Heavyweights: Thicc Boys of the Refuge Unite!

Can we all take a step back and appreciate the genius of screenwriter Steven Brill? His first four screenplays were Mighty Ducks, D2, Heavyweights, and D3. If he had died in 1996 he would have gotten the John Cazale treatment.

3 Likes

I know just posting random movie quotes is super lame, but I can’t stop.

“Get out of here you devil log!”

2 Likes

I have a buddy that grunts that whenever he picks up a branch in the way on the course as he chucks it into the woods. “Looks like my mans PACKIN!”

@2down and I have been keeping each other accountable the last few months to work out, eat healthy, and practice our golf games. He’s shown some real dedication and progress, good job my man.
I’m all for some accountability-keeping!

6’3 and 275 here. Really feeling the effects of the weight. It is keeping me from living the life I want to live for sure.
My goal is to start exercising regularly and making healthier food choices one meal at a time.

I’m also in recovery from an eating disorder and just want to say that eating disorders affect roughly 10 million men in America (not just a women’s trouble) and believe it or not are the most deadly mental illness. If anyone needs to chat, feel free to DM me.

27 Likes

I never watched D3.

This quote gets me every time though.

2 Likes

You got the Buddy System down

8 Likes

Im not going to camp with a bunch of fat loads!

3 Likes

Howdy. 6’4, 265-70 checking in. Been playing a lot of basketball and cutting out the booze, trying to drop down to 250 before a few weddings in the winter. If I can operate at 220, I’ll be happy. I drive around a lot for work going to different games and such, and so I’m often put in a situation where fast food is my only recourse. Gonna start timing meals better and fixing that this football/volleyball season.

2 Likes

I am well on my way to skinny fat / dad bod and it kills me…

Currently staring 200 dead in the eyes at 6’0 (probably closer to 5’11 if we’re in the nest)

Sympathy ate with my wife during pregnancy, and having a hard time kicking that habit.

Using too many excuses (too hot in AZ being the main one) because I’m not a huge gym guy…I’d rather walk / hike / bike

Need to minimize sugar (I drink way too much pop (yes pop, not soda) – please shame me), and minimize unhealthy snacking (aka transition to a healthy snack), and get back in the physical activity arena

5 Likes

Here to try and provide a little help from my recent experience trying to lose weight. I am 5’10" and at my worst was probably 230ish (pretty bad!). I was decent at hiding it under a shirt, but it was definitely apparent when I started seeing pictures and when a size large stopped fitting it was a “holy shit” moment for me.

Fast forward 5 months, I have now lost a little over 30 pounds and it is seriously all about the diet. Exercise will definitely help melt it off faster, but the diet is the biggest piece and when I fall off the diet and keep exercise, I just stay in place (which is nice). My biggest suggestions are the following:

1. Track your food via an app (LoseIt, MyFitness Pal, etc…) - it is crazy how much some things add up and you are unaware of it. I tried to keep it around 1500 calories a day, which is tough!
  2. Stop Drinking as much as feasibly possible - I still went out on weekends, but just cut the drinking by 1/2 or so and made that sacrifice for a bit. Also, saves you a bunch of money
  3. Do not punish yourself for a bad day. You got fast food or ate a bag of chips, OH WELL! Get back on the train your next meal
  4. I picked up running and this helped so much. Pounding out miles on the treadmill can suck, but it is fun to see how much you improve over a month or so when you really dedicate yourself to it

There are some awesome reddit threads (loseit, progresspics, 1200isplenty) that gave me motivation as well and that I still visit whenever I sign into reddit. Feel free to send me a DM if you have any specific questions or want someone to help keep you on track. I still plan to lose another 20 or so, but summer has been about maintaining. @HaveOuimet @Slasher

11 Likes

what’s wrong with this? you don’t need to go to the gym to exercise. just do this, a lot more

losing weight is a lot easier when it’s also a social activity, and going to the gym alone fucking SUCKS.

Nothing wrong with doing this, it is the fact that I am currently NOT doing this because it is 110+ degrees every day

you should do it, just drink tons of water and replenish those vitamins. sweat is healthy

So I’m reading about it a little and their group challenges are kinda shitty by the looks of it. I’ll keep looking around.
If nothing else we can maybe just set up a big pot and a spreadsheet and pay in and out on the honor system.

1 Like

its dry heat though, right?

1 Like

Just stop drinking pop. Seriously you will lose 5-10 lbs from doing that.

2 Likes

Mrs. Lament is a physical therapist assistant and certified personal trainer, and she’s put together a few circuit workouts for me in the past. They were very effective and can be scaled to optimize strength gains or fat loss.

I can provide them in a google sheet if anyone is interested.

6 Likes

It’s all about reducing harm. Slip ups happen, but not letting them slide into multi-day benders is the key!

Congrats on your weight loss/getting healthy man and thanks for the tips

2 Likes

+1 for the apps that track calories

1 Like

guys, if y’all gonna do this, i’ll actually do this too. never before had someone to actually go on this weight loss journey with so maybe we’ll actually find some results for once

lets get after it

im actually pretty excited about this for once

4 Likes