Trap Draw: Magical Kenya

Although a bit biased growing up in Lafayette, LA, I don’t even need to look at the rest of the Korn Ferry Tour stops to confirm this is easily the best food stop on their tour. @Tron, the Louisiana Open is a great tournament and one of the longest run events on the Korn Ferry Tour dating back to when it was the Ben Hogan Tour. I also grew up playing at LeTriomphe Golf and Country Club.

1 Like

The shoes are wild, technically legal (I believe) but certainly feels like cheating. Forget about the golf ball, we need to roll back the racing flat.

If I recall those sub 2 hour attempts were not official because of the rotating pacers and pace car with a laser. And maybe some other rules about the shoes being generally available to the public?

It’s a bit convoluted. They are illegal for sanctioned events. These Sub 2 exhibitions aren’t sanctioned and wouldn’t stand for a world record because of the shoes and as you mentioned the rotating pacers. World Athletics (formerly IAAF) stipulates that for a record to be ratified, the race must have 3 athletes who contest in good faith.

Which is typically why you see world record attempts on the track (800m and up) have a pacer who handles a portion of the race and then steps out with at least 3 or 4 other athletes behind the person being paced.

My favourite example of this was Hicham El Guerrouj and his Mile World Record.

El G had a bunch of pacers, including Noah Ngeny (shoutout Kenya!), but it was a real race and Ngeny recognized that and decided he was going to say fuck pacing, I want to race. Guerrouj set the World Record, but Ngeny also broke the previous one.

3 Likes

I think the original vaporfly is legal since they are <=40mm midsole, available to the public, and only have 1 plate. Then they used the “next %” ones in attempt 2 and those would not be legal?

1 Like

Yup! There is a retail version that is deemed legal (and they are stupid comfy).

Nike has also started toying around with including some of that tech in their track spikes. Some of the concept images I’ve seen are crazy.

I was at my height in the days of the OG Nike Victory and the Lanang/Mamba. Crazy to think that those shoes could have been improved upon.

2 Likes

All my PRs are in the original Zoom Victory, was shocked at how fast those were

I ran Boston in the vaporfly 4%, magical shoe

1 Like

You speak my language!

I was a bigger fan of the Miler than the Victory, but I also ran all of my PRs in the Vic (49.2/1:52.31/3:52.19/4:09.98). I had them in the white/red and red/green/yellow colourway. All-time favourite spikes though were the OG Eldorets. I loved them for xc races.

1 Like

I had some custom orange/blue Milers with NikeID in high school, loved those. I had the highlighter green/yellow victory 1:51/3:43/4:05, I miss the track days

1 Like

Patrick’s dark horse pick in the Magical Kenyan Open has some work to do tomorrow to make the cut. Let’s get some birdies!!

I did hear from sources in the ground that he has a comfy pairing for the second round …

1 Like

Was excited for some Kenya coffee golf this morning, but tuned into a replay of a Rolex Series event in Abu Dhabi. Of course, no ticker on the golf channel telling us what is going on.

Found this

Looks like our dark horse didn’t make it to the weekend.

@Randy I haven’t made it through the whole pod yet but had a question for you. Is your guest, Patrick, a member of the refuge? Turns out I work for the same office and am based in DC. Wanted to reach out to him to get a round in when he comes home! (And didn’t want to reach out through our work system initially)

He is not, unfortunately. Don’t think he has a twitter either (that I can find). Sorry about that.

2 Likes

All good! He’ll get a very weird email tomorrow

5 Likes

Most recent Trap Draw on Oscars is comedy. So many good takes. “Our Friend” wow, altitude or not, thats gonna get you @Randy :raised_hands:t2: