Central Pennsylvania (PA) Thread

I just moved to Manheim last summer and with all that went into moving didn’t get to explore much of the Lancaster area golf scene. Any insight into the best public courses would be appreciated! I pass by Evergreen all the time and will probably hit that up from time to time since it’s only 5 minutes away, but seeing as though it is just an Executive Course I was looking for some other options. Any thoughts on Tree Top vs. Evergreen as far as short courses go? I see signs for that on my way to work. It seems like from recent and older posts that Overlook and Crossgates are fairly popular as far as regular 18 hole courses so I will probably try to check them both out.

Yeah, not to mention there’s a lot of hazard and ob that creep in pretty damn close to some greens at Crossgrates, most notably, holes 1, 2, 11, 14, and 18. I played gates today and was pleased with the greens and course, especially after the rain we just had.

1 Like

Tree Top and Evergreen are good walking courses and are cheap/quick options if you’re just looking to get out and hit the ball. The best and closest option from Manheim is Iron Valley. It’s hard, but there’s some very cool holes, lots of variety and it’s a straight shot up 72 to 322 just into Lebanon. I think the general consensus amongst the thread is Pilgrims Oak(my favorite) in southern Lancaster and Royal Manchester in NE York are the other best public options, but aren’t as close to you as IV.

Thanks for the input! I did play Iron Valley once awhile ago before being in the area. I think it had fairly recently opened. Interested to get up there and see how it has matured!

Planning to play a round at Crossgates tomorrow afternoon around 1 or 1:15.
Anyone is welcome me to join, let me know and I’ll add you to the tee sheet.

Has anyone played Iron Valley north of Lancaster? If so how is it? Off tomorrow thinking about heading up there to give it a run.

Shameless plug. Sorry, I mean to post more than just when I refer to my site but I did a review of IV about 6 years ago. Hopefully it’s helpful. https://golfadelphia.com/2013/04/14/iron-valley/

1 Like

Thank you for your service.

1 Like

It’s a decent Dye course, very unique with some amazing views and huge elevation changes.
Be warned, If the wind is blowing, as it often is up there, it can play really tough. I have played it with some high handicaps, and it can really beat them up.
I always enjoyed it though, it’s a great challenge.

Lol, I totally forgot I had that up as it’s from several years ago. I stand by it though. White Clay’s hot dogs are pretty good, although I usually opt for the lobster mac n cheese.

Just played Bucknell, an Ault redesign, and it was stupendous. The real reason for this post however, is the somewhat unique presence of pew bunkers on holes 3 and 15. I asked the caddymaster about them, and he said they were new as of last year, also that Oakmont directly supported the installation financially. Does anyone have any insight on this?

2 Likes

I’m fortunate to call Bucknell my alma mater, and was able to play that course a bunch. It’s not very long, but it’s super tight in places, and when they have the greens rolling it can give people fits. Anyways, when I went there they didn’t have the church pews there, but it sounds like they were a nod to the original architect, who had ties to Oakmont:

http://www.fownesfoundation.org/bucknell-golf-club.html

1 Like

Greens and fairways were by far the nicest I’ve played on in this region. Kinda neat that the Fownes backed it; for my first time playing they felt completely natural and I thought it they had been there forever. Also got to see a greenskeeper mandhandling a floating mower cutting the pews.

Same. My biggest regret is that I didn’t take advantage of the ridiculous student unlimited deal. I think it was like $250 a semester, I wish had been more into golf then.

1 Like

I played there a few years ago in a tournament supporting a friend’s foundation. Unfortunately we had pretty heavy rains for almost the entire round. But it was still an enjoyable course and I think it says a lot that it was able to be playable. I remember some fun holes and interesting greens. But the most memorable was having two (i think) holes that you have to hit over the “driveway” for the course. I always wondered what happens if a car is coming at the wrong time.

Hitting over the road is definitely a massive quirk. That being said, at least with both shots you have a direct view of the road and any cars coming. The only other experience I’ve had with this was at Galen Hall, a course closer to Philly, which has an exceedingly difficult, blind second shot on a par 5, over a double yellow lined road. I could at least settle over my shot knowing it was in my control to not hit someone’s car.

I remember pulling in and half way there thinking “holy crap I’m driving through the middle of the fairway!” I couldn’t remember how well you could see oncoming cars, but I do remember hitting and having it in the back of my mind that I hoped no one would drive in front of me.

The road cuts through holes 2 (par 5 with the church pews) and hole 11. On #2, the road isn’t in play for your tee shot, and usually your second shot is landing well past it. On #11 however, it is definitely in play. I seem to remember it was about a 250-265 carry (depending on the tees), and there were a couple times where I had bounced it off the road on the fly (shortens up the hole for sure). #11 is also the first hole you come to if you are driving in, and if you don’t hang back and check for players on the tee, there is chance you could get doinked. Never heard of it happening though.

It’s been a while since I have played there, but want to get back soon. All three of the par 5’s are great, and I love some of the more quirky holes like #12. It could probably use some judicious tree management though.

Grew up playing here, cool to see a nice little article about Donald Ross’ nice little Tumblebrook Golf Course in Coopersburg, PA.

Anyone looking to play this Saturday?
Would prefer to play somewhere west of Harrisburg but could be swayed to make the drive all the way there if anyone is free!