Year Of The Players/Players Distance Irons(YOTPI)

Do I love blades? Hell yes I do! Can I hit them consistently? Hell no. Trying to start a new cult of people who know their limitations and need a little help! @David_is_Goliath I know that despite loving blades a fitter has led you to this new realm. Help me start this new group of people who love hitting good iron shots with a little help from modern technology!!!

13 Likes

@ChickPhilA Hell ya! You are the scariest player with the right clubs!!!

1 Like

Are the t200’s players irons? If so, I’m in.

4 Likes

Something tells me my jpx hot metals will not qualify…

1 Like

Got fit into t200’s a couple weeks ago. Choice them for the feel and tight dispersion/forgiveness of them. In a close second was the Wilson Dynapower (super long and decent feel, but mishits went a little too much offline compared to the Titleist, which was the deciding factor. Great club, though), and a close third place was the JPX hotmetal (same thing as the dynapower, but with just a little bit stiffer of a feel)

3 Likes

Was this the forged or the regular? I’ve considered getting a 4 iron if the regular. It’s something stupid like 18* and doing a driving iron build.

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other.

6 Likes

I play the 921 hot metal pros. So maybe I don’t qualify either. But all are welcome in my opinion.

4 Likes

In all seriousness the cobra tours are an unbelievable “players iron” or whatever you want to call them. I demo’d a bunch and pulled the trigger on them. I’ve since gone back to blades but the biggest difference I found in them vs the T series specificity was distance control. They were incredible. Feel was as good or better. Super underrated iron and dumb forgiving. None of the srixons, cavity mizunos etc came close. Hated all of TM’s players foam filled whatever’s.

2 Likes

Playing ZX7s this year instead of my trusty apex’s. Bad player trying to get rid of the low spin nuke that blows up my rounds.

3 Likes

I’ve toying with going with a game improvement iron as a driving iron compared to a typical driving iron. I have a 21° driving iron currently but don’t really like hitting it off turf

1 Like

not sure? I just hit what he put in my hand. I went back and forth for a while, trying to make my mind up

I will say that the new p790’s were straight trash. Tons of distance, but had the feel of a 1950’s blade. Even good strikes had some sting in the hands

1 Like

The forged are a little sleeker all silver look. The regular ones have a big red badge a little thicker.

Agreed on the p790’s. I hated them.

I think they were the forged ones then. Really great clubs

1 Like

I have found my people.

5 Likes

Getting fit for new irons on Saturday. Im thinking I will be ready to enlist in YOTPI but its tbd.

Went into my fitting completely blind to brands. Didn’t want to have a bias. Hit the 921’s much better and more consistently than any others. ZX5’s we’re a close second

1 Like

I did the same thing. The Srixon and Titleist were second but for me the Mizuno produced the best results.

2 Likes

I bought Cobra Amp forged players irons back in 2017 long before I should have. I learned to hit them and held onto them until last year. I was fit into Mizuno 223 with Project X IO 6.0 shafts (4-PW). I’m holding more greens, working the flight of the ball, and just really enjoying my golf.

** I did sneak in a Cobra LTDx 4 iron (very strong loft) that I hit low knucklers with.

1 Like

I dunno if this is a thing with the newer version, but I have a set of 2019 p790s and the fell and sound when you flush one is fantastic. I will say the distance is a bit of a guessing game sometime tho. Had a 165 par 3 yesterday at my club, downwind middle pin. I flushed a 9 iron which is my usual 160-165 club and air mailed the green a good 10 yards. Maybe there was more wind up there than I thought but it seemed like it came off way too hot