Nest Invitational Tournament aka NIT - Viiibbiiinnnggg

Man. That. Was. AWESOME!!!

Can’t really add much more to what the people have already said, but can verify that it is all 100% true.

The dream team, aka the Fab Four, aka the grownups, aka the Strapped Boys, C-Suite, and the Narc are just good people. So awesome to talk to, almost like we’ve been friends forever. Whether it was offering a tip on putting alignment, or the unspoken words of encouragement/bolster of confidence passed along with the knowledge they placed a bet on you, or just the positive response they give when you tell them a story or about what you do, the vibe was definitely more of “we’re a family” rather than “you guise are our fans and we’re checking off a requirement”.

Truly an amazing event put on by @Randy. So well run. I know the guise helped (course setup from the twisted mind of @Tron), but he was the point man and kicked ass.

@Privatecollection made sure the details were taken care of, going waaaay above and beyond the call of duty. What a spectacular addition to the crew. And always smiling and infecting everyone with joy…she definitely puts her whole self into her craft.

Special thanks also goes out to @JohnP for caddying for me in the finals. Having a Pro’s Pro on the baggy really helped keep me calm, and the advice to keep in mind where I was and what it was all about (I.e. drink more and have fun) was indispensable and the slap in the face I needed. We’ll make a stronger run next year, or maybe even I can return the favor. Shout out to @MerchCzar and @djpie for further evidencing their commitment to bringing the fun by looping for my fellow competitors.

Too many people to list individually, but every pairing I played with was incredible and it was fantastic to meet so many new friends and see the talented games you people have. And congratulations to all the winners!!!

In closing, I will say the tournament committee has a serious decision to weigh for next year: do they put all the Carolina guise in one flight, and just hand them the team trophy at the outset? Or continue allow them to run amok in the finals?

Also, started the day with a run to Pura Bean coffee, and had a delightful Cuban Latte and croissant breakfast sandwich. Where does this fall on the Jax coffee discussion:

Also, Jax has Wawa’s?!? Someone should’ve told me before I left town and had to discover their presence too late.

17 Likes

Pretty sure I was blacked out and having an out of body experience.

11 Likes

Wait, you’re playing in the Ringer?

Wawa was growing very aggressively in Florida until mid-2019, but they’ve put any further expansion plans on hold while they deal with some operations issues. That decision was made pre-COVID. Will be interesting to see if/when they decide to add more Florida locations.

2 Likes

I’ve never had more fun on a golf course. A flawless event at the epitome of what every muni in the country should strive to be.

32 Likes

Back home in Charlotte after an outstanding weekend. I had an absolute blast (despite how I was looking and feeling during the finals). As many have said, there is no way I can tag everyone in one post, but we’re going to try.

Thank you @Double_Bogey_Dave for the invite and to the entire NLU crew, @Privatecollection, and the staff at Jax Beach for putting on a really fun event. Big Congrats to @JCO on the W .As a close witness to the round, you played so extremely solidly. Well done, sir.

It started with a lovely 27 hole day at White Oak where we got to see some rhinos and get our feet wet with a quota game before the NIT. Thank you Damon, Harrison and Clint for putting this together. White Oak is a really enjoyable 9-hole layout that I would recommend checking out, especially if you’re into wildlife! I especially enjoyed their signature 4th hole, which had this really cool water feature:

Other highlights included, but are not limited to, meeting and playing with refugees I had not yet met, reconnecting with refugees I hadn’t seen since the Swig & Swing (which feels like 5 years ago at this point), and the canned Gatorade.

Moving into Thursday night and the opening ceremonies, the drinks were flowing, the tacos were delicious and plentiful, and the team reveal was :ok_hand: e l e c t r i c :ok_hand:

Friday morning brought some wet conditions, but that didn’t stop anyone from grinding on the range and putting green. In the morning, I played pretty well and exceeded my quota including a birdie on #12, which was pretty cool considering I rarely make birdies. I had the pleasure of playing with one of NLU’s godfathers in Mr. Solomon, but didn’t put 2 & 2 together until we were riding to our starting hole and I realized he was that Chris’s father from Dublin, Ohio.

