Where is the ideal place to live

I would encourage you to look into Winston-Salem, NC instead of Raleigh. Better (and cheaper) public golf options and a lower cost of living plus the traffic isn’t nearly as bad. Also its nicely located an even distance between the mountains and the coast.

2 Likes

Where in the States? You can fly to most places from Edinburgh these days and it’s not much longer or expensive to get to the north east portion of the US than flying from the western side of the US. It’s about 5 -6 hours to NYC. About 7-8 to Chicago and Seattle.

1 Like

I thought the point of the refuge paywall was no burners were needed @Randy

11 Likes

For me it is anywhere within 30 miles of Santa Barbara, CA or St. Andrews, Scotland.

2 Likes

I live in Raleigh, so if you have any questions or need specific info, let me know. @NCgolfer05 suggested Winston-Salem over Raleigh and made some valid points. I used to live about 20 minutes from Winston-Salem so I’ve kind of seen both. I will say, public golf is better in Winston-Salem/Greensboro area. I’d rate it a 7 out of 10 factoring in number of courses, how nice the courses are, and price. I’d rate Raleigh a 6 out of 10. A little fewer in the immediate areas, not quite as nice, and a little more expensive. However, the cities themselves feel quite different. If you do end up considering Winston-Salem as well as Raleigh, I’d highly suggest spending some time in both before you make a decision.

2 Likes

Charleston?

Charleston Muni is awesome, great climate. Options for a ton of golf in the area but also north and south in Myrtle or Hilton Head.

6 Likes

I mean the obvious answer is there is only one place in the US to live and that is New Orleans. Of course, I am bias and it is awesome but it is for a special breed of person. Public golf is not great either, I play private golf but severe lack of elevation here. But, as Chris Rose said the longer you live in New Orleans the more unfit you become to live anywhere else.

Outside of New Orleans, I think I would consider areas like South Carolina or North Carolina with moderate climates and good golf. Throw Georgia in there as well. Coming from Chicago I am not sure you’re ready for a Texas or Florida summer. It is next level heat and humidity down on the Gulf Coast.

3 Likes

Buddy of mine just moved there for work. We are gonna be looking to relocate from Atlanta end of year and I am excited to go visit and check it out.

Birminhamg, Chattanooga, Aiken, Asheville, Greenville (SC) and Raliegh have been on the shortlist as well.

3 Likes

The last trip I took that had me thinking about relocating was to New Mexico. Depending on economic status you could be closer to ABQ on the more affordable end up to Santa Fe on the high end. Lots of good public mountain / desert golf. Taos is close by if you like to ski in the winter. Nice long Golf season. I went to play Golf in March and it was long sleeves in the morning, short sleeves in the afternoon type of weather. Santa Fe was a fun eating and drinking town.

Only spent one long weekend in ABQ / Santa Fe so can’t give it a full endorsement, but it certainly was appealing.

4 Likes

So vice me adding random places I see you mentioned somewhere in Texas and I would have to recommend San Antonio having lived there for 4 years the city really grew on me, the food and beer scene is amazing. The golf is fairly good but you will be playing in 110 degree weather during the summer but personally I didn’t have too many issues with this. Cost of living is very fair and pre covid the city in the month of February is one giant party with parades through downtown and the rodeo. I could go on but if this peeked your interest I’m sure the people in the Texas thread could help you out further.

3 Likes

Pismo Beach and the 5 cities area. Don’t have the college kid scene and the golf in the surrounding area is still good.

3 Likes

What sort of sized city / town are you looking at btw? And I’d there a reason? Like, do you want a city big enough to have a sports team and international airport or something?

I’m in Philly Burbs and I always thought Charleston would be a place I would consider. Food scene is amazing. Winter, Spring, Fall is mild. Golf scene is good. Summer’s are scorching hot however.

1 Like

Yeah but you’re going to get scorching summers for most of the east coast south of you. My parents live in williamsburg and that place can get toasty and I’m down here in Charlotte area getting roasted.

It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but Kansas City is tremendous. Little chip-on-shoulder feel as a smaller “big” city. Passionate sports fans. Good BBQ. Very affordable, even as the housing market remains competitive nationally. Just wish we could golf year round.

2 Likes

When you put it that way it makes it more feasible. I have family in Chicago and SLC.

Thanks for the info

I’ve been in Chicago for too long. Before I moved back to Chicago I lived in Las Vegas and I went to school in Missoula, MT and I loved Missoula. (Vegas climate isn’t the best it’s either super hot or very windy) I would prefer a smaller town and my only requirements are golf, decent climate and an airport that hopefully has direct flights to Chicago.

I’m SF Bay Area born and raised but spent two years in Chapel Hill for grad school and would put in a strong rec for the triangle. Awesome quality of life there and plentiful basically year round golf options

2 Likes

There are no mountains anywhere near Richmond, hills maybe. Went to VCU, now live in Utah. Not bagging on the golf scene in Richmond at all however.

Ha! You’re right. They call them mountains. (Afton mountain). I grew up near to Denver so I hear you. How long ago at VCU? I’ve only been here 19 years

1 Like