Agronomy staff and Superintendents Unite

So who wants to talk about flymowing and why it suuuucks

6 Likes

Is it because of gravity?

1 Like

Yeah, haha. It is not fun to balance on a bank and try to move that thing along. Good workout though!

2 Likes

I want to know how many know what fly mowing is…

4 Likes

I do. It’s the agronomic equivalent to the religious practice of self flagellation.

1 Like

between that and string trimming around a tree or anywhere with mud, you definitely can have that feeling covered haha

1 Like

This reminds me of the time we were driving in CO as kids and we saw people learning to fly fish (on grass) and my sister thought they were trying to catch flies…

2 Likes

All of my course maintenance jobs were when I was in high school or college - so I was flymo guy all the time, it’s pretty rough. When you lose your balance going down a mound and scalp the side of it it’s fun. Bunker rake guy is probably worse. No wait cart cleaning guy is the worst.

3 Likes

Can you please confirm if you actually place pins in tougher positions after a night of not getting any nookie or not?

8 Likes

Hahaha that’s one of my favorites.

Any other quotes golfers say about supers?

When laying sod - “green side up!”

Irrigation repair - “Digging for gold?”

3 Likes

Worked at two different courses for a total of four years on a grounds crew and this is the kind of content I’m here for! Still the best job I’ve had but I would love to learn more!! :golf:

1 Like

Yes. To me.

2 Likes

Take it to the Silk Road!

2 Likes

I will say the atv thingy that rakes bunkers is a blast to do

It is hard to mow straight lines on greens when hungover sometimes - especially when you start at 5:15am. That’s the only reason to double cut them.

My speciality was getting the carts stuck in the grass clipping dump place, I got really good at that

1 Like

I treat the SandPro like it was a member of my family. I love that thing.

2 Likes

ATV thingy is the sandpro and that’s even more fun on a baseball or softball field.

As long as my crew shows up, I’m ok with bananas on the green

2 Likes

Thoughts on underground rake systems? The only time I came across them was on a very special occasion to play Rich Harvest Farms, but I heard recently that they may have gotten rid of the system. Unfortunately, I’ve not had the opportunity to go back to investigate if this was true or not. I thought it was so cool and solved a lot of problems with rakes getting placed all in the same spot or put in odd locations.

Great idea but not practical. So much extra work and effort for not enough payoff. Personally I prefer rakes in the bunker.

1 Like

Yep I can see that. I’m good with in the bunker as well. One issue with the underground system obviously is you could land one close and then get a cartpath-like bounce somewhere far from the green.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on things like punching in a logo in a sand trap?

EDIT: how about instructions to please rake?

1 Like