Where is the ideal place to live

The correct answer is Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. If you can’t make that work, it’s a you problem.

9 Likes

I have a place in Coeur d’Alene but not made it down to Missoula yet. St Regis about as far as I got on my way to Glacier. Gods country, that part of the world.

2 Likes

if i were moving somewhere, Chattanooga would be strongly on the list. Great golf nearby, fiber internet, lots to do. Big and small bands come there, minor league sports, not far to atlanta, nashville, knoxville.

I live in Greenwood, SC, and it’s pretty interesting as well. LOTS of cheap, good golf, SUPER low cost of living, lots of lakes around. Not much on nightlife but if I worked from home it’d be great.

3 Likes

Awesome, I have spent some time in Coeur d’Alene/Spokane area. Glacier NP is one of the coolest places I have ever been. It’s a beautiful part of the country I just wish the winters weren’t so harsh. If I stay stateside Montana summers and Southern winters would be hard to beat.

Honestly, I can’t stop thinking about the Scotland idea. I’m single and I turn 30 this year so if there was ever a great time to do it now would be the time

5 Likes

My man! I live in ABQ, NM and love it here. The outdoors scene is hard to beat, it’s not as expensive as our neighbors to the north, and we have a diverse laid back culture. The metro is quite sprawling so the “city” can feel as big or small as you want depending on location. It is dry and the heat can wear you down towards the end of summer (but it does cool down at night since we are at altitude), but mountains are easy to access. Winter is the sweet spot because you have world class skiing in Santa Fe and Taos, and golf is essentially year round in ABQ. Not into this but sources tell me there is tons of excellent fishing on points north of Santa Fe. Excellent hiking/camping/roadtrip/etc. all over the entire state.

3 Likes

How long is the golf season in ABQ?

I have a cousin in Sandpoint. We stayed in CDA when we were out for her wedding. It’s a nice (scenic) drive from Denver, through Jackson up to that area.

1 Like

wtf man.

2 Likes

Courses remain open all year. There are usually 3-4 weeks per year when there is snow on the ground or it’s too cold to play, but they are non consecutive. Quantity and quality of courses is below average, but availability is excellent.

1 Like

Listen it’s still speculation but the struggle is real with ITP living with a kid. Our daycare is more than the mortgage.

1 Like

Love Chattanooga

2 Likes

So Im in a similar boat. After I graduate Ill be applying for new jobs and my fiance and I have been contemplating a move to a desired location and planning the job search around that. So I looked up some St. Andrews housing prices. Wow. Way more affordable than I thought. Weve always had a dream of living overseas. This might actually happen.

4 Likes

COVID times have my wife and I rethinking everything. We live in my wife’s hometown because she doesn’t want to venture very far from her 82 year old parents. We have been reconsidering that position since she hasn’t been able to visit with them everyday. We are contemplating a move to the Southern Pines, Pinehurst area.

We’ve long considered that area a potential retirement destination. Why not move to the retirement destination 20 years before retirement?

5 Likes

Its an interesting thought for sure, I run a large business that I ran remotely pre-covid. I go to an office every day because I prefer to go to an office, but have staff and partners spread out in different locations and it is workable as a business practice for many businesses. However, complete remote work definitely has its drawbacks, especially for mentoring and lower level positions. I would expect corporate jobs to end up in a more hybrid situation than complete remote work. But, after the last year its going to require business offer at least some remote options.

All that to say, this exact discussion will be interesting to follow as we see a housing trend for relocation for people that can work fully remote. How many people remove to potential retirement destinations or further from their man office/city center if not required to be as often. For me, pre-covid myself and partners would travel typically at least monthly.

The WSJ had an interesting story on this topic this morning.

I’m in a role that I assume will be a hybrid role moving forward. There are times when I feel like I should just stay here and keep doing what I’m doing. But there are other times when I feel like this is a great opportunity to keep my same job and move somewhere else that has better weather.

Anyway, this is worth a read: How Remote Work Is Reshaping America’s Urban Geography - WSJ

3 Likes

Hey @BigBird have you settled on anywhere yet?

1 Like

Not yet, I’m gonna enjoy the golf season in Chicago and relocate closer to November/October.

Planning on visiting SLC, Spokane, Texas, Tuscan/ABQ before making a decision. As of right now, I dont think Scotland is in my cards as much as I would like to move out there for a year.

1 Like

Funnily enough I played with an RACDG GB&I member the other day from New Orleans who bought a flat in St Andrews a couple of years ago and made the move. He’s now living just outside London but still has his place there. Member at Crail and has a links ticket. So may be worth a chat with him at some point.

Happy to give you any advice about Spokane too, as it’s only 30 mins from my home in CDA and I know it really well. You’d probably be better off actually living in CDA and having Spokane nearby as a main centre for shopping and culture though. Taxes are lower in ID and though I like Spokane, it’s better to live in CDA. It’s prettier. Nicer to hang out. And we have the lake in summer. Golf scene round there is pretty good, though obviously its a summer thing (BIG winter sim golf scene though). The flip side is winter is all about winter sports. Skiing, snow mobiling, etc.

Becoming a member at a country club is as expensive as it is anywhere else (main ones being Hayden Lake CC & Black Rock around CDA and Manita and Kalispel in Spokane) but the muni courses are plentiful (Qualchan and Liberty Lake are okay) and not very busy. Indian Canyon by the airport is outstanding, if only they’d take a fucking chainsaw to the trees and cut it back properly. The Links out at Post Falls near Rathdrum is amazing as a $40 muni. I play it all the time. Prairie Falls, Highlands and CDA Muni are all pretty solid. And of course there’s the Resort if you want to splash out. Circling Raven is fucking spectacular. And its only a couple of hours to Gamble Sands for the odd trip.

The best thing about round there though is the Great Outdoors. Hiking, camping, fishing. Just heading up to the Canadian Rockies - Banff is a 6 hour drive through fucking spectacular scenery. Spokane airport is also pretty easy to get out to other places. Only 45 mins to Seattle.

If you want to go out to see the area then let me know. This is one of my Mum’s places:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/32425032?adults=2&federated_search_id=6b1de7a9-0604-48ed-b4a9-53ce3cd3f39c&source_impression_id=p3_1620915149_9Koa9bbZxZDaBXd6&guests=1

I can get you a deal on a few days to base yourself there. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Should also say that CDA is getting really expensive, first as an Aspen type bolthole for the very rich, but also as a place for tech people getting away from the hubs in San Jose and Seattle. There’s a thing called the Innovation Collective there which is a kind of co-working hub for AI and Robotics, which you wouldn’t normally expect and its drawing in that crowd now.

A lot of people are deciding to move to nice areas as they can work from anywhere and a lot of them are going to CDA. The downside is property is getting more and more expensive, not to mention increasingly difficult to find. But the upside is there is a pretty lively community which is diverse and smart. It’s not a hick town any more. Just as likely to find a hipster coffee joint as a dive bar.

2 Likes

I moved from NYC to San Antonio last August and second this. Huge quality of life boost. The food scene is extremely underrated, cost of living is fair, and most importantly I have two practice facilities within 10 min of my house, one of which is open until midnight and I can get to my club in 14 min vs. the 50-60 it took me in New York.

That said, i’ve done the math on it and like others have said, move to Scotland if you can make it work.

3 Likes