Agronomy staff and Superintendents Unite

Seeing how many other golf course maintenance crew members or superintendents are here. I’m an assistant superintendent and can’t get enough on the course.

I would also love to help educate anyone willing to learn about the why and how we do the things we do to the course. The more golfers we have that understand what we’re trying to do, the better. Get on your greens committee and support your super!

14 Likes

Not either but would definitely be interested in learning about these topics

3 Likes

Seriously - thank you for your service. Lots of work goes unnoticed, and golfers love to complain about conditions - mostly because it’s the only thing they can blame besides themself for sucking.

5 Likes

@DavidElliottHHCC get in here boah

1 Like

I’m on a greens crew. Going into year 3. Looking forward to it!

4 Likes

What are the things that we (as players) can do to make your lives easier? I’m sure the obvious ones like replace or fill divots and fix ballmarks, but what else?

4 Likes

Hey! I have a degree in Agronomy from UCONN and worked for 2 different private country clubs in the northeast and spent 6 years working in the sports turf industry in Georgia. I have gotten out of the turf industry a few years back but still serve as a consultant.

1 Like
  1. Pick up your feet when walking on greens…or just don’t drag your feet
  2. Learn to properly rake bunkers
  3. Never drive in wet areas…too many stupid people out in the world

And you are right…replacing divots and ball marks should be obvious but its not.

5 Likes

Subscribed to this thread.

How come I still suck terribly at repairing ball marks after having studied the videos and articles about it? What is the best tool to repair ball marks?

5 Likes

Do tell!

1 Like

I used to be a meance as a kid, with the leverage move and just ripping roots. Now I am all about the push inward with a little twist…don’t know if it is the preferred way though, so would love to hear the professionals take as well

2 Likes

Parking all 4 tires on a cart path is impossible for most golfers it seems. No need to move half and half into the grass.

Tire traffic is definitely the worst culprit so walk when you can.

Divots on tees are sooo important and will save the crew time to focus on other things.

Ball mark repair is vital.

6 Likes

Any repairing is better than no attempt. Proven that the grass will heal itself in days instead of weeks when repaired properly.

1 Like

This is the best repair tool. (I’m not an expert - so feel free to refute this greenskeepers, the actual tools seem to damage things further)

3 Likes

You want a smooth surface… push the rake, don’t pull. And rake other footprints and such if it’s near yours. Look out for the group behind you.

3 Likes

That’s all I carry in my pocket. Anything with a narrow point will work.

2 Likes

Great way to learn the greens and strategy for the course.

I had the opposite track… out of the industry, sports fields and now golf.

1 Like

In my experience, the stroke you want to use the most is one pushing away from you. Raking towards you can make the rake dig more than you want. Otherwise just try to leave a smooth surface and use the TC Way. Ah, I see @Greenthumb has beaten me to this but I’m hitting publish anyways!

3 Likes

Indeed, and it’s also fun to be outside and establish incredible farmer’s tans

1 Like