Agronomy staff and Superintendents Unite

I think it’s cool. I love those special touches that can make a place shine. They have a new thing on putting greens using liquid iron to turn the grass really green for logos. We have put liners inside the cups with logos on them.

6 Likes

Brother-in-Law is Assistant Superintendent at Roaring Fork Club in Basalt, CO (Near Aspen). First job out of school. Interested to see where he goes next. Hoping I can get up there before he leaves for a round or two.

He has some good connections, and has worked PGA Events, most recently Riviera.

1 Like

This industry is incredible for connecting with other clubs. I’ve played courses that I never would have had the opportunity to unless I worked in the industry. I try and accommodate anyone that is visiting my area, it’s nice to return the favor. I’ve worked East Lake two years in a row and got to meet a lot of great people, play the course and meet some PGA guys.

5 Likes

A million times no.

I’m a Supt and cannot stand seeing the preachy, cap in hand, thanks-seeking behavior that has permeated the industry in the last few years.

Push rake your footprints until smooth. Exit out the low side of the bunker. That is all.

Don’t we do those things for the members though? Why do you think they buy so many things with logos and such? It’s all about the branding.

Is this a common practice? I feel like I have been around golf for a while, and this is the first I have heard of this. I live in the northeast…is it more of a southern thing? Grass dependent?

1 Like

Had a crew member slip and cut off part of a toe a few years ago. I switched to trimmer line after that incident.
Flymowers and extension chainsaws look fun until you’re on the business end for about 5 minutes.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen it to that extent. I have seen burning the bunker edges instead of trimming them. Fire is very nutritious for the plants so I could see that happening.

3 Likes

In Southern climates, the best weed defense is a thick turf stand. I would be nervous about a weed outbreak on the bunker faces.
Personally, I will spray my dormant grass with a non selective herbicide in the winter to eliminate any winter weed break through. This will actually delay Spring green up, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing for maintenance.
When you’re staring at 8 months of mowing… a few extra weeks to finish up winter projects is worth it’s weight in gold.

3 Likes

Fire is not nutritious.

1 Like

How can you say that? Look at what happens after wild fires and it’s proven that the aftermath of the fire is beneficial for the plants and soil. Technically the fire itself isn’t nutritious.

3 Likes

I’m in Florida, never have Bermuda go truly dormant. Would love to spray glyphosate

1 Like

Its a great tool to have in the box. I don’t know if I would be gutsy enough to spray in Florida either, but I put 24 oz/ac out this season with fairways greening up and they never turned off color. However, I was a bit nervous

1 Like

Nobody truly wants a 12.

1 Like

Ahhh… fly mowing… only the best know

2 Likes

And 95% of golfers that say “those greens were at 12.5” were on greens that were rolling <10’

5 Likes

First day at my current job was a fly-mow in the rain. Only thing anybody said to me all day was “rainy fly-mow first day? don’t cut off your fuckin’ foot.”

5 Likes

Want to start by thanking you guys for what you do. Hat’s off.

I’m curious about poa. All I ever hear about it is how bumpy it is. Why is it so prevalent? It was a huge part of the story at the recent events at Pebble and Riv. I’m on the opposite coast (south NJ near Philly) and the poa has pretty much taken over the greens at my home course. Is it just so hard/expensive to eradicate that I just need to learn to live with it?

1 Like

I defer to my northern and west coast brethren. I’ve heard that poa can be the best surface to putt on if maintained properly. I’ve only worked on Bermuda.

You guys haven’t lived until you’ve been on a Cushman Truckster, only it wasn’t called a Truckster 20 years ago. :sob:

2 Likes