The Rail @ Aiken Golf Club

Just about…moved into the neighborhood in Oct. Still a member over at Ft Jackson. Once that goes out, we’ll be joining Cobblestone “fer sure”. Being able to play 9 out my backyard is pretty sweet. Do you think a Cola/Blythewood meetup could be in the future? Don’t want to step on @LukeBoatright toes, but I’d love to set something up next spring or fall.

2 Likes

The thing about meet ups is there are no rules. I have fat feet and most of my toes are broken from stubbing them in the damn furniture that has been sitting in the same place for god knows how long.

2 Likes

Yeah to echo Luke, do whatever. People will show. Lancaster and Edgewater would be other great courses to include, and I’ve heard Chester is fun too.

1 Like

I love the vibe at Chester. Not a very demanding course but always fun. The layout has a few loops back to a central point and it’s a great walk. Greens always seem to be good.

I love a good walk which is one downfall of CP or Edgewater, not as “enjoy the walk” friendly. I need to get up to Chester. Played Lancaster, front 9 is a Ross, and it was super fun

Just played 9 holes at each of these the past two weekends. For some reason I enjoyed Lancaster slightlyyyyy more but not by much. The guy at the pro shop at Chester was not my favorite. Course was good though. Slightly less open than Lancaster front 9. I would play either again in a heartbeat, especially for the value of the twilight rounds.

1 Like

I think the back 9 at Lancaster is really fun as well. That par 3 on the front left edge of the property is sick. Edgewater and CP aren’t necessarily walkable but is still great golf.

i had no idea you could walk at CP. thought it was all carts.

i’m down for a meetup around Blythewood or up around Chester/Lancaster/Ft Mill

FTFY

1 Like

They are making an appearance in NC next weekend. Probably for Sunday’s round. Still working on scripting.

2 Likes

@LukeBoatright pulling up to the first tee at Pine Needles

“sir im sorry but we don’t allow frisbees on this golf course”

1 Like

Guy that designed the back 9 at Lancaster did all of Chester. Russell Breeden, he’s done a few others I’ve played and I would say they are all fun courses.

1 Like

Nice did not know that. What others?

Breeden was a good designer but I find that a lot of His courses around here aren’t very well taken care of by the owners which is a shame.

Pinewood, Baytree courses (RIP), Ocean Isle Beach (RIP) and Possum Trot (RIP) are Breeden courses I’ve played. Baytree Gold and Pinewood were the best of the bunch. Pinewood is a really good course in Asheboro, NC.

2 Likes

Pinewood is a hidden gem for sure. It is a great course. It is private but they let public get tee times on Mondays (I think.). I highly recommend playing it.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed a few courses where Ross did 9 and Breeden did a second 9.

2 Likes

Around CLT he did Charlotte National, Raintree (not sure if he did both) and had a hand in Tega Cay. In VA, I used to play Hanging Rock while in college. Not the types of courses that will blow you away but just good fun.

Charlotte national is actually pretty fun, and Tega Cay is great.

I’ve thought about playing Cobblestone on my way back from this event…

3 Likes