TILT Tournament Scoring Template

Hi All,

Since following the NLU crew, I’ve really been taking advantage of the TILT scoring game for long buddies tournaments. It has made it way more enjoyable experience as we have friends of all different handicaps. I have looked around and did not find any spreadsheet or anything to help with scoring, so I had created one a little while back to help with a full tournament TILT scoring. If anyone wants to try it out I have attached the link below. Let me know if you have any questions about it that I can help work out. Other than that, I hope you all enjoy!

Edit: Great thanks for the help everyone. I have now added the dropdown for tee boxes. So individuals will no longer need to adjust any formula whatsover. Hopefully this is more user friendly. Let me know if there are any other suggestions and i hope people enjoy

Edit Pt2: Didn’t realize it was fully locked for everyone. I have now created an additional copy for everyone to copy and use if so desired!

Best,
Geordie

14 Likes

HATE to see that

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1omzMUZ2TjOmaYt4Ssmu2gB2mF0LxSHxipPKA4XGBCLI/edit#gid=1782959562

I do like the collapsibility you got going, much cleaner. Gonna use a trip I did last year to compare them.

Edit: Already noticing the one I posted has the course handicap calc’d wrong, wasn’t taking into account the rating-par portion. Love the ability to select separate tees as well. Think a neat feature would be able to select the tees from a drop down as part of the HCP cell under the player.

Sorry! I did not find it posted prior, and cant access your spreadsheet. Yeah I kind of plug away and make improvements every once and a while. The tee idea is a great one!

No reason to apologize! Yours has a much better layout and flow to it. Just a bit of manual work for switching the tees, which really isn’t that bad.

We always play tilt too. It’s a game that can run in the background and you can do a lot of other gambling during the round. But it also get’s your blood pumping when you’ve made a few net birdies in a row and are trying for a safe landing. Great overall betting game for a golf trip.

Typical Gambling Games in pay each day for our group (12 golfers typically):

• Week Long Tilt w/ Tilt Champion Winning the Week
  • Wolfhammer/Wolf/Nassau within your foursome
  • 3:2 Putting Challenges when called

Something else that would be good to include is instead of having the formula hardcoded with the hole values (0 bogey, 2 par, etc), reference the section in the top right. Other people might not use the same values so being able to dynamically update that would be awesome

1 Like

I have a pretty basic template in Numbers which I find much easier to input on the course on an iPhone at least. Every hole you just do score, enter, score, enter, etc. No tapping into cells. Unfortunately the conditional formatting in Numbers sucks so you can’t highlight when on tilt by looking at gross scores, gotta confirm with the detail below the scores.

Good idea i have changed it to have those modifications. I am looking into the dropdown list idea as well!

On google sheets the app it is a little bit of a nuisance having to tap on the exact cell, but the speed of the process is still similar to a scorecard!

Here’s a template I made a couple years back, in case there’s anything in there feature-wise that’s useful to you.

2 Likes

I found an error in the formula used for calculating a players course handicap. It’s missing the adjustment for adjustment relative to the rating minus the courses par. I am not an excel expert, barely a novice so I don’t know how to add the adjustment to the current formula

Using my HC and my courses rating slope and par for the example below.

Course HC = Index 16.1 x Slope 132 / 113 (average slope) = 18.807 then the adjustment is the course rating 69.5 - 71 course par = -1.5

18.8 - 1.5 = 17.3 rounded to 17. (X.4 or lower is rounded down and X.5 or higher is rounded up)

Yes I understand that the formula effects every player equally if using this template but if others are scoring at home they will have different course HC

1 Like

Great catch. Thank you for that comment, i have fixed the error. The issue was it did not adjust the par based on the different tee options. It should now work for any of the three tee box options(as long as they are filled out!). Let me know if thats what you were asking about and if you have any other questions.

This is excellent and easy for me - I added the slight adjustment to the course handicap as described above and am taking this to my Ireland trip. Not sure if I’ll use my phone during the round or just markup the card with it and input afterwards but either way should make for a great way to do a trip long challenge.

1 Like

Actually have a question for @inthehallwiththerope or @GPrice123 - I am playing a few nine hole rounds, and while I adjusted the formula to figure out a nine hole handicap, it calculates the right course handicap, but it only gives half the dots. That is if I’m normally a 14 CH, it shows me at 7, but only gives three or four dots – if anyone can diagnose the issue, I’m talking about tabs like Castlerock Bann, Cruit or Carne Hackett:

I didn’t look much into the formulas but what i can see just from the formatting is that you adjusted the players handicaps (in half) but you didn’t adjust the course handicap. So the course handicap still has the 1-18 difficulties but i think they should only be 1-9 for that to work.

1 Like

Duh of course that makes sense thanks!!!

Adjusted it and it’s solved.

I had a lot of trouble setting this up right but it seems like my totals for Tilt aren’t calculating out to the correct final standings.

1 Like

Sorry you had trouble setting it up. I guess i could have been more clear in the instructions. If you are trying the template under MCC, the issue you were having was there were more courses listed in the standings than in the spreadsheet. So i resolved that. The standings calculates the total based on the amount of courses listed in that spreadsheet. Hopefully that helps, let me know if that answers your question!