Armchair Architect Needed: Help design backyard wedge range

Also, did you ever think of having synthetic greens and tees so you can putt as well and no mowing or anything to worry about. If you want to take this road, you can order turf in bulk as well if you want to save some money.

We have thought about it. There is something spiritual about mowing real grass.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch for the info and your work looks awesome. Seems like a lot of refugees know how to design a solid yardage book. @anon81973724 is currently in the lab designing a yardage book now. We will keep you updated on that.

@Clarkebar awesome to have you hop in. Really enjoy your thoughts on other threads and excited to have it here.

@anon81973724 way down with changing the name of the thread. I do want it to be a title that is inviting for newcomers to click on. Somehow @Clarkebar had missed it yet obviously smells what we are stepping in.

@wesgolf trying to answer your question on the artificial turf.
After thinking about why people follow and think this is cool, I’ve collected some thoughts.

The whole thing started by just wanting to have a place to hit golf shots that didn’t cost me anything. An interest in golf holes, finding the idea of “fun golf”, and realizing it is more about the people then being good at golf, the whole point of BCN was illuminated.

We are building a golf course in some guy’s backyard. The thought of puttable green surfaces and 18 holes of playable golf is so outlandish when you think about it. In the end, it is still my buddies backyard.

It may be ridiculous to compare and think this deep, but with all the Scotland/UK content I’ve consumed and other golf experiences I’ve had the last two years, the biggest take away I’ve had is that fun golf can take so many forms. BCN is it’s own form that is built on some of the elements that started golf in Scotland.

We have:

• No more maintenance required outside of normal open space management.
  • It doesn’t cost much more than time.
  • Built and maintained by the community.
  • No regulations or rules. Only rule is to have fun and not take anything too seriously.
  • Unbelievably approachable for everyone.
  • Easy and fun to play for first timers and challenging enough shots for good players.
  • Making the best out of the land presented to us.
  • An enjoyable place to spend time outside.
  • A meeting place for friends.

Over the next few years, we will continue to work opening up the property and create the best turf conditions possible. Ideally, we will be able to play from everywhere and have turf conditions similar to first cut. We will make green areas defined and add interesting features and slopes - imagine putting on the fairway. We can get 4" cups (not the massive ones, just a bit bigger than regulation) and play the ball all the way into the hole. If we can do that, it would be a massive accomplishment.

Long winded and theoretical on why we aren’t doing artificial turf. We think what we have/will have is plenty. More importantly, it could be replicated elsewhere and bring the game to others.

6 Likes

@anon81973724 and I could also work together on this project, and bounce ideas off of each other. I would just really want to help your dream possible.

1 Like

Got out to BCN twice this weekend. Did some additional scoping of the land and got eyes on what it’ll take to open up a few more holes. Also played on it for a few hours which was sick.

Burned a few piles of sticks and got this shot hitting to the Road Hole.

Really excited about a few of the holes we have planned that aren’t opened up yet. After getting some boots on the ground and seeing what needs to be done now that the leaves have fallen, holes 3, 4, and 5 should easily be opened by next spring.

For those that are just getting involved, here is the routing:
RenderedImage

Hole 6 green is open and ready to go, but the approach is heavily guarded by trees. May have to wait another season to open that up. Solid 15 full grown trees in the way from making that a reality.

Here is the tee for hole #3 - Biarritz Punch Bowl. The green site is perfect for a natural punch bowl as you can see the natural slope curling around in the photo.

Pleasantly surprised by how few large trees are in the way for 4 green and 5 tee. This may take some visualization (sorry not a pro photographer), but the goal for 5 green is to have a severe uphill shot where you can just see the top of the flag. Think #11 at Shinnecock hills. Pic for reference:

The two dudes are where the green will be for #5. This is taken from roughly where the green site for #4 will be.

This is from #5 green looking down the steep slope (don’t miss short, stairs will need to be installed). #5 tee and #4 green will be in the low spot on the top side of the picture.

We just got this weed whacker device that has a circular blade attached to it. Basically it destroys any tree under 4 inches in diameter. Should save us a lot of time clearing all the under brush around these new holes.

13 Likes

Already picturing an NLU event here, simply awesome all around.

1 Like

Have to tip my cap to the architect’s imagination. Even with you spelling it out for me, I can barely see the design and golf hole within those shots. Definitely a skill to see it and execute on it. Very sick.

1 Like

I suck at taking pictures and it’s a hell of a lot easier to create holes when you envision all of the trees being taken down. Not to mention that I can draw the property to near scale off the top of my head. The Refugees have helped quite a bit as well. Once you come out for an NLU event at BCN, you will see I am not genius and the land just so happens to be good for golf.

2 Likes

Might be the most fucking #woke architect quote of all-time.

21 Likes

Not gunna lie - felt like Gil Hanse when I was typing that out.

6 Likes

This thread is the highlight of my afternoon reading. What a gem, can’t wait to see what else comes out of this. T-Shirt with “The land just so happens to be good for golf.” would be dope.

1 Like

Glad you found us. Keep bringing the merch ideas!

4 Likes

Shit. That is sick!

does Imperial Hats do small custom orders or am I correct when it says a min of 75? I doubt there are 75 of us

So here is the thing. @BCNSuper mother has a professional embroidery machine. As you would expect, a few guys in their late 20’s have no idea how to work it, but when we do figure it out, I think we will buy a bunch of blanks from imperial and put the patches on ourselves. Cheaper, more options, customizable, and no need to buy 75 at a time. We do need to find a bang up patch vendor, however.

4 Likes

Fuck, this has now shot to the top of my Xmas list

2 Likes

Live look of @sundaybag and his friends with the embroidery machine.

17 Likes

Did you ever think of using real bentgrass for the tees and the greens?

Here is an example:
http://puttinggreens.proboards.com/thread/2219/new-short-game-practice-facility
And you can also look at fried eggs golf on youtube at their green.