Where are my "Mid-South" Refugees?

Will be hard for me to be the lead on an event from a time perspective, but I would certainly be able to help and of course play. I have some connections in different parts of Kentucky. I believe there is also a redesign/new course currently in the works around Cave City (between Bowling Green and Louisville.

The bourbon trail idea is a great one. The guys have mentioned on a pod getting up to the area for an EC/ Heaven Hill visit too.

2 Likes

It’s just a running joke man, I’m sorry.

1 Like

No worries. I figured it was.

I have emailed my course in Roanoke VA off 81 about some potential dates

4 Likes

Is virginia mid south?

Located in the Memphis area here (Hernando, MS). Would definitely be interested in a refuge event in the area. Headed to Sweetens in April.

1 Like

This is the far western part of the state, closer to tn. 5 hours from the coast. 3 hours from Charlotte. I’m hosting either way was just letting y’all know lol.

1 Like

:+1: good deal

Located in Nashville and would be down for an event within 3 hours travel time. Would be interested in seeing the Overton Park renovation by King-Collins when it is finished in Memphis. Played there back in college and can remember how great the park setting was but the golf course was very uninspiring. Also would take any excuse to get back to Jackson, MS where I went to college.

3 Likes

There will be a rollback/old tech event in Tennessee - announcement coming soon. Looking at dates in May.

6 Likes

Hy Banzaitrey,
I’m also a Hernando, MS resident. Hit Sweetens Cove in September, very cold but had a blast. Planning another trip in 2021. Good to know a fellow NLU’r is so close.

1 Like

As a fellow Evansville resident, I second this, but also realize that there is next to Zero chance of it ever happening. Lol

1 Like

Very new to this all, but I’ve relocated to the Jackson, MS area. While there’s not great options here, I hear nice things about Old Waverly/Mossy Oak around West Point, MS. Is in decent striking distance from Memphis, Birmingham. Nashville would be a bit of a haul, but it might be worth considering. Again, new to this, so I’m not sure how cost, lodging, difficulty, etc. is considered. Just a thought.

3 Likes

As a Millsaps graduate, I can say Jackson was a desert for public golf when I was there. Though the Refuge (golf course, not message board) is supposed to be completing soon, I hear, so that should be good as long as isn’t too expensive to play or join. The munis were so run down when I was there though I always thought Pearl had some good holes (except for #13 par 5 on the back, that is such a stupid hole). We spent a lot of time at (then Sonny Guy) Pete Brown Golf facility which was ultra cheap and ultra run down so kind of ideal for poor college kids.

I too have heard good things about Old Waverly and also, though not really in the same tier in terms of conditioning or experience, about Dancing Rabbit (also 2 courses). While we are throwing out locations, my favorite golf course I have ever played is Pursell Farms in Sylacauga, AL. Super wide and just a very cool golf course all around. I will travel extra far for width.

Yes, the local public golf scene seems tough. Fingers crossed for Brazen Head and all the goodness it will hopefully bring. Hit me up if you ever make it back to Jackson for a reunion or something.

Again, new here. Anyone ever tried to organize a couple of rounds at the munis around Nashville? McCabe, Percy Warner, Shelby etc. could make for a nice multi-day experience.

Is there a start park course near by in Jackson?

Check out the Roll Call: Nashville thread. There were some guys discussing some of the munis the other day.

Old Waverly is… ya know words don’t do it justice. Make time for a trip there. Gulf Coast has good options if you ever want to make a weekend out of it. The Preserve, Grand Bear, Shell Landing, Diamondhead CC, Windance CC, or Fallen Oak (if you stay a night at The Beau RIvage).

1 Like

Second the golf on the Gulf Coast. Having lived there for 5 years, it has some underrated courses. Shell Landing and Grand Bear are great values.

2 Likes

Can also vouch for the Gulf Coast. Lived in Mobile AL for 5 years and there are a lot of nice courses along the I-10 corridor. If you want to bring the family I recommend Gulf Shores AL. Condos / Beaches are great, tons of good restaurants and entertainment for the kiddos, and you can play Kiva Dunes, Peninsula, Lost Key (aka Lost Ball) and Craft Farms. Not to mention everything is affordable.

3 Likes