Friday afternoon was an absolute power pairing that included 3 flight winners and the NIT winning caddie in @ChickPhilA, @JamesHCard, and @Hwhite. The wind picked WAY up during that round and I certainly struggled, but was able to grind out -1 of my quota. The 3 gents in our group eventually decided we were tired of saying “nice drive Casey” because she was absolutely automatic riding the high from her personal best earlier that day. Here is the only pic I took at Jax Beach of the 3 of them putting out on #16 while I was in my pocket (shocker):

Friday night’s dinner and wine bottle share was a great hang. We took it very deep during the wine bottle share, and some absolute gems were opened throughout the night. Head to the wine society thread to see Mark’s content from that night :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

On Saturday morning I had the pleasure of playing with fellow McSplinters @djpie, @MackReiter, and @skibum232. Learning more about the course from DJ was really cool and my cartner Tim/Ted kept the vibes trending upwards with his playlist of what seemed like mostly Andrew W.K. and shotgunning Fat Tire’s unprompted by choice. I played pretty well this round and was able to close out the flight with another birdie (!) on #4 and my best par save of the weekend on #9. Shout out to Young Hitter Lauren for tagging along with our group, she was definitely a good luck charm because the birdie happened as soon as she joined.

Our group+Lauren had some fun ramping up the PR/outrage machine and getting into my head early with calls of “These are late quota points, they don’t count” and attempting to get #NotMyFlightChampion trending on twitter. I proceeded to not score a point on my final 3 holes…hmmmmmm…

My goal this weekend was to win my flight. I hadn’t necessarily considered anything beyond that. As a very high handicap, I’m constantly teetering on the edge of completely forgetting how to play golf. The added pressure of the gallery, betting, and expectations in the final round completely exposed me. I failed Tron’s psychological examination in spectacular fashion. It was one swing, one lost ball off the first tee and things only got worse from there. I was pitching the perfect game through 15 holes, no points on the board, I asked if WD’s were allowed, I felt small, and the last place I wanted to be at that moment was on a golf course.

But this brings me to the most important part of of this weekend: how amazing and supportive this group of internet (and now real) friends can be. My caddie NanerMan was relentlessly positive (and I owe him a big thank you for slogging through that with me), multiple groups were coming up to us and asking if there was anything they could do to help (the answer was beer, I wish I had known sooner), Soly offered swing advice and nearly tackled me when I hit a solid chip on our 18th hole giving me a putt to save par, and the entire gallery was wildly supportive despite me costing them amounts of money I do not wish to know. Ultimately I stuck it out and ended up with 2 total quota points, which is decidedly not great. However, this group of people made it easy to put that behind me and enjoy the festivities throughout the night. Thank you all for that.

Thanks again to all involved on an outstanding event! I can’t freakin’ wait to come back next year and do this all again. Redemption arc, anyone?

37 Likes

@Randy
@LPondgolf
@anon29849602
@Tron
@Soly
@OffTheDole
@anon24718094

I apologize if I’ve missed anyone!

9 Likes

Wow, what a blast!

I must’ve angered some golf gods because my game didn’t follow me to Jax until the 3rd round (-11 > -17 > +1). Regardless of the points, it was easy to have a great time with such amazing people. The near ace during cross country is going to haunt me for a while.

Thanks to @Privatecollection and all of the NLU guys for balancing fun and safety in our current environment. Can’t wait for the Team Spencer Levin reunion at Sweetens!

Also, have to shout out The Ugly Cupcake Muffinry in Jax Beach… An absolute delight of a breakfast.

10 Likes

Still processing how damn good those greens were after loads of play, some rain, etc etc. The greens were totally an unsung star of the show.

Congratulations @ChickPhilA for MVP, to @mintbucket for representing our flight and to @JCO for winning the event (and for helping me win the easiest bet I’ve ever made in my life.) Considering we’re still in a pandemic I didn’t wrestle anyone this year but I am 1,000,000% sure @MackReiter could take @Joezwickl.

Bananas to meet @LukeBoatright, @jwfickett, @BunkiePerkins, Travis Hill, finally, in person and nice to put faces to about 75 other names.

Some feedback:

1. The Committee might consider wildcard spots for the non-flight winning players.

2. The North Carolina RACDG chapter is intense and packed with talent and interesting folks.

3. Jacksonville Beach gets 7 out of 10 stars from me. Wonderful place for an event. Will undoubtedly return and the golf course is all you want. It’s really inspiring.

4. The ability to serve so many people during a pandemic is hard. A ton of creativity and work ethic from @Privatecollection.

5. Parimutuel betting and full transparency are not necessarily good partners.

6. If you like roommates who come home absolutely shit faced and will listen to TSGS podcast while they fall asleep (and forget to turn it off) I highly recommend @Joezwickl and @Double_Bogey_Dave. I enjoyed our time together more than the golf.

