LowCal vs NorCal - Copa de California

Very run down, at least it was when I was at Poly.

With that said, Avila Beach itself is a delightful little beach town. And it’s home to the last operating nuclear power plant in the state!

can confirm hunter ranch is a lot of fun

Very much my hood @GremlinGolfer. Like my roost situation, just call the event lost in the middle.

Echoing some of what’s been said:

Avila and black lake are owned by the same company who put 0$ into the courses, hard pass.

Monarch fucking stinks. They think they’re LACC and treat everyone like dirt. Course is alright but nothing special.

Cypress is the course I used to work at. Not the biggest budget but it’s in decent shape. I live across the street so I drive past the course every day.

Hunter Ranch in Paso and La Purisima in Lompoc are the two nicest courses in my opinion. Really good conditioning and tough layouts.

Morro Bay is the peoples pebble. Run by county parks so they don’t have a ton of support but it’s a really cool piece of land right on the harbor.

4 Likes

Know I’m new here but I spent the last few years in college playing around SLO! Monarch Dunes is far and away the most compelling in the county (and mega affordable for twilight) but admittedly not an easy walk. Morro is the best hang

Everything I read in this thread suggests Morro Bay is absolutely the call here.

3 Likes

Would do any and all formats of this whether it be home and home or in Central CA.

Avila stinks - room for maybe 6 holes and they fit 18 in there but the beach town is one of the best spots in the state

2 Likes

Respectfully, weekday twilight is $88 now. I play in the Tuesday night league there and they charge us $50 for 9 holes.

I agree with your take on Avila though, front 9 is incredibly cramped. Back 9 opens up more and feels like a real golf course at times.

We should host the 1st event @ morro bay, then determine the first home course the next year (le the winner is the home host in year 2.)

Does La Purisima still have the farmhouse package? Looked like an incredible spot for a stay and play and very reasonable but that was some years ago.

I’ve never played the big course at Monarch Dunes, which does look quite residential - maybe terrifyingly so given the winds they can get - but their short course is super good.

If it’s at Morro Bay, is @MNewman15 invited?

1 Like

OOF - I was referring to the happy hour rate (drink ticket & cart after 3pm). This was $45/$50 weekday/weekends when I was in school for the last few years but looks like they hiked it! $65 to ride there on a weekend is still better than any options at Hunter unfortunately

1 Like

Also I’ll go to bat for that 12 hole short course any day of the week - absolute gem

1 Like

The happy hour deal is a better bargain for sure. Can’t stress how dickish management has been the last couple years. I live in Arroyo Grande so Hunter is like 45ish from me. We only make the drive if we can get a 18 hole deal from one of the booking sights.

The challenge course is cool but again they keep raising the prices. Used to walk 12 holes for $12 and now it’s close to $30 I think.

ezgif.com-optimize (1)

The Barranca Bowl?

I’m just here for the shit talk

3 Likes

Another short course to look at is Sea Pines. It’s a 9 holer with a couple par 4’s just down the road from morro bay if you wanted to double dip one day.

@GremlinGolfer how many days/how many rounds of golf are you thinking? I can get you a list of recommendations for golf/lodging/restaurants tonight after work.

Copa de California…12v12 ryder cup event, 2 rounds. 1st 9 is fourball, 2nd 9 is foursomes, final 18 is singles

3 Likes

That would be sick. Morro would be the course for the mixed round. Cypress would be perfect for match play with a couple risk reward holes for some fireworks.

1 Like

Cypress ridge is entirely forgettable.

Monarch dunes has the best front 9 in the entire central coast

Morro has some sweet holes, would be amazing if the Eucalyptus trees were taken down and you got better views of the Rock. (Also Morro has the Grainy-est greens ive ever putted on)

Hunter ranch is sweet very fun track.

I spent most of my time at Dairy creek before they closed the front 9, but thats another 9 hole option, assuming that hasnt been closed

Either way im very down to play. have lots of friends in Slo that I go down and visit a bunch

1 Like

The Hella in the Cella (Winery golf combo)
Sierra Cup
Great Pacific Pitch n Putt