The CLC Matchplay - Season 4: PODS are live... Get to playing those matches

Put me down for the Eastern pod

5 Likes

It is a tremendous honor to follow in @BrooklynAJ 's path as the 2nd CLC match play champ. NLU, the CLC and the First Flight roost have all been so very good for me on a personal level. I have gone from playing 6-10 rounds of golf per year with the same 3 guys to playing ~50 rounds with ~40 different amazing people. It is something that I look forward too on a weekly basis and has been a huge positive in my life, especially when the hardships that we all face are smacking us in the gut.

This year has not been without some controversy. It wouldnā€™t be an NLU adjacent event without some. I was 5-1 in my pod play, finishing at the top of my pod. I then had to play an extremely tough player in @BCates in the round of 32. Ben had made the final 4 the year before and I knew would be a tough match. It was and I lost 1.5 and 1. I had the great fortune to be resurrected as the Zombie when someone in the round of 16 had to leave the tournament. Zombie rules dictated that I start 2.5 down. I somehow overcame the challenge and took advantage of my opportunity to move on. By the luck of the draw I got Ben again in the final 4. When neither of us had our best stuff I was able to squeak out a victory. I still donā€™t feel great that Ben had to play me 2x to get to the finals but it is what it is.

The final match against our dearly departed Naner was as much as you can have on the golf course. We met with 6 other CLCers on a very wet Country Club of Salisbury. It had just rained over an inch that morning. It was a mudderā€™s paradise. With no warm up we jumped right in. Somehow, I found my swing right away going out to a 3 up lead after 4. My driver was solid and my irons where stronger than usual. Add in that I made a ton of 4 to 6 foot putts and the day ended pretty early. Playing the last 4 holes as a 8some in celebration might have been the best part of the entire year.

Thanks to all (or one) guys that supported me and had my back. @Harper and I seemed to be the only 2 that believed I could do this thing. I have noted others that may have had less confidence. Jk, it was all in good fun and the verbal support I received was tremendous all year.

Chalk one up for the old guys. I will treasure the trophy for the year and be ready to defend my title next year.

19 Likes

Great win @grizzly224! And Thank you @Swing_hard_and_hope for organizing this and keeping track of things. The play by play final 4 matches and final is incredible #content as well. Canā€™t wait for next year!

4 Likes

Fantastic work Commissioner @Swing_hard_and_hope! Your efforts are appreciated beyond words along with all the other volunteers that made this season possible!

Congratulations again to @grizzly224!!!

4 Likes

Season 3? SEASON 3

The Brief

It is often said that matchplay offers competitors the purest form of golf. The way the game was intended to be played. It is also rumored that The Carolinas offers the purest golf courses this side of the pond. Well why not bring those two things together for a glorious competition shared amongst friends? Yes this is a copy from last year, why ruin a good thing, letā€™s run it back!

The Details

The CLC Matchplay will be a year long event, consisting of competition in and around the ā€œCarolinasā€ area. These competitors, based on regional preference, will be placed into pods for our ā€œgroup stageā€ competition, play matches, and advance on until we crown a champion.

Everyone who signs up will be guaranteed at least three matches as a part of your ā€œpodā€ play.

Signup here: CLC Matchplay 2023 Signup

The deadline for signup at the link above is February 28th at 11:59PM Eastern.

There will be a $25 buy in for the matchplay. This is for two main reasons:

1. This holds folks accountable for signing up and playing their matches.
  2. We will utilize the funds to help run back end logistics, trophy / prize funding, subsidize costs for the final 4, and donations to charity.

Frequently asked questions

1. How does this work with the regional / national roosts competitions?
  • CLC Matchplay will remain separate from the roost competitions.
  1. Do I have to be a refuge / nest member?
  • Nope, you just have to like some competitive golf and make sure we know to get a hold of you for matches.
  1. I am going to make the Final Four, when and where will that be?
  • TBD for now, going to work on getting that nailed ASAP. It will be a weekend in October, because the sun remains undefeated. We will make it a great golf destination!
  1. When is the matchplay going to get started?
  • I promise we will over communicate over time, for now the plan is to get as many folks signed up who are interested (Deadline Feb) and then start working on the logistics / schedule from there. Likely launch date of 3/15 with 3 months to get your pod matches in.
  1. So who are past champions?
10 Likes

Kills me not to be able to play this year. Just not feasible to play from 5 states away.

But if you end up with a NY/NJ pod Iā€™m comin to take that trophy backā€¦

4 Likes

I am hosting all of my pod matches at Cardinal.

Also, is the trophy engraved with the past winners? If cost is an issue or we need a placeholder, I could try to source some brass blanks and stamp them, it just wonā€™t look as nice as engraving.

5 Likes

Can we be put in the ā€œOtherā€ pod - maybe play a Home/Away series of matches? Put @westerj12 in that pod too so I can beat his back doors in while heā€™s over here in April.

5 Likes

Reigning champ is signed up. Come and get it.

5 Likes

First year in the Matchplay for me, donā€™t know what I got myself into!

4 Likes

@BrooklynAJ should come over to Scotland in April too and weā€™ll have our own pod play. And then I can win by default since neither of you will be able to play the rest of the matches.

3 Likes

Send me the dates. Itā€™s the longest of possible shots but I will investigate.

Landing April 1st. Flying home April 7th. And @JamesHCard said he could get us on The Old Course guaranteed. And Carnoustie. And obviously Trump Turnberry (his home course).

7 Likes

What a guy!

2 Likes

12 Likes

IN!

7 Likes

In like Flynn, as always. YHM is down as wellā€”this may be his year.

2 Likes

Hey, I took advantage of an opportunity. Canā€™t fault me for that.

1 Like

I would like it very much if you made this your signature move for first tee introductions.

1 Like

Glad you have time to play in this one since youā€™ve been eliminated from the Cannon Crew match play