66 Likes

Pretty incredible how far a twitter thread among some college friends has grown into this.

Thanks @randy @Tron, @MerchCzar @djpie, @Soly. What a world.

49 Likes

Late night photo dump. Also, Southwest left my bags in Denver, so I won’t be able to hang the illustrious NIT flag just yet. Ya hate to see it.

Congrats again to your 2020 NIT Champion @JCO

And major shoutout to the homie @Hwhite for hosting me and the wife, and for even suggesting I join this crazy place.

What a world indeed, @Lazstradamus

45 Likes

@bmasters As I awaited my layover home in Philly I received note that the PA supreme court also rejected @djpie and my plea for all your 3rd round quota points to not count. In an also bit of smarminess they ended said correspondence with ‘Your attempts at invalidating a round AFTER the championship round was already played is odd, also making said complaints at a Wendy’s instead of official channels is equally troubling…’

You definitely are the winner and glad to see you represent our flight. Your birdie was well timed and tee ball to putt was glad I got to witness that!

Also as @JScore and I found out very quickly in our beverage cart duties, it’s very easy shotgunning Fat Tires, giving @ChickPhilA and @MrChickPhilA fireball, finding gloves for @CSquared07 when you have a large group of golf sickos encouraging that behavior.

16 Likes

The event was first class each day. The folks who have already commented said it all much better than I could, but I’m so thankful we had decent weather (after the opening salvo Friday morning), a fantastic golf course, and @Privatecollection there to make it all work flawlessly.

I continue to be amazed at how each time I get paired with someone new at these events, the camaraderie and shared love of the game is front and center. There’s nothing better than walking off the last green feeling like you’ve made some new friends or grown your friendship with those you already knew, even if it was just on the internet. The sense of community is real, organic, and rewarding to be a part of.

Team “Rippin’ Heaters” is going to the birdhouse, and @anon24718094 and I are gonna start working on the menu soon. Feels_good_man.jpeg

24 Likes

Since playing with @JCO Friday morning I told someone he gave off mega tour player vibes with his swagger down the fairways and seeing this picture of @Hwhite being nearly as tall as him while kneeling I can confirm that @JCO might actually be Chez Reavie.

37 Likes

The gallery wall is complete

44 Likes

This event was a ton of fun and it’s hard to be back in the office today. The cross country holes might be the highlight of the weekend for me. Seeing 20+ people go after “new” holes at the same time was an absolute blast.

14 Likes

Don’t think I can put into words quite so eloquently as others already have, but what a weekend that was. The course, weather, set-up, and organisation of the non-golf stuff was top class. Special mention to @Privatecollection and the chef for providing me with some top-notch vegan options, that was really appreciated.
Can’t tag everyone but I loved playing with everyone I was fortunate enough to get drawn with, and getting to meet new people/chat with existing friends, that’s what this stuff is all about. I’m quite proud of how I played, even if I did let down @Soly @anon47037505 and anyone else dumb enough to bet on me in the final. Shoutout @LukeBoatright for being my guide and making sure I enjoyed every minute of Saturday - a real top class bloke.
The real highlight was seeing the community as we all finished on 16 - the big cheers for everyone finishing, that was something special. Gave me a buzz that I haven’t had since my football days. Looking forward to coming back next year and trying to go one better!

24 Likes

FIFY

13 Likes

Could’ve been talking about my glory days of kicking/punting an egg-shaped ball, you don’t know.

5 Likes

Without question highlight of the trip was getting to put more faces to handles.

@chrismarz @LukeBoatright @JamesHCard @Espendogger @BunkiePerkins @oldpatricksmith @gagagolfer @MrVinegar206 were all awesome guise to play with, what an honor.

Do the Snell brothers have like a Benjamin button thing going on? They seem to look younger as they get older, asking for a friend

Also big shoutout to fellow CO native @skibum232 for shuttling me to and from the airport, that 4am pickup yesterday was a heroic effort.

JCO cemented himself into refuge lore with a gusty performance down the stretch no one will soon forget, congrats champ.

none of this would have been possible without @Privatecollection, living legend who’s just awesome to be around. Soly, Tron, Randy, DJ, Merchie… please protect her at all costs.

Lastly, enormous shout out to all my vibey boys, 2021 is gonna be ride.

Vibe Maestro out

25 Likes