The Rail @ Aiken Golf Club

Anyone want to play that Friday, the day before?

The people who own AGC also own another course in town. Was going to talk to him about what kind of deal he could get the group for either Friday/Sunday. There are also a lot of other great courses in the area.

I plan to play Friday and Sunday AM

EDIT: Any lurking ANGC members we could probably fill out a 4some pretty easilyā€¦

10 Likes

Updated. TBD on all timing as I should be fairly flexible.

1 Like

Sweet. Updated the sheet with details. A member-guest Iā€™m in that was postponed may be rescheduled to this weekend. Iā€™ll update it as soon as I know.

1 Like

A Cedar Creek/Aiken Golf Club weekend would be quite the interesting weekend. Very, very different tests of golf: super old school design in the middle of downtown vs. the ā€œchampionship styleā€ residential layout thatā€™s out near the nuke plant.

The City Amateur briefly experimented with playing one round on each as kind of the ultimate test of golf. I want to say that lasted two years before switching back to all 36 at AGC. I think the main gripe for our locals was that the courses are about 20 minutes apart and CC is damn near in another town. I also think the senior/super senior crowd didnā€™t like the addition of a longer, tougher course.

Cedar Creek looked great last time I was out there, which was maybe last fall. Jimā€™s renovations are still new but finally old enough to be rounding into what he had planned for them.

2 Likes

Itā€™s one of the options Iā€™ll throw out to the group. I used to play ceder all the time in college but donā€™t remember anything about it except for me back then it was long. Iā€™ll throw a list of suggestions out with the big roll out later.

1 Like

I love small town people having to drive more than 5 minutes being inconvenienced :joy:

4 Likes

I have a major soft spot for Houndslake because I grew up playing it, but itā€™s just not in the shape it used to be. Drains horribly, so Iā€™d want a no-rain guarantee for at least a week leading up to the round. Still a fun layout, and Iā€™ll always love it.

I had to try real hard not to roll my eyes when people told me that :joy:

Are you still taking entries? (Edit: to the alternate list I go)

1 Like

Absolutely

1 Like

HL was primo back in the day.

1 Like

If your looking for a 2nd course go ANYWHERE but houndslake. Just finished a tournament here and the greens are easily the worst within 40 miles of aiken.

1 Like

Hate to hear that.

Iā€™d love to attend as an Aiken native. Having trouble getting the google sheet to let me edit.

Can anyone add me as an alternate?

1 Like

Just added you.

Iā€™m not surprised, but it still sucks to hear.

Idk if your going for ease of access or not but if your looking for the local area forest hills is currently in phenominal shape old donald ross design.

1 Like

Forest Hills is definitely on the list of recā€™s for people to play that weekend.

1 Like

Unable to edit the google sheets right now but got confirmation, Iā€™ve got scheduling conflicts with the new date and wonā€™t be able to make it.