3BR 4.0 July 20 2024 10 AM - Pete Dye River Course - Blacksburg VA - sign ups open

Having had the privilege of driving many terrible highways, I’d rank it up there with I-4 in central Florida as the worst I’ve had to deal with regularly. I’d probably give I-4 the nod, just because being stuck on I-4 means you are also stuck in Florida, but both are very bad.

2 Likes

29 isnt a bad trip up that way at all, but the pentagon and 66 is the easiest for me for the most part.

29 is the only nice way to travel up to these parts from where you are. I audibly laughed when they put tolls on 66. They should be paying us to take that road lol

Pentagon/66/395 is a cluster during rush hour. Thankfully I don’t have to commute very often anymore, but that’s a grind of an area to drive through at peak times.

1 Like

round trip has take anywhere from 7.5 to 10.5 hours yeah.

Friday afternoon in, and friday night out I should be going the opposite of most of it today at least

1 Like

The drive up 64 to 81 was surprisingly uneventful. Made it to Blacksburg in 5 hrs and only encountered one speed trap (without incident).

2 Likes

@tcjones1985 thanks again for the wonderful hosting at RCC today. What a fantastic place. Playing there every day would make me love golf more than I do now. In a continuation of tradition Dusty holed out on the final hole of the day for birdie from 25 yards long left.

Ps hope you are back to 100% by tomorrow

9 Likes

@country35 Nice job with the outing yesterday. Good day of golf! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The BIG Post:

1. Super thanks to everyone involved and who attended this. We added a dozen more to the event this year, another $500+ donation to challenger league as well. Great group of guys, great day, we’ll run it back again at the River course next year. Tentative with July 22 and keep it the same weekend every year at this point.

2. If you have any pictures (esp the group pic) PLEASE post them up in here. Unfortunately I actually played well for me saturday and was trash at taking pics.

3. On the way home Roger broke down crying with me. This is a course and opportunity he would not have otherwise gotten to play at. He told me he felt like one of the guise saturday, and not at a disabled tourney. I want to thank yall from the bottom of my hear for welcoming him like that. This is event truly is for everyone who loves the game of golf.

4. Congrats to Paul. Win the NIT for the roost or something. I will be looking into the GC situation today for both of you.

5. Off chance any of the closer guise are interested I’m gonna play at Ivy Hill in Forest near Lynchburg this weekend.

6. @tcjones1985 big big thanks for the help on fridays game as always

10 Likes

I had a good time, thanks to those responsible for putting it together. It is funny that I had to drive 4 hours away to finally play a round with two people who live near me, but it was nice to finally tee it up with @cbass and @mtorio. Didn’t play great, but it would’ve been a lot worse without the local knowledge from @Iennis0121. Looking forward to returning the favor in a few weeks.

EDIT: There was a time in my life when driving an hour to play a round of golf seemed ridiculous. On Saturday I spent 8 hours in a car with someone I’d literally never met before (@mmckenney, it turns out, is a delight) to play a round of golf with you sickos. This place is wild, and I love it.

5 Likes

9 Likes

Absolutely love this. Roger is a great guy and I am glad I got to meet him! That makes me happy knowing he felt welcomed and was able to be just one of the dudes. We were both taking in the scenery on some tee boxes as the views are A++ down there.

I haven’t met anybody at any NLU event who has been a jerk or an asshole. It’s been really quite refreshing as golf is littered with those people. I’m someone who hates most people, so meeting all of you folks gives me hope that there are still many good folks out there. You all are the best. :100:

6 Likes

Thanks @country35 for putting this on every year. Definitely one of the highlights of the summer for me and the entire year. Always a great event with great people!

6 Likes

This was a great first NLU event experience. I thoroughly enjoyed the round with Roger, @tramsey07 , and @Zeke ! Cruisy day on a very cool golf course. Already thinking about plans for next summer.

Thank you @country35 and everyone who chipped in making this a superb event!

3 Likes

Was great playing with you too. @tramsey07 was killing his driver. Not sure why he brought anything longer than an 8 iron!

Thanks for a fun event. Next time we will let the staff know to be happy we came. :joy:

1 Like

Quick update everyone, I tested positive for Covid this morning. I am pretty sure I picked it up from one of the 12 Boomer 'necks that crowded onto my elevator in Charlotte on their way to the Doobie Brothers concert, but I wanted to let everyone here know just in case.

Especially @needforspieth, @SammyShaf and @Tommy_TwoPutts who shared an AirBNB with me.

4 Likes

get well soon @smidler I got crushed by Covid last week. Best wishes.

1 Like

Get well soon @Smidler !

1 Like

yeah that sucks, hope this is quick and no symptoms

Damn hope you feel better. guess I will do a home test tonight also just incase.

Just be glad you turned down the ceremonial first tee kiss

3 Likes