Inaugural Old Fashioned: Irish Coffee edition - Tee times and Pairings post 215

Anyone in here playing either the Ope-N or the Summer Festival? Be nice to put some faces to names. Say hi if you’re at the Ope-N, I’ll be the nimrod with the white Titleist bag, sheep headcover, and too much red, white, and blue on the rest of my stuff

1 Like

@grandpa_jones and I will be at the Ope’n, but he’s being cagey about committing to this event (for good reason though).

2 Likes

I think i have a round with you at the OpeN. I’ll be there with my sheep headcover as well.

1 Like

I’ll be at both.

1 Like

Sure enough, Saturday morning. Should be fun!

Very fair, see you at the Ope-N!

Pleasure playing today btw, certainly left a few out there but vibes were high by the end!

2 Likes

Wow!!! Last night I was thinking about Fall and how I need to play this course still, and I said tomorrow I’ll call Kohler, and then see if anyone else on the Refuge would be interested in a Fall boondoggle up there. Imagine my delight when I discovered this already exists. Consider me on the waitlist.

9 Likes

Love it

1 Like

We’ve had some dropouts already so reminder get your name on the waitlist if you’re interested as I’m sure there will be more. Working on some other fun touches to hopefully make this a really fun event and hoping to see you there.

Also re-posting this as it’s sort of buried in the chat now if anyone takes a look:

On behalf of @Amholzman24 and I, shout out again for getting this started, we are proud to announce The Old Fashioned! Why is it called The Old Fashioned? It’s because we’re gonna be playing some old fashion high school golf. We are currently slated for 40 players, which just like the WI high school format will be split into 8 teams of 5. Everyone plays their own ball net stroke play, and each team will drop the worst of their 5 scores and the remaining 4 scores will be added together for the team’s score. Lowest team score wins. We’ll also have an individual category. Also just like old fashion high school golf, who in the world knows what the weather is gonna be. This and hopefully a few more surprises along the way, spots are filling fast so if you haven’t gotten your name on the list yet better do so quick. Hope to see you in November!

5 Likes

Getting a little closer now.

As is tradition with the refuge, we are going to have a charity aspect to this event.

The total cost of the event is $150. This includes golf, cart, range access, and donation to Angelman Syndrome Foundation. Our own @Ragsy47 has raised thousands of dollars for this cause and we’re hoping to help increase that as much as possible!

September 15 will be our first cutdown date. Please review and make plans for this by that date.

October 2nd is our contract date. Refunds will be issued up until that date.

Please venmo @ashton-holzman entry fees. Please include your refuge handle & “Old fashioned” in the memo. Do not use goods & services.

If you would like to donate additionally to @Ragsy47 the link will be below.

Thank you to all and I can’t wait for this event.

8 Likes

Thanks very much for this @Amholzman24 It’s very kind and the support I’ve received so far from the NLU community has been unreal

A little bit about angelman syndrome. It is a rare genetic disorder and the main traits are development delays/lack of speech/seizures and sleep issues. On the plus side people with AS always have a happy demeanor.

In short though it means lifelong care. If you would like to know more here is the website

My son Frankie was diagnosed in January 2022 after having a seizure in his car seat on the highway. It’s been completely life changing but he always has a smile on his face and life to him is always great!

To bring awareness/ raise money I run the chicago marathon. This is my 2nd year and so far thanks to the generosity of family and friends I’ve raised about $25k. I’ve also applied to London/Tokyo next year as if my little mate can smile each day as he works through his challenges the least I can do is run a little bit.

My marathon link is below

https://support.angelman.org/fundraiser/4356415

Thank you again. People’s kindness and generosity genuingly means a lot to me and my family and can’t wait to knock it around with you all

Cheers
Martin

17 Likes

Paid…can’t wait.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Martin, cannot wait to host you this November!

Side note, I haven’t in a few years but I’m a marathoner and ultramarathoner myself. The Chicago Marathon was my favorite road race. Very cool you took on that challenge and did some good in the process!

3 Likes

Hate that I missed the early sign-up and didn’t see this sooner. I have a wedding in Milwaukee on Nov. 4, so I hope to move up from the waitlist. If not, might still bring my sticks and play in the MKE area.

5 Likes

Looks like there’s a spot that opened up, next man up!!! @Mr.Sunday

I am very much looking forward to playing in this.

4 Likes

Indeed had an opening, reminder anyone seeing this post or if interested get your name on the list as our first cutdown is approaching!

1 Like

Love to see it!

3 Likes

I’ll have my payment venmo’d over tomorrow. Definitely do not want to be cut from this one.

Annnnnnnnnnnd paid!

1 Like

Reminder cut down date #1 is tomorrow

2 Likes