Every Golf Course Birdie Every Hole Roll Call

I’ve only played it once, but thought the course was terrific. Random Thursday afternoon in early May 2014. Knowing it was designed by Tillinghast, I was confident the design would be solid, and it was. I was really blown away by the land itself - for whatever reason, I did not expect so much elevation change, which made for some really great and varied holes. I was also really impressed with the conditions. Greens rolled a little slow, but absolutely pure, flawless condition. Fairways were lush, but firm. I think they charged me $22 to walk. It didn’t hurt that it was pretty empty, and I felt like I had the place to myself. I’ve been afraid to go back, because I know it can’t always be that good. I think I just hit it on the perfect day.

2 Likes

I play in leagues at two different nearby courses, and I’m going to include both of them (which gives me 45 holes).

I imagine there’s going to be a lot of late season loops, where I only care about a hole or two.

1 Like

Been doing this myself at my gaff in England. We have two courses, Old & New. We tend to play the New more in winter as it drains better and I’ve knocked off 6 holes so far (5, 6, 9, 14, 15 & 16). Only two on the Old (1 & 14) but I’ve only played it once.

I’ve been really enjoying this though the 8 foot birdie putt on a hole you know is a rare birdie is a proper knee trembler now. I’ve already yanked 3 or 4 past the hole.

2 Likes

In on this. Well, as soon as the course opens around here which may not be for a month or so considering there’s still a decent amount of snow on it.

1 Like

I’m in, I’ll be so bold as to throw in the eagle the par 5’s too, only have two of them and it seems doable.

So far no eagles but starting on the 2/2/19 birds @ 3, 10, 12, 16, 17

This should be fun.

1 Like

Can we get an update from the Killhouse on the progress of the birdie challenge? @Soly @djpie @Tron @Randy @MerchCzar

Thanks man, I just looked there and wasn’t sure if it was being regularly updated and didn’t see a date on there

My official quest for this season starts today at my home course.

I don’t play any one course regularly enough to make this worthwhile as an annual challenge, but some years back I did start keeping a list of “ringer scores” for courses that I’ve played several times, or that I expect I will.

Basically, what’s the best score I’ve ever recorded on a given hole, and what that adds to.

After a while I started keeping my anti-ringer score as well, for the comedy of how good and how awful you can be at the same course. Kinda can get in your head, of course, when you realize that you’ve never been able to par a hole, let alone birdie it.

Have a few courses where I’m at 60 or 61, nothing in the 50s yet.

I don’t think I’ll be playing swope often enough this year to do this but might as well give it a shot.

1 Like

You can just knockout all 18 birdies when we play together on Saturday.

1 Like

Just updated it on the site, adding a birdie for Randy and a few more for TC.

5 Likes

Just hole 16 for the group best ball to have all 18 covered. Which is worth nothing beyond a collective high five, of course!

1 Like

Our season “officially” started on April 1. I’ve posted 4 rounds so far on my home course, made birdies on 7 of the 18 holes. 5, 9 , 10, 11, 12, 14, & 17. That’s three of the four par 5s, and 12 is the #1 handicap par 4. Feels like I’m off to a good start.

Loved Swope, need to get back there.

1 Like

Bumping this as we’re getting close to the end of the season in a few places around the country.

I finally ticked the last par-5 recently, and close to closing the front 9 which will allow for a few 9 hole rounds to “count” using my arbitrary rules.

1 Like

I have 3 holes remaining at Carolina GC…5th, 14th, and 15th. Among the handful of guys in on the bet, at least a couple are close, but I am currently leading.

One fun story from this quest…through > 125 rounds, I had never birdied the 3rd hole, an intimidating 201 yard (235 from the tips) par 3. A handful of close calls, barely missing putts from 6 to 25 feet. A few weeks ago, I hit the back left section of the green, with the flag in the front right, on the ~35 yard deep green. With multiple breaks across and down, I didn’t even try to read my 80 footer, just hit it straight at the hole, trying to get the right pace, and I holed it! I was more excited than I can recall for any golf shot. My next round, in a tournament, I hit a laser straight at the flag, landing just short and rolling up inside a foot, for an easy birdie. 0 for 125, then 2 for 2. Crazy game.

8 Likes

Let’s see

1: no
2: yes
3: yes
4: yes
5: no
6: yes
7: eagle
8: yes
9: yes
10: yes
11: yes
12: yes
13: yes
14: yes
15: yes
16: eagle
17: yes
18: yes

Damn. 1 and 5 left. I have 24 days.

2 Likes

Will anyone in the NLU crew complete this task… or has the “private golf” got in the way…
My moneys on no one gets it