A thread for the Texas folks

Its decent. Its Club Corp…so you get the benefit of the ability to play other club corp courses in the area.

I was a member at Las Colinas CC for year before moving over to Northwood and LCCC is a great track, good dudes over there and they just re did the course. I would really take a look at that vs. Hackberry.

Been meaning to listen to your poddy. Just sub’d and looking forward to your Johnny Tsunami breakdown with Will!

1 Like

I was a public guy the whole time I was living in Austin. When I moved here a few months back, I found Hackberry. The initiation fee and monthly dues are pretty low and the course is in great condition at all times (greens rolling around 11-12 in the summer). There are a couple of quirky holes, but it’s a lot of fun and the people I’ve met out there are honestly the best. I played a 9 hole round when I was deciding whether or not to join, and that was enough for me to be sold on the place.

I can’t speak to LCCC, but I do know that it is a more expensive option. Hackberry has a deal going on right now with reduced January/February dues and a minimal initiation fee. If you’re looking to join, let me know and I’d be happy to refer you.

Appreciate that! Holler if you’re ever in the Hill Country and we will swing the sticks. Just Backers linking with Backers.

2 Likes

Appreciate it. I’m in that stage post first born (4 months old) just started daycare Monday, wife went back to work, so I have got to set the precedent that I play golf on the weekends again. Unfortunately it’s like pulling teeth to get my buddies back out there. The itch is real.

If you are going to be living and working around the Anna area, Hurricane creek would be a good choice. It was once a rural CC, but urban sprawl is about to take it over. Native push up bentgrass greens and a few quirky holes, but I always enjoy playing there.
From a course standpoint and clubhouse amenities , it doesn’t compete with Craig Ranch, Stonebriar, or Stonebridge. It’s also not on the same level of initiation and dues.

What’re your thoughts on HCCC? From what I can see from their video and the aerial there definitely look like a few junker holes, but the value seems outstanding.

I’ll be working with Sherman as my home base and traveling all over that part of the state, so anna seemed like a good in between from house price value and golf course value.

NOBODY is linking and building on hyper-niche golf message boards

2 Likes

re: craig ranch

from what i understand its still in some kind of crazy no mans land with Club Corp. Members from other top Club Corp clubs cant get reciprocals as best I have heard, but I am sure that we have some actual Club Corp members here who can correct me.

i’m not quite sure what is going on over there, I have heard that members have been bailing from those courses like crazy over the last couple of months, i have played with a couple of guys at publics that claimed it as their home course and alluded to some kind of debacle with the management and membership over there.

This is one that I would skip, I have played probably 12 - 15 rounds out there the last 4 years and it plays really slow. The courses are always in good shape, but you also battle their relationship with the conference center and the course is regularly taken over for events.

On a public note, Heritage Ranch is not a bad track up that way, always in good shape and their starter is a pretty funny guy who gives quite the color commentary on those who teed off before you.

Westridge has a great range and some good holes as well.

There is a ton of golf in N. Dallas so you have plenty of options.

1 Like

Funny story about Craig Ranch. I played in a Frisco Chamber of Commerce scramble there a couple years ago. Every hole they had a “drop your name in the bucket, for a free beer”. Naturally I did. I get an email the next week saying I won VIP tickets to the Frisco bowl (who knows what that entails) and someone would contact me with further information. Fast forward, the bowl comes & goes and no word. I forget all about it, and 4 months later I get a phone and some nice lady says “Sir we have your Yeti cooler here you won in the drawing”. She brought it to my work same day and dropped it off. $350 Yeti cooler. I think I got the better end of the deal than VIP tickets to watch MAC v. A-10 or whatever it was.

1 Like

Next time someone plays Pecan Hollow (technically Plano, but basically Murphy) PLEASE post some pics

Anyone see that EAL was having a meet up in Houston to play Gus Wortham tomorrow. Tickets are $100 to play at 3PM. Seems kinda weird unless the money is going to charity or something. But $100 to play possibly 9 holes for what should cost you $40 seems like a scam.

2 Likes

Best public greens I’ve played in the metroplex.

1 Like

I think it’s cool to see GW get some recognition from him. As for paying $100 to take part in a 1.5hr “50-some”? No thank you.

Hopefully the course is in decent shape for him tomorrow with all this rain coming in though

4 Likes

For sure, I was thinking of heading down there for it but not after that. I doubt it’ll go to any charity I think he said its to keep “his videos” going.

It was 1 of the 2 courses (the other is Oak Hollow up in McKinney) that made me fall in love with the game. Spending summer days there and walking 27+ holes with my childhood friend are some of my best golf memories. Wish I could play there more often.

THEY HAVE A SHORT COURSE NOW?!

1 Like

Do you like the new northwood design? I’ve played it a couple times pretty solid.

Ahhh…the old Plano Muni. I played that place a ton growing up and had my Icarito moment on 18 on the last day of tryouts sophomore year. Needed double to make the team and hit 5 balls OB off the tee!!!

Press F to pay respects