A thread for the Texas folks

I was out there last night, and had similar thoughts. #4 was a beast, and the whole place was rock hard. I’m actually a big fan when it’s in good shape, but it was rough. $13 to walk after work is such a deal.

That is a really good par 5. Did you cut it over the trees trying to get there in two? You can try and get there, but if you don’t you’re so out of position, possibly under those big old trees. Tastefully laying up to the left and playing a wedge in is the only way I walk out of there with par or better.

1 Like

If I have an angle I always go for it. That green is so small that with my wedge game I need to be up close to even get my third on.

1 Like

I hit my drive down the right side and it funneled down all the way to the left. I had about 185 in and wind was crossing from the right. I decided to choke a hybrid so I could get it up over the tree. It was comically too much club and I was expecting it to be on the road. Luckily it ended up in a good spot and i hit a really good chip to 10 feet, birdie putt rolled 12 feet by and ended up with bogey. I couldn’t talk myself into a layup from that yardage and couldn’t figure out where i would even want to play it in from. I do really like that hole. I don’t think I have ever yelled “stop” at my golf ball so much in one round.

1 Like

Been there, been there. Whole different style of golf

Quick heads up that the 2021 Golden Age Classic thread is up.

1 Like

Cedar Crest is closed for Aerification… with the talk if it being so firm will this soften them up any? I know nothing about greens keeping so thats why I ask

Anyone found someone to help with a ball fitting? In the Dallas area.
Or is it easier to just get a sleeve of a few abs try them on my own

Hello Texans!

We had a few late drops from the R4, April 24th, 2021.
If you’d like to make the drive up to Ardmore, OK and play historic Dornick Hills, the home of Perry Maxwell, sign up! $100 for golf/food/fun is a STEAL.

3 Likes

Gotta check on the work schedule, but very interested!

2 Likes

best place to go hit balls in austin? would like to find a place where I don’t have to hit off matts.

That’s getting harder, as the ranges have been overrun with so much traffic that they can’t grow grass fast enough. Morris Williams, Clay/Kizer and Avery Ranch have all gone to mats for at least part of the week.

You could go to the place I use (Harvey Penick) if you prefer hitting off dirt to mats. Sometimes you get lucky and there is grass.

The best I have found is the one up in Round Rock near the intersection of IH35 and 45. It’s a huge area, so you can almost always find grass. Plus a separate wedge range, a large chipping green and a putting green. What I like is that they have lights, so you can do evening practice in the winter. Getting less important every day, though.

3 Likes

The Driving Range (effective name I guess) in Round Rock off 35 is probably the best in the area. But I agree with @ObscureReference, it’s tough to find real grass to hit off of since COVID hit. You love to see it in general, but makes it hard to practice your wedges.

1 Like

Round Rock is the “best” out there. I do like hanging out at Mo Willy since they redid it, but only on grass for the weekends.

1 Like

The best range area in town is Grey Rock - they completely re-did the range teeing ground and it’s flat and grassy a HUGE, and got new balls (still shitty, but new shitty) about a year ago. That said, they play off mats M-Th, and sometimes Friday. I find their mats to be ok, better than most, but still mats. The practice green is nice, but nothing exceptional.

I was just out at the Grey Rock range a few months ago for the first time in a long time. What happened to the chipping area? Didn’t they have a big chipping green lots of different terrain/grass and a bunker or two?

Once a Chester, always a Chester.

They had one at the end of the range, yeah. They did away with it in favor of more grassed teeing area. They did add a second chipping green by the practice green, and I think the members range (other side) has a bunker to play out of.

Hi @Maz
We have an Austin / San Antonio whatsapp group with about 20 of us. If you’d like to jump in there you can DM me your details. Good place to talk about all things golf and you can typically find a weekend game in there.

1 Like

2 Likes