A thread for the Texas folks

If you’ll spearhead the fact finding I can help with organizing the actual day.

2 Likes

Anyone in the DFW area played Hawks Creek, also I’m tired of paying $65 for golf on the weekend.

1 Like

Hawks Creek is one of my favorite courses to play on the west side of the 'plex. Always in good shape. Fun course with good mix of easy and challenging holes. Not a very long course.

1 Like

Has anyone ever played Grand Oaks in Grand Prairie? Supposed to play for the first time on Saturday

I sure have.

I like it. It’s a calm little track with some sneaky creeks that come into play. Other than that it feels very old school open country club. Haven’t played it in a couple of months so I can’t attest to the conditions now, but it was in pretty good shape when I played in Feb.

There is a dog that likes to hang out and watch on 11, I like him.

2 Likes

Still a newbie to Austin and the ATX golf scene maybe this will break me out of my shell… Having seen the efforts to organize NLU troops in the refuge, set zoom calls, score the matches, etc. I’d be happy to co-chair an NLU-Austin meet up. Lions Municipal seems like a good fit for venue.

4 Likes

How strange is it now being “Austin from Austin”?

2 Likes

Did anybody in here qualify for the DAC this weekend? Shot 78 in the only qualifier that it didn’t make the cut in. Should’ve just played in the refuge meet up for my tournament of the month.

1 Like

Damn. That sucks. My round was rough. Do yeah I’d have rather played in the meet up and ate good BBQ

Anyone familiar with courses near Wimberly? We got a little house in Wimberly for my bachelor party in October and want to play 1 round of golf. The issue is that there’s 8 of us and a few people have never actually played a round before. They may hit balls every once in a while at TopGolf but don’t own their own clubs. We’re hoping we can find a cheap course to play where there may not be as many people and we won’t be holding people up.

I would be down for an Austin event.

1 Like

I played with a dude who went on and on about how good Quicksand Golf Course was, but he was also kind of a douche, so caveat emptor. It’s not too expensive, and I don’t imagine it would be too busy on a weekday. I’ve been thinking about going and checking it out, it’s not too far for me.

I’d say your best bet is to play a scramble, 4 vs 4, and put your 2 best players on different teams. Then check the scores at the end. Nobody gets left out, but even 4 shitty players will score no worse than a double bogey and not slow things down too bad.

1 Like

The office staff sure gets a kick out of it. However, the true irony is that I was born into a very thick maroon-blooded family. Why they decided to name me Austin is still a mystery.

1 Like

Quicksands is probably best bet. Plum creek is decent track just east.

Out of left field suggestion is Roy Kizer in south Austin. Further out of left is Kizer/Clay has a 4 hole par 3 course (greens not great) where it costs $5/person and you could loop it as many times as you want.

That would be less intimidating for your non-golfers in your group.

1 Like

Go to Butler Pitch and Putt. You’ll have a blast.

5 Likes

Y’all are right, I didn’t even think about looking for a Pitch and Putt course. That seems like it’d be the most fun. Now if I could figure out how to make those PVC pipe mini-bags to carry around it’d be even better.

New to the refuge here, any of yall in the north Dallas (the colony, carrollton, coppell etc) area? Would love to get some fellow NLUers together for a weekly game or a few rounds!

2 Likes

I’m not in that area (Arlington, just south of DFW int’l), but I’m not opposed to driving a little bit for golf especially for a fellow refugee.

1 Like

Put me down for a meetup in Austin

2 Likes

Also mega down for an Austin meetup

3 Likes