A thread for the Texas folks

The course sits just off the west fork of the Trinity River and it’s large flood plain. Also, Love Field had just under 5 inches of rain Friday night/Saturday morning so that is almost certainly why they closed. You would think they would notify players though.

Going to be down in The Woodlands this weekend for a wedding. Anyone in the area looking to get out Saturday morning to play with a Dallasite? Or have any recommendations on a good place to play? Looking back through the thread it looks like Cypress Golf Club might be a good option, but would love any suggestions!

Cypresswood Tradition course is a pretty good choice up there. Not too far from the woodlands

3 Likes

Woodforest Golf Club is amazing. Cypresswood Tradition hasnt really recovered after floodings.

2 Likes

The Golf Courses are fine, they just have had a temporary clubhouse. So if you are looking to hangout and drink some beers inside, you cant do that at Cypresswood. But with covid its not really recommended to do that anyways.

3 Likes

Ya that is more of what I meant but both are great choices. If wanting something closer to Woodlands there is The Oaks and Panther Trails at Woodlands Resort

1 Like

Update on the Dallas meetup, hopefully for July 18. Cedar Crest should open up after the Dallas Am qualifying rounds on July 18 around 2 pm and we should be able to get first dibs on the afternoon tee times. We’re still trying to lock down Golf Club of Dallas for the morning. Once we do, we’ll post an actual sign up sheet for the Golden Age Classic. Anyone with tech skills that wants to craft a logo using an old school Golden Tee Classic arcade console, we could make this thing pop.

12 Likes

Thanks for putting in some leg work for us!

Anyone going to play in the DAC?

the net division looks like it may be right up my alley…

https://www.iamagolfer.com/register-dallas-amateur-championship

I havent played Cedar Crest in a long time…this might be a nice way to get out and do it.

2 Likes

I wanted to do the net division last year. but couldn’t make any of the dates work My game is in such bad shape right now after taking 3 months off, I don’t know that playing under that kind of stress would be good for me right now. You should definitely do it, I can give you some course tips if you’d like.

1 Like

I’m considering playing so any course tips would be greatly appreciated. I’ve practiced at cedar crest but haven’t played there yet.

1 Like

I am playing on the 18th. Couldn’t talk my wife into two days but she was good with the DAC

Played out at Irving this afternoon for my first time. Shot a personal best 84 after my first 3 rounds back post-COVID have been well above 100.

Course took a decent amount of water from the recent storms so a few low areas in the fairways were properly staked off, but otherwise the course is in really good shape and it’s a great value. It’s not very long from the one-ups and it’s fairly wide off the tee, but you still want to have certain angles into greens, and centerline fairway bunkers all provide some strategy off the tee. Greens were not running fast from all the rain but they were in really good shape for a muni with the weather we’ve had the last week, they rolled really true. It was a fun round, obviously more fun because I was firing on all cylinders (for me).

6 Likes

Meetup Update:

Both Cedar Crest and Golf Club of Dallas want to have us out. We are planning to do Golf Club Dallas in the morning and Cedar Crest in the afternoon.

I’ve updated the sheet to vote your availability of four possible weekend dates so we know when to hold it and how many tee times to block at each course, an open field for what format you’d prefer, and give us your opinion on whether we should ask the NLU boys to make this a local NIT qualifier (may impact format and we can probably provide for opt-in/opt-out like we did in San Antonio)

cc
@Kgilles5
@NobodiesMedic
@Rudy
@the_korn_ferry
@bored_6m
@Haymart
@lonestarguido

7 Likes

cc
@Lilbrit
@McNutty
@McRiddles
@will035
@nvaji12

1 Like

No love for the NIT here. Tuff scene.

4 Likes

No one wants to over exert themselves in late July.

2 Likes

I’m thinking that is coming from a lack of understanding what an NIT qualifier may entail? @DuckDuckHook and I kicked the idea around when we started this process and we decided to first gauge interest in a get together and, if we had enough, then look into the NIT option.

Can you provide us specifics on what an NIT event would require?

You’ve got it pretty much covered. As long as it’s got a charitable aspect, a preponderance of refuge/nest folks, and some way to choose the spot you’ve pretty much got it covered. It doesn’t have to be competitive or anything like that. Could do a closest to pin to determine the spot(s) or a charity raffle, or whatever you want.

Totally get it if it’s not of interest but don’t want the fine denizens of North Texas to be deprived!

2 Likes