Armchair Architect Needed: Help design backyard wedge range

You get it, big time. In an ideal world, we will have conditions that are good enough to get the ball in the (big) hole predictably enough to be fun. Also don’t want to have something that takes more than an hour on a Saturday morning to get back into playing shape. @BCNSuper has a tractor that can knock out the open spaces. We will need to identify a bagging mower that can cut super low for the greens. Will also need one of those rollers that you put sand or water in and can roll it by hand. If we can take the bumps out of the greens and get them running 3 on the stimp, we really have something unique IMO.

2 Likes

In my opinion, you should ask around. Just go to your home golf course and talk to the superintendent and ask what types of grasses you should use. While you are there you should also ask if they have any used greens equipment. Getting a used mower may look good for the short term. If you watched fried eggs golf, they talk about how you should get a new mower that is reliable. In my opinion, that is what you should do. With all of the new technology coming out this will help you in the long term. Also if you invest in a mower you should look for one that is adjustable so you can also cut your tees and aprons/ fairways. Another thing you can do with some of the new mowers is attach a roller behind it. This will help keep your greens stay a good pace and also help the greens be consistent. One thing you can do while you prepare the course is test different types of grasses in the conditions that Kansas experiences. Also, you exclaimed that draining is a problem with the grasses, however, you can make a drainage system underneath the greens or also you could design it so that any excess water drains off the greens into the stream. Take a look at these links below.
https://www.outsidepride.com/resources/states/kansas.html
http://www.putting-greens.com/noflash.htm

1 Like

Also, I think the cups should be regular size. This can give you the flexibility to change them. Also, they are better practice if you were to get real zoysia greens where you can put on them.

Thanks man… you’ve got me down a rabbit hole on types of Zoysia haha. Awesome links and really helpful. Going to be talking with our super for sure.

1 Like

I just received this in the mail!

The other side of the poker chip has the Text logo. This is super cool. The letter is even on card stock

16 Likes

Let’s go! Glad you got it. Excited to see others when they get em.

1 Like

Dear @sundaybag

Could I please make enquiries about a society day at Brough Creek National? Some of the members of the society are also members at BCN and have said good things about the course and hospitality so we would be delighted to allow the wider group to sample its pleasures.

We are a very respectful bunch, though admittedly dishonorable. We are usually prepared to pay through the nose for exceptional tracks as we are all course history and architecture buffs, and in this instance can make a commitment to bring a great many cases of beer instead. Some of which will be imported.

Can I also take the opportunity to ask how wide your course is, and what kind of angles do you provide for approach shots?

Yours sincerely

The Founder, RACDG

2 Likes

Some days are better than others.

7 Likes

Just got through this thread and I’m sold. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

2 Likes

Thought it was only fitting to have these two on the same level. Can’t wait to use the marker and make my way out for the R&ACDG inaugural event!

7 Likes

All dishonorable golfers are allowed at BCN any time any day. However, since it is an international bunch, a special event shall be planned and executed.

BCN plays wide with short grass side to side. All holes are modeled after some of the best short holes in the world - two of which are in the backyard of the UK&I chapter. Road Hole and Postage Stamp are spoke and accounted for at BCN. You will also see modern versions of timeless classics - the Biarritz Punch Bowl and Redan hole inspired after Gold Bell @ ANGC - if that doesn’t tickle the fancy of architecture nuts, I’m not sure what will. We do supply a heavy dose of “hipster” golf, so I hope that is an OK vibe for the group.

40 days and 40 nights after the first of May year 2019 shall mark the target for the inaugural meeting and grand opening of BCN.*dates may change due to turf conditions.

6 Likes

Stickers are in…this is on my iPad as I am too cheap to have a Macbook. I will be working with @sundaybag on distribution. There are nine (9) left and you know a couple of them will be for our amazing founders. VERY limited supply at the moment.

6 Likes

Sick.

1 Like

10 Likes

@scuff @sundaybag and other BCN Members,

I’ve admittedly been a lurker of this thread since @sundaybag was earnestly seeking architectural advice of Some Guy’s Backyard® and just haven’t found what felt like was the right time to enter the conversation.

I feel like now would be a reasonable time.

I am an Operations Director for a manufacturing facility that produces high durability decals popular with heavy industrial and agricultural machinery manufacturers. We have an internal art department and I’m able to create custom decals pretty easily. I’ve recently done a project for a certain club that a few folks may recognize…

While I would have loved to be involved with the project, I am understanding that some free product doesn’t really equate to the magnitude of charity that was being requested. As a man of limited means it was difficult to make happen and I genuinely hope that the the people involved in that project achieve what they’ve set out to build.

HOWEVER, Kinda hoping that slinging some free merch gets me into THIS highly exclusive club! Also, want to let everyone know that the type of product that everyone would be receiving is best to be applied on a clean flat surface. I tried applying a circular one to a curved beverage container and the edges of the decal “ripple” a bit. Nonetheless they’re nice.

tl;dr I can make custom decals with whatever you want on them. As big or as small as you want and at the right price.

I can get the established logo going pretty quickly. If there’s anything else that any of the creative types here would like to see let me know!

7 Likes

Right into the DM’s

5 Likes

Thank you all for the support, help and advice. @sundaybag bag has been killing it and it’s unbelievable how much all of your input has transformed this project. Can’t wait for the first official tourney day. 20+ handicap here tho so for sure goin with the bigger cups lol

7 Likes

Aww how sweet. Seriously though - we had no clue anyone would actually think that this is cool. Your response has honestly lit a fire under our ass. There will be some cool stuff coming out about our plans and what we will be working towards moving forward. A few things will always stay the same, however.

• We are always going to be focused on what’s best for our niche golf community.
  • We want the BCN community to have a say in what we do and dictate our direction.
  • We want to be totally transparent.
  • We want BCN to be community built.
  • We want the community to actually come out and play BCN, for free.

If anyone wants a BCN membership, shoot me a DM with your address and I will send out the member gift and new member letter.

10 Likes

Don’t know what your plan for the website is, but speaking from experience if you are thinking about doing the godaddy builder, think possibly about squarespace instead, much easier to get a finished product up and going in a short amount of time if you do not have any web development experience, in my opinion. If you have any questions just give me a shout, i’d be more than happy to help you lay something out.

1 Like

Wix is pretty good. It’s all drag and drop stuff