Alamo Duel - Charitable Update (Post #3544)

Correct… I’m not in that photo.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who didn’t know these two duelers both play from the wrong side of the ball?!

3 Likes

Everyone in The Nest has been aware of that for weeks.

1 Like

win some lose some. Sry to whomever that is.

That kind of makes you our own personal Jesus. (Shoutout Depeche Mode)

You are from North Dakota, God’s country, so it fits.

4 Likes

Who’s the nutter that was the only one in shorts for night golf?!

My #TeamBaxter teammate and personal Sherpa/mental coach for the last 4 holes of my match @RCJ

2 Likes

Guys, this event had made me realize how far down the rabbit hole I’ve gone.

22 Likes

Go on…

1 Like

That’s Roger.

2 Likes

It was a nice cool evening. I would say some were over dressed lol.

4 Likes

I mean, I had scripting for each event

2 Likes

When we concluded play at the par 3, everyone just sat around at the range watching @Snellspace, @TexasWedge, @leric90, @anon26814599 @JoshBres and @austin hit Miura blades and persimmons. It was…the moment I knew I should probably break away from the Refuge altogether. Embarrassed to be a part of that scene, personally. As I sit here and reflect, I must say the discussion around “feel” and “I can’t generate enough speed” and “watch this stinger” was reprehensible.

If you never hear from me again on the message board, that’s why.

37 Likes

I hit the 1-iron. It was dumb.

12 Likes

My people. I was the only one at the range in Atlanta in short sleeves and shorts yesterday. Keep up the good work.

4 Likes

First off, I want to say that @BaxterMSP is my guy. Not only did he keep me fired up about this weekend for the past few months as we shared stories of the sorry states of our respective games over DMs, but he put in a lot of time behind the scenes making sure this event would live up to the extremely high standards that have been set by the folks in Cincy and Atlanta. I knew we were going to get along great, and was not let down when he and I, along with a little help from co-chairgui @Snellspace and Mr. Ace @TexasWedge put down nearly a full bottle of Blanton’s on Thursday night at our C-suite casita. Things escalated quickly for him on Saturday toward the end of the back nine, but I look forward to a few cash rematches soon with his zombie corpse in the Great White North.

As always, the chairguis deserve mad love from the Refuge. Snellspace and @jbrooks made sure the herding of 40+ Refuge cats over multiple golf courses in a massive city went off without a hitch, was supplied with delicious merch, and raised thousands of dollars for a worthy and underfunded charity in the process.

Cgroom and @anon24718094 the yardage books were SICK. That’s going to be a high bar to clear for future events. Special shoutout to everyone else who #gotinvolved and pitched in some way, from bullseye’s typically incredible logo, To Geaugolf for the incredible head covers, and @imsocrabby for pizza and golf balls.

As for my rank-and-file Refugees, you all once again showed why this place has swiftly become the very best golf community in existence. I had an alltime weekend, eating, drinking, and golfing with so many of you, whom I universally found to be gracious, hilarious, and supportive. Special shoutout to my playing partners over three and a half rounds. Two and half of those were alongside TexasWedge, Summit Champ, and now member of the hole-in-one club, which was also the first I’ve had the pleasure of witnessing. And it couldn’t have gone to a nicer guy. Both of the Snell boys are a credit to their parents and the Great State of Texas. I can’t wait to tee it up with them some more in Scotland. @jbpayne32 and I did some work together shooting a net -2 in Scotch foursomes to bring home the lion’s share of cash on Friday in a round where we still left a bunch of shots on the course. I was especially excited to meet i’msocrabby and @Sarah, and be part of the first Refuge event in which women participated. We were all much the better for it. I played with Sarah and @VelvetSteve (McSchvantz may need to be removed from office), and Sarah has a very solid game, and is as cool and friendly as she has come off here for so many months. I’m also looking forward to more rounds with her in April. And I msocrabby. I only had the pleasure of playing one hole with the crabby one, as she joined Baxter, Halamalarkey, Texaswedge and my group for the last hole of her match, but the woman has ice water in her veins, draining a 15-footer to square the match. But beyond her play, which is obviously legit, she is all kinds of fun; seriously, not-crabby-at-all was nonstop no-bullshit, high energy goodness.

Finally, this event just never happens without @Lazstradamus. We all know he is the glue that holds this incredible place together. Without destroying judicial privilege, it was Justice Laz who first suggested a duel to settle the litigation initiated against Baxter, and when it was decided it what happened, he made those all-important first calls, threw down the credit card, and stirred interest with the announcement post. And he’s the one probably half the field came out to see
And he delivers. Every. Time. The game, the clothes, the dangling cigarette, the swagger. Rain or shine, the man brings it. Seriously, I’ve met many celebrities that don’t have half the charisma of this guy. He’s a star, and he does it all for this place, and I am grateful he’s here.

Until the next round, Craic on!

57 Likes

I purchased WiFi on the flight back to Denver just to read The Zocco Files.

After playing a wild round on the par 3 with him and watching him drain a bomb on the 9th to earn us 3 skins and a free drink from @bored_6m I need to know the full backstory.

9 Likes

Thanks for a great time. What the pillow fight flight lacked in skill, we more that made up for it in friendliness. Ryan, Roger and Kyle thanks for hanging out with me. My apologies for having to jet back to Houston for work and miss the par 3. The fact that I was planing drive 6 hrs roundtrip at 4am from Houston for a round of golf had me reevaluating my life’s priorities…on the way home I was already thinking about the next one.

On a side note I stopped by the grocery store to pick up dinner - everybody was looking at me with an amused expression. it wasn’t until I got in front of the mirror that I realized sunscreen is actually a thing…

Thanks for putting this together I had an amazing time.

The only complaint…Roger does not share my deep sense of charity while standing over six footers… miss one once and a while will ya?

8 Likes

I literally can’t get over how unbelievably cool everyone is. Top dudes all around. Will try to post something more detailed when I have my thoughts together and a 0.00 blood alcohol level. Main takeaway though: I can’t fucking wait for Scotland. Literally counting down the days until all that golf, hang outs, and quoting Hot Rod with @TexasWedge and @Snellspace. Honoured to be a member of the first all women team and first Canadian

32 Likes

@RobertHunter with the classic mock turtleneck at TPC San Antonio

14 Likes