DFW Match Play Tournament - Championship Match on 10/2

I’ve been putting off posting the summary. I’ll make it short and sweet:

@angray1997 bludgeoned me 5&4. There wasn’t a birdie on the scorecard between us. GCoD might be able to save on their landscaping budget after the two of us spent so much time pelting trees with golf balls.

3 Likes

Would like to commend @bigslice on being a true class act. Neither one of us had our A, B, or C games. Most importantly there is about to be a Mrs. BigSlice after Masters Saturday. Then off to Jamaica for his honeymoon Sunday, and will miss the entire weekend Spieth returns to glory. Tough scheduling conflict.

4 Likes

Updated bracket:

@FWTexas @chaser have you guys been able to lock down a date for your match?

Watching y’alls match up close was a delight! @Kgilles5 absolutely murders the ball and wears Jordan’s while doing it. And @bigslice is a true competitor and quite convincing on trying to make flops from bunkers to win holes.

IGC lived up to the hype for sure. Thanks for letting me join! @SpiethGotMono

4 Likes

I feel this in my soul. I got married April 13th of 2019 in a national park in Utah. Cat won the Masters on April 14th…not a whole lot of internet and TVs out there

1 Like

I would like to say I had a blast but to be honest golf is never that much fun when you suck that badly. Still better than not playing my golf! Congrats to @Kgilles5 on moving on to the semis and good luck to whoever has to play him. Any time he needs to make a clutch shot he will do it.

Irving Golf Club is a great muni as well, no complaints from me on the course. Other than the finish walk on 18 straight up the hill after getting your teeth kicked in, but that’s a me problem not IGC problem.

Hopefully this Texas Rangers deal can work out at the end, would love to play there!

3 Likes

We step up to the tee in 45min! Should be a lot of fun.

Windy and overcast, both coolers are locked and loaded, perhaps some select tobacco products.

6 Likes

We’ve got 1 spot open on Wednesday - 7:40am at Stevens Park if anyone wants to join. Possibly will have 2 spots available.

If @chaser had a theme song it would go a little something like this:

Lord, I was born a scramblin’ man
Tryin’ to hit a fairway, and doin’ the best I can
And when it’s time for match play, I hope you’ll understand
That I was born a scramblin’ man

He may have only hit 2-3 fairways yesterday but it didn’t matter, Chase pretty much took it wire to wire and closed it out 3 and 2. I did my best to make it interesting at a few points, we traded off w’s on 1-3, he went 2up on 4, then no blood until I took 9 to finish the front down 1. After decisive victories on 13 and 14 he’s 4up and I try to mount a comeback starting with 15 but eventually he closes it out on 16.

Great day at Squaw Creek!

4 Likes

Haha. Well put my man. We had a great time out there contending with gusty winds and leafy greens. And, a course that doesn’t sell beer? Luckily, we brought 4 that got us off the front 9.

@FWTexas absolutely crushes the ball to near @Kgilles5 levels and, like a cheap Tinder date with crazy eyes, just never seemed to go away.

After a frightening range session full of shanks, I was lucky to advance the ball for positive yards. Nathan battled through tough putting with grace and composure. Anytime your match competitor likes to turn the music up, throw back a few beverages, and is good with 2 off the first tee - you know it’ll be an enjoyable day.

5 Likes

Good morning! Jimmy Carter dispatched me to Stevens Park this morning to serve as a non partisan observer of a heated contest between two known leftists, @mctrees02 and @SliceyMcShankerston. I can assure you that we will name a winner today after all LEGAL shots are counted. More to come.

5 Likes

AS after six, headed to the two short par 3s and then Omaha Beach.

4 Likes

T’s&P’s when y’all make it to 9 fairway/Omaha Beach.

1 Like

Two neeeerrvy par putt misses on 8, headed to Omaha Beach AS

4 Likes

AS through 12 after a near ace by @SliceyMcShankerston on 12

2 Likes

@mctrees02 is 2U with 3 to go

1 Like

Did they survive the hike up 16, I mean Mt. Kilimandallas?

2 Likes

Detailed report forthcoming.

DuckDuckHook coming at you live from Dallas, Texas. A bluebird fall Texas day at Stevens Park with a slight morning chill at the outset, burning off into a real nice one. 10 strokes were given at the start of the round to @SliceyMcShankerston (“Slick”). After a nervy doink off the cage on the first tee and the pre-arranged breakfast ball, Slick kept it between the lines throughout the front nine against his steady opponent, @mctrees02 (“Tree”). All Square after nine. Tree took a one up on 11 with a steady par as Slick eeked out a tough five after a couple wild shots. On 12 to a very back pin, Tree went long into the bushes, Slick flagged one dead center to a couple feet and coooooooozied his birdie juuust in the cup.

On the short par 4 13th across the ravine with bushes left, Slick pulled his iron right, leaving a clear 150 in. Tree took an aggressive line along the . . . trees. Slick got on in regulation on the right side of the green, sixty feet away from the far left pin. Tree hit a nifty, nifty wedge over the tree that was one revolution short of trundling down to the hole. He hit his lag from the fringe to about 3 feet and Slick’s lag was at least 6 feet out. Slick gave a quite generous concession to Tree and couldn’t convert the six footer. Tree 1U.

On the long par 4 14th, Slick pushed his shot just left of the green, under the hole and with a lot of green to work with. Tree’s thin bullet did not cut enough and stayed in a tricky spot in the fringe right above the right pin, short sided. Slick hit his chip short, and Tree, after a very professional free relief drop from the sprinkler head (and the overwatered mushy fringe), tip-toed a putt to 18 inches, which Slick did not concede this time. Easy par, Slick with a bogey to halve with the pop. Tree still 1U.

On 15, perhaps the signature hole driving into the skyline, Tree striped his fairway finder hybrid dead center. Slick pulled the crap out of an iron, couldn’t find his ball, OB local rule 2 stroke drop in fairway, then hit his approach OB into the street. Easy concession. Tree 2U, three to play.

On 16, Colligan-Kemp’s rendition of Tillinghast’s Great Hazard swallowed the match. Slick was popping, Tree hit his hybrid dead center, and Slick pulled his iron right with a weird angle across the ravine. Tree’s second found the greenside bunker and Slick pushed his second into the woods and possibly the hazard. Drop three, and hit four to the back fringe. Tree bladed a his third out of the bunker to a similar spot on the back fringe. The front right pin, was covered in leaves, like the leaf bag got emptied right on the hole. The combatants strategically swept leaves to clear a path for their shots and slyly in the line of their opponents. Slick’s chip came up 10 feet short. Tree nearly jarred a really long putt from the fringe for an easy par, meaning Slick needed to hole his bogey putt to keep going. He gave it an aggressive stroke, but it just never broke to his read.

Tree wins 3&2, will face @Kgilles5 in the semis, assuring us a lefty in the finals.

Our combatants were cordial and quietly competitive, going about their business with class all day. It was a fair match, properly handicapped, and conducted with utmost respect for the rules of golf and for the good of the game. Both participants put up good personal scores. Truly a joy to audit and report on this match.

This is DuckDuckHook for Refuge Match News, reporting live from Dallas. Back to you.

12 Likes

Appreciate the recap. Extremely professional and thorough. One minor correction, due to poor information I gave you pre-round was that I actually only got 7 strokes instead of 10.

Hell of a round today with the par machine - @mctrees02. I had him right where I wanted after playing some of my best golf through the first 12 holes at AS and popping on 14, 15, and 16. Unfortunately, the blowups that are always looming reared their head at the worst possible moment.

4 Likes