A thread for the Texas folks

First time going out for the DAC this year and I was wondering if anybody had insight on a few things.

1. Walking vs cart? Website says they encourage carts but is there generally more people doing one than the other?

2. If walking, do people bring their friends out to caddy just for shits and gigs? I think you have to have one at Trinity Forest, yeah?

3. If your handicap goes up or down between registration and qualifying, how do you update it?

Thanks!

I played in the first one and qualified (senior gross). Most everyone rode carts at Cedar Crest, though there were one or two people that had a friend loop for them.

At TF initially we were supposed to have caddies (provided by TF), but they changed course because the temperatures were 105 or so both days, so we rode in carts. It was a 5 plus hour beat down. I love TF but not so much in July/August.

Not sure how they handle handicaps but I would guess it’s whatever your current index is as of the day the run the scorecards.

2 Likes

I’ve posted in the Golden Age Classic thread and the DFW Match Play thread, but I thought I’d make it official in the Texas thread too. I’m moving to Dallas the first week in July, so feel free to reach out as I’m always down to play (even if it requires a little bit of driving). Looking forward to getting out and meeting y’all as well as playing with some of y’all again.

19 Likes

1 Like

Any one teeing it up Friday at the dallas amateur?
Start hydrating now

In this vein I’m looking for a good public driving range nearish to uptown if people have suggestions

Probably closest you’ll get is Tenison or Cedar Crest. Tenison has mats only (I believe). Cedar Crest is decent.

1 Like

In the afternoons, it is sometimes easier for me to get to Irving Golf Club from Uptown than trying to battle traffic to Tenison or Cedar Crest

Keeton Park has a nice driving range and practice area. When we lived on Lower Greenville that’s where I did a majority of my practicing and playing. You can also walk for dirt cheap and the course is in good condition.

2 Likes

I’ll 2nd the KP recommendation. One of the few grass ranges in town and I just love the overall “vibe” of the place. The staff are very laid back. It’s also a great place to walk an emergency 9 on a week day for only $11. Their General Manager / Head of Instruction (Tony Martinez) is pretty well respected in the instructor community for those looking for a coach.

Yeah KP is awesome. @nvaji12 and I walked it last Sunday morning for sub $25 each. It’s a steal for the condition it’s in. They have a couple greens that still show some wear and tear, but overall it’s a great course and walk for the price.

1 Like

I’ll second this. It was a great walk. Really good condition. Pace of play was pretty solid. I’d probably go here to practice more if I lived on that side of the city. It’s just easier for me to go to other places based on traffic. I’m becoming a much bigger fan of KP every time I go.

1 Like

I really wanted to like the Keeton Park driving range because it is a cool layout and like others mentioned, Tony Martinez is an awesome PGA Coach. But the few times I’ve been, the grass was extremely sandy and for me, difficult to hit my irons from. Some people may not care about that, but if you do, I’d recommend Tenison or Cedar Crest. Irving Golf Club sounds promising. I’ve been wanting to get back out there since it was renovated…anyone played there lately?

Irving is a lot of fun and has become a staple course for some of the matches in the DFW Match Play tournament we have going on. Word on the street is that you don’t want to play @mctrees02 there for any money. Think he’s won 7&6 every time someone has made that mistake.

3 Likes

Irving is great but they unfortunately lost like 60% of the best green on the course after the freeze. Good driving range though they’ve installed mats and it seems like they’re on them much more often than not these days, but that could just be because of the rain. Pretty good short game area and putting green too.

1 Like

Yeah, how is the conditioning ,generally, over on the Dallas side?

I’m in FW and Whitestone has completely lost its greens and Squaw Creek is half underwater. I mean the back nine is about 90% flooded. We’ll see if any of it survives.

I was at Cedar Crest yesterday and while not perfect, it was pretty awesome for a $13 dollar after work 9. It’s been so rock hard the past few times i’ve played there, so I’m sure all the rain has been really good for it.

2 Likes

Most places tend to be okay. Almost everywhere has some burn from the freeze but most are still alright. I did play Sherril Park No 1 today and the greens were pretty bad. Lots of really large areas of just sand and dirt where the grass died. I’ve played Irving, Mesquite, Keeton, Cedar Crest, Duck Creek, Steven’s, and Firewheel Lakes. All of those were much better greens wise than Sherril today.

Edit: I’ve played riverside too. It was in good condition overall and I’d rank conditions over Sherril No 1.

3 Likes

I ended up going out there yesterday and they’re actually replacing that green on Monday, so sounds like it shouldn’t be an issue much longer.

2 Likes

How was the rest of the place? Going out there tomorrow