for Par, 3 for Birdie, etc. instead of the doubling of points we use. Doubling (modified Stableford) makes more sense for players who are capable of going at pins, for eagles, etc., whether or not it’s your usual style, which is why they use it on tour where players are assumed to be on the same level.

Narrator’s voice:

Join us next week at 9pm for " @anon47037505 speaks for the USGA and R&A"

1 Like

@BaxterMSP do you have that video from Saturday of @Lazstradamus taking out his putter to see if his bogey putt was within the leather, and then missing the hole completely?

@NineTo5Golf do they not make you putt out in the Soule Park Men’s League? Maybe that’s why @Lazstradamus’s handicap seems to travel so poorly.

2 Likes

Which hole? Three occasions…

5 Likes