Central Pennsylvania (PA) Thread

I am going to be in Lancaster in the spring (Mid April), and based on what I have read in this thread, that counts as Central PA? Seems like Pilgrim’s Oak and Wyncote are both must plays in the area. Thoughts on a 3rd course that we should play? Thank you for any advice or help with this.

2 Likes

Depends on what you are looking for. Galen Hall is a fun track with a bit of quirk. Tillinghast designed some of the holes including the Moat hole that some say is the oldest island green still in use. I like to walk there but I wouldn’t say it’s an easy walk. Iron Valley is a nice mountain course but not walkable. I am also a big fan of Dauphin Highlands. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

This is great. Thank you. Looking forward to playing some rounds of golf again, once things warm up.

Would be happy to try and join you for one when you are here. Just drop a line when it gets closer.

2 Likes

Galen Hall is a course that everyone should at least play once.

Pilgrim’s Oak is very nice - depending on how often you walk vs. ride it might be a tough walk if you don’t usually walk.

Iron Valley is 100% a riding course - but very cool.

Royal Manchester, outside of York, is another course that you might want to consider. It’s probably 35-40 minutes from Lancaster. It bills itself as a links, and while obviously not a true links, it’s well-conditioned with some good holes and nice views. Later in the summer the rough can be brutal, but in mid-April it might not be as bad.

2 Likes

Really looking forward to it. Any recommendations for restaurants or anything that we should check out in the area? Thank you again.

I live in downtown Lancaster, great little city with a ton of good food options. Luca is out go-to, amazing food. https://lucalancaster.com/
If you have extra time, taking a walk around downtown Lancaster is enjoyable, I would especially recommend walking through Lancaster Central Market if you can make it on a Tues, Fri, or Sat.

2 Likes

My buddy lives in York and is a member of CC of York. Still says Royal Manchester is the most fun round out there.

2 Likes

Royal Manchester is definitely a fun course. I thought about listing it but thought Wyncote was the better “links” style course. I have heard good things about CC of York but have not been there.

3 Likes

Wyncote is great. Really enjoyed it the few times I have played. Should be playing CC of York this Fall when I go out to visit him on our way to our yearly trip which is going to be at Penn National this year. He’s also using his connections to get us 2 rounds at Hershey Country Club for a smaller trip amongst 4 of us. Haven’t played anything but Wyncote and the Penn National course before, so should be some good exposure to courses I would never normally see.

That sounds like a solid little trip. Feel free to holler if someone drops out and you need to fill a spot haha.

1 Like

FYI, if you want to add evening rounds, Penn National has a super twilight rate. I think it’s like $15 to walk as many holes as you can starting roughly 2 hours before sunset (depends who is working). The course is usually very empty so we usually get 11-13 holes in but have gotten as many as 16 (probably couldn’t have gotten 18 in, but it would have been rough). Really a great value to get some bonus golf on a nice course.

4 Likes

Anyone gonna be in attendance for this next month?

Wanted to, but we have a track meet

I’ll save you a grab & go breakfast if you can grab the ball I launch off the side of the mountain on #1 at IV.

2 Likes

Let me know the ball brand/model and #.

Looks like Pilgrim’s Oak is planning to aerate the greens on March 27th. I was unfortunately thinking of playing there on April 6th (10 days). Anyone know if its usually the small or large tines? or how quick the spring turnaround is?

Has anyone played sugarloaf golf club? Website and pictures looks solid. Playing with a couple of my college buddies Saturday Saturday morning there.

1 Like

The pics definitely have me intrigued, let us know how it is!

1 Like

Will do! I’ve heard good things and the price is very reasonable so I am optimistic

1 Like