A thread for the Texas folks

Pretty good assessment there. So many different types of courses etc throughout the state. From a DFW perspective I think they had a pretty good ultimate ranking out of the top 100.

1. Dallas National
  2. Colonial
  3. Preston Trail
  4. Brook Hollow (Cant wait to see the redo back to the original Tillinghast set up)

the next three might be in reverse order but they are consecutive on the list at 17,18,19 overall

1. Northwood (Im biased…my home turf…and the result of the renovation is maturing nicely…if we didnt lose 250 trees in the storm last summer it would be just that much better…not ranked higher …just better)

2. Shady Oaks

3. Vacquero (worried about what will happen to this place post financial chaos going on there)

4. Maridoe

5. Trinity Forest

6. Royal Oaks

7. Lakewood

8. Stonebridge, Dye (Always gets so much love in these ranking…great bang for the $)

9. TPC Craig Ranch

10. DAC, Blue

11. Old American

12. Dallas Country Club

13. Gentle Creek

14. TPC LC

15. Texas Rangers Golf Club

16. Mira Vista

17. The Lakes at Castle Hills

18. Bent Tree

19. DAC, Gold

20. River Crest (surprised this is so low)

21. The Tribute

22. Texas Star

Dropped Out: Cowboys, Stonebriar

Some observations: Club Corp has really killed some of the reputation and prestige of clubs. Stonebriar, Gleneagles, Las Colinas CC etc. Stonebridge is the only one that gets some love.

DCC and Rivercrest are def ranked lower than they should be

8-11 is a good example of how these rankings are generally dumb to begin with. …you cant really compare the type of course that Maridoe is vs. TF…vs. Royal Oaks/Lakewood

Always fun when these come out. Hard to argue when folks usually say DFW has a bout a dozen really good courses…

2 Likes

I’ve been lucky enough to play 12 of the top 50 including colonial, lakewood, vacquero, and shady oaks. My favorite out of all of them was Miramont. I think it flies under the radar some but the layout is incredible.

1 Like

Headed out to Lake Travis this weekend with a pretty large group of friends. A few of us were going to break free for a bit Saturday morning and play a round at the Hills of Lakeway. Any a suggestions as to which of the four courses we should try to hop on?

Either Hills or Flintrock. Depends what type of Nicklaus you like. Flintrock is a bit hillier and a little tougher. Hills is older and maybe more subtle Nicklaus, but a good course as well.

1 Like

Sturm tweeted that the Hardline is having @Tron on the show Thursday. Sick!

6 Likes

So, so goodstrong.

Sturm’s new love of golf is both great and infuriating…in the next 12 months he is going to morph himself into a golf experts and will drive me NUTS…

his list of “must play” DFW courses when he was on the pod with the @MerchCzar was depressing list of muni’s (would Stevens or Cedar Crest be on the list…yes…but place like Dallas National, Preston Trail, Shady Oaks, etc…those are “must plays”)

I hope they figure out today that Corby is the guy they need to talk golf with and not Bob.

I’m not sure Corby is the guy they really want to talk golf with though. Corby’s knowledge of professional golf and tennis is very surface level and I highly doubt he could give you 3 sentences on a Hungjae, Morikawa or Homa. Given time, I suspect that Bob will continue to immerse himself in the game and provide more interesting commentary.

My memory is a bit hazy on the Trap Draw episode but I believe his “must play” courses was part of a conversation with the Strapped boys about a DFW episode (which was allegedly planned to be filmed around Colonial. If a random person is coming to Dallas that has zero access to reciprocal private clubs, then Stevens, Cedar Crest, Grapevine, Texas Star, TRGC, etc are all good places to know about.

5 Likes

I’ve been a big Sturm fan and I don’t think his love of golf is new. I think he’s just able to talk about it more now that he’s with Corby. Bob is pretty obsessive when it comes to sports so I’m sure he will bring some good stuff.

Yeah but it was “what courses are a must play for us when we are in DFW” …The NLU contingent can get on most anywhere they would want…they can do better than any list Bob comes up with.

Some people are in the Bob’s camp, I just am not one of them. But I can see why people like his analytical/obsessive view on a sport.

For me the only two guys I would want to hear any golf commentary from would be George or Corby. (cue the bragging montage) But both of those guys are good players, played all over, and would much rather grab a beer with either one of them too…

and @mctrees02 he is friends of friends who are members at the same club and man I just only hear how big of golf nut he is and knows and loves golf and tennis big time.

1 Like

Best floodplain course I’ve played

Is there anywhere in this thread that discusses the best stay & play options in the state?

Missed a lot in the thread in the last week, obviously (Sturm drop).

Played Rangers for the first time Monday and the twilight rate is 100% worth it. Hands down my favorite public course in the metroplex and better than 80% of the clubs in the area.

Never realized how fortunate I was to grow up playing junior golf in North Texas. So many good clubs that I’d like a second crack at now that I’ve somehow magically improved since high school on a fraction of the practice.

3 Likes

What financial chaos at Vaquero? Hadn’t heard anything about this.

its fascinating! and sad.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/article240883636.html

@lawless

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s been references to both but two main ones would be Las Lajitas down near Big Bend and Pine Dunes about an hour and a half southeast of Dallas.

1 Like

Definitely down for that. My current life situation with little ones doesn’t allow me to pick up and fly across the country for a weekend with refugees. Hell, I couldn’t even make the event in San Antonio. My only feasible shot at a refuge event is here in DFW.

1 Like

yeah I would be down as well. Starting off with Cedar Crest would be fun then we could strive to hit up all 3 DFW major venues…?

5 Likes

Tron about to be on the Hardline with Corby and Sturm.

1 Like

The worlds collide again. Pretty cool. Radio is so much more awkward.

3 Likes