DMV Fall Classic: Charity Donation Details Posted

Guise, and @RobertHunter

Got some terrible news yest, as most of you know I’m expecting a son mid October, however yesterday we got some news that broke my heart. I’m required to be in isolation now for 14 days prior to birth if I am to be allowed in the hospital. While that was an easy call as a dad, it sucks that I’ll have to pull out of this event now. Covid really sucks bro’s. Really miffed about this one as I’d already invested in some woods and clothing . Isolation starts on sept 26.

13 Likes

Like you said, an easy call. Still sorry we won’t get to see you out there, though!

Just got home from an awesome round at Westfields. Tied a personal best at 80, so that was nice, but I felt as though I’d provide some feedback regarding the current conditions of the course.

Similar to most courses in the area, they’ve had a difficult time battling the wild weather. That being said, Westfield’s tee boxes are in the best shape of any of the local courses I’ve played in the area. Some greens are in rough shape, as are some fairways, but overall it’s ok. It was cart path only, as they’re trying to give the fairways some rest. Additionally, some spots are in real though shape, but they’re being proactive and overseeding and watering to address the problems areas.

Also, I am a type one diabetic. I owe them some major props for blocking off the fourth spot in the group so that I could ride solo due to being considered high risk.

2 Likes

Guise,

I bought a ticket, filled out the form and look forward to meeting you all.

I’ll be playing:
Persimmon 1w, 3x
3-PW- Mizuno t-zoids from 99-2000.
Probably a 10 year old Vokey wedge.
Some form of right-handed putter.

You purists (@JohnnyPanton) are just gonna have to deal with the set I have. Sorry.

Whatever I wear looked good 20 years ago and it will look good 20 years from now.

See you in historic Clifton, Virginia!

19 Likes

Just registered hope I am not too late. Live in DC have been hoping for an event close by. Headed to Parents this weekend hope they have some classic clubs laying around the basement!

1 Like

PUMPED. Just ran through some initial scripting. Not NIT eligible but will show up dressed and ready. This is gonna have to be a quick trip. I get in Saturday night so hope to catch a few drinks with the gang, we play Sunday then fly I back Monday afternoon.

Sending it,
@Lazstradamus

6 Likes

Hey everyone!

Very quick update. I played Westfields on Sunday, and like @DC3Putter said it’s a great course that’s suffering the same issues that pretty much every course in the DMV area is right now. Talking with the staff, they got as much rain over the past two weeks as they used in irrigation last year—tough to handle even if they weren’t clay based soils. The course is an easy walk, and we’re going to have a solid setup for tees for everyone playing the classic clubs. The greens are devilishly tricky, and having played it from 6500 with my persimmons and blades (we’re not sending y’all off from that far back), I can tell you that positioning off of the tee is going to be pretty damn important.

As of right now, we have somewhere in the ballpark of 45-50 participants. We can drop people out easier than adding them, so if you’re on the fence or inviting other please let me know by tomorrow night. They’ve got 40 spots blocked for us right now, but I’m going to call tomorrow and give them our final ceiling number, as members can reserve tee times two weeks out so it won’t be possible to add others past this Sunday.

ALSO. I have received all of the prizes from eBay, they are both ridiculous and incredible—you will want to win them. Here are the categories you’ll be competing in:

Low Net
Low Gross
Low Net - Classic
Low Gross - Classic
Longest Persimmon Drive (there will be a driver at the hole for all to use if they need—please be gentle)
Closest to the Pin
Closest to the Pin - Classic (might have a spare old blades set at the hole, TBD)
Longest Putt

Still figuring out how to decide the costume contest, but it will likely be a blind, ranked-choice ballot. When we check in that morning you’ll let me know if you’re NIT eligible and we’ll put something together.

Looking forward to seeing y’all in 17 days!

9 Likes

Wanted to see if there were still spots available for this and if so, how to register? Also, confirming you don’t need to play with old school blades or legit woods…

2 Likes

Here’s the registration, and definitely no need to play with old school blades or legit woods!

Awesome! I probably have a foursome (myself included, all local to the area) that would be interested in participating as we are trying to find a larger golfing community in the area. Any chance to be grouped together?

We can try and figure something out! Groupings and all of that aren’t going to be settled until the week of—at the very least we should be able to make sure you’re only split up in 2x2. Make sure you submit four registrations just so I get the numbers right and put your preferences for pairing on the registration sheet.

if you are playing together, are you really becoming a part of a larger golfing community in the area?

if the 4 of you play together, you might meet 3-4 other people throughout the course of the day…but if all 4 of you play in different groups, then boom, you just met 12 new people right there

i know its more comfortable to play with your buddies, etc but damn it can be a lot of fun to join up with a random group and hang with someone different for 5 hours…seek discomfort my guy

12 Likes

Signed up for this last night and super excited! First NLU meet up for me and my expectations are high! It’s a perfect middle location for me and a law school buddy so we are using it as an opportunity to meet up. Can’t wait to launch 'em gents!

4 Likes

Just a brief recap since there’s some activity and we’re closing in on the cutoff:

Sunday, September 27 at Westfields GC in Clifton, VA
9:00 am Shotgun Start (should arrive at the course at 8:30 or earlier to register/warmup)
$110 registration fee, to be paid on the day of
Classic clubs and attire encouraged, but not mandatory (classic defined as pre-1990ish)
Headshots (iPhone portrait mode) available
NIT Spot to be awarded via Costume Contest because this is the first Refuge event in the area and I don’t want people killing themselves over 3 foot putts with old clubs
We’re going to be raising money for the Living Classrooms Foundation’s COVID-relief fund, and I’ll be posting some opportunities and details about that next week

7 Likes

Probably a dumb question, but how do we know if we’re eligible? Just if we haven’t qualified already?

You have to be a Nest member to play in the NIT, so there’s that. Is there a list of attendees?

3 Likes

I’m going to send out an excel sheet with everyone’s info by email later this weekend, people can put Nest status and whatnot into the sheet once it’s distributed

2 Likes

Oh yea, big brain fart moment right there. We’re qualified then LFG

2 Likes

How close are you staying? Definitely down for a few, or 10, drinks Saturday night.

1 Like

9 Likes