A thread for the Texas folks

I’m going out to Pine Dunes with a buddy on 2/8. I’ll ask around about our options and report back on course condition. I heard it got a little rough out this earlier this winter.

2 Likes

I’d drive up from San Antonio to play Pine Dunes for a meetup. The course is the only reason that I go visit family that live in that part of the state more than they come see me.

That’s on my list for this year to play. I could probably drag a few buddies up too.

I played on Black Friday and it seemed fine. The broad-leaf trees had covered the rough in foliage but that’s just how that goes.

They have cabins over there that we can rent and probably make a thing of it. Could be a good thing to do before NIT pre-qualifying week of colonial as well if we have a bunch of people in town for that.

1 Like

It’s confirmed at Colonial? I’ll admit I’m not in the best currently. Assuming that’s where you learned the location?

Sorry to get everyone excited, I simply meant the week of colonial which it is if I remember the dates correctly. (Edited my previous response for clarity)

Damn haha. Will be interesting to see what course they choose.

Would be in for a Pine Dunes trip as well!

Guis…

Howdy (or whatever you cowboy steer loving folk say).

I’m just doing some housework on the RACDG and the Texas branch hasn’t really come to fruition yet. It’s actually the only one that’s stalled and we can’t have that. I think a big part of this is because Clay, who graciously took up the reigns to be first captain, no longer lives in Texas!

So I wanted to jump in here and see if anyone who is proactive wants to run with this group and get everyone interacting and playing.

So far each of the chapters has a WhatsApp group everyone joins and from that sometimes sub groups. In the GB&I one we have our main chat and then subgroups for Scotland, the South East, the North of England etc. The sub groups are mainly for arranging more local matches for fun. We then arrange two get togethers a year, minimum. Our next one is in St Andrews the same week as the NLU trip and we have 40 people going to that. In total we have about 60 people in the UK one and the North East and Mid West chapters are similar. So we’re playing a lot of golf.

Anyone interested?

And if anyone is wondering what the hell I’m on about, read this:

The Royal & Ancient Company of Dishonourable Golfers - Golf Society

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind throwing my hat in the ring if I wasn’t just slammed between work and a wedding right now. Maybe we could do some kind of timeshare when it comes to running it. Like someone kind of takes the lead on an event and then once its over, the hat is passed to someone else for the next event? Like I said, after May I wouldn’t mind it but until then, I just don’t see myself being able to do a ton of planning and stuff

Not a bad idea. @The_Cad_Says is there any other chapters that split leadership duties?

And just because I don’t want to be full on leader, doesn’t mean I won’t try and help out in some capacity

Not yet but there is no reason why not. :slight_smile:

i was thinking more co-manager and co-manager

1 Like

I don’t hate it. You’re in Dallas right?

There are some technical things the captain needs to do, such as engaging in a WhatsApp group for all the Chapter Captains, so we all know whats going on. We call this the Captains Round Table as we collectively run the whole society. But there is no reason why two of you cant be added to that.

The idea behind the captaincy is that you undertake to organise a couple of events a year and you also take $20 a year per member in dues. This money pays for the captains golf at those events for that year. So, its a pain in the ass, but you get free golf. Thats the deal. It gets a bit trickier if there are two of you as there may not be enough in the pot to pay for two people, but as long as you’re happy between you to sort that out in some way, then go for it.

Also, for the most part, we haven’t been collecting any dues from anyone yet. It’s best to do a couple of events first so that people know there is something tangible in the membership fee. So it may be a moot point for you guys at the minute.

I could easily get to PD, never played it but I have heard some good things.

most importantly…does the captain get some sort of stuffy blazer with a old school crest on it?

1 Like

Might have to call off the wedding if so

1 Like