The CLC Matchplay - Season 4: PODS are live... Get to playing those matches

Gonzo4040 and I are kicking off pod 4 play today at Springfield golf club. St patty’s day match, we shall so who is most lucky.

6 Likes

Pod 16 getting kicked off tomorrow AM at a 2022 US Open venue, Pine Needles.

@CrucialTaunt vs @Swing_hard_and_hope

I believe @ColoniusFunk will even be in attendance as a witness. Updates to follow friends!

6 Likes

Can CLC Matchplay and FF match occur at same time as long as there is proper notice?

2 Likes

I think @Swing_hard_and_hope did say that CLC matchplay and FF matches could count for both

2 Likes

That is what I was hoping for…Don’t get to meetup to often so I would rather knock out two birds with one stone if possible

1 Like

2 Likes

I spy sprigs of green in those fairways!

1 Like

Refuge member

Gonzo4040(Alex) and I kicked off the CLC match play for the year and for pod 4. We played at Springfield golf club. It was a little soupy but the greens were still in good condition. I was giving Alex 17 shots on the round.

Hole 1 340 yard-par 4. alex hit 3 wood, which he did a lot considering he banished the driver and didn’t bring it. He got a cart bounce had around 150 in landed short left 2 chip and 2 putts.I hit 4 iron from tee, 130 in 50 degree to 15 ft 2 putt ended me 1 up thru 1.

Hole 2 par 353 par 4 I hit one left into the woods punch out onto the green in 3 and 2 putt bogey. Alex hit the middle, hit short of the green, great chip and 1 putt for par back to even

Hole 5 372 yard par 4. we both hit fairway, both hit green alex front and closer, me back and longer and I 3 putt, Alex 2 putts To go 1up thru 5

Hole 6 467 yard par 5.I hit one OB, Alex got on the green in 4 and two putted for 2 up thru 6

Hole 7 384 yard par 4 number 1 handicap. Sharp dogleg left with rocks and ditch short of green both hit irons off the tee into the fairway. Alex had around 180 layed up short of the shit, I hit a 8 iron from 170 30ft short of the pin 2 putt to take it back to 1up Alex thru 7

Hole 9 391 yard par 4 .Alex topped a 3 wood then crushed a long iron OB thru the dogleg. We both struggled on this hole I 3 putted to bring it back to AS thru 9

Hole 10 333 yard par 4 we both stubbed our toes.Alex hit fairway but then landed short right into a bunker and got a bad break and got pinned against the lip and took a few to get to the green. I hit one OB into the water short then went long chipped up and 2 putted to go 1 up thru 10

Hole 11 352 yard par 4 way up hill, Alex went left and followed the tree line up. I hit driver wedge 2 putt to hit 2 up thru 11

Hole 12 512 yard par 4 Has a huge ravine before the green. Alex went short off the tee and had some trouble with the hazard. I hit driver, wedge layup, 54, 2 putt to go 3 up thru 12

Hole 14 372 yard par 4, we both hit iron off the tee and hit fairway. I hit a 50 degree into the bunker then couldn’t get out with muddy sand and then launched one over the green. Alex also hit bunker and hit over the green but got a great up and down to get back to 2up thru 14

Hole 15 311 yard par 4 the hole Alex didn’t get a shot on.both of us hit iron off the tee and found fairway Alex had about 150 in and hit it just left of the green chipped up and 2 putted. I hit a 58 from 110 yards landed pin high made the 15 footer for birdie to go 3 up thru 15

Hole 16 par 3 160 yards to the pin. Alex hit it long and right chipped short and chipped again and 2 putted I hit a 9 iron just short of pin and 2 putted to close out the match.

It was a fun match, Alex was a delight to play and chat with

9 Likes

I regret to inform the commissioner @Swing_hard_and_hope and the rest of my competitors that I need to withdraw from the competition. Things are moving faster than anticipated, thus I won’t have time to complete my matches.

1 Like

#sad

1 Like

Well I am normally one to provide waaaay too much detail on these recaps, but I’ll be honest the golf wasnt much to talk about.

Pace of play was good. Weather was amazing. The company was all you could ask for.

But the golf let a loft to be desired. That included 4 OB balls for your man, but scratched a clawed to a 2&1 victory on the 17th (I believe we pushed the hole with a double and triple respectively if you want a summation of how the round felt).

Good times were had and better matches will follow!

@CrucialTaunt @ColoniusFunk

6 Likes

@wiscojenks and myself kicking off Pod 2 with an away game for both at Mimosa this Saturday, in conjunction with the QCHive event. Expecting DRoss to be the real winner…

6 Likes

and the friends made along the way…

1 Like

Pod 2 kicked off play today with a match out at Mimosa Hills during the QCH event. The mixture of Donald Ross and mother nature (30mph wind gusts) set us up for an exciting day.

This was my first official event as a refuge/nest member and lets just say the nerves were up for the kid. Surprised I didn’t miss the ball on the first tee box.

After a back and forth battle the entire round, I was able to pull out a 3&2 win on 16. If anyone needs lessons on hitting a low flighted driver to stay out of the wind, Cory is automatic!
@wolfpack888

11 Likes

Pod 11 kicked off today with a match between @Jeff_M and I at Holly Ridge in Archdale. Jeff was giving me 10 shots which was highway robbery on my home course.

Hole 1 set the tone for the day. I went fairway, green, 2 putt for a solid par. Jeff went left off the tee, approach short and a fantastic chip to allow an easy par of his own. All square

Hole 2 was my first pop of the day. I went fairway, green, 2 putt for a 4 net 3. Jeff went left, hit a decent approach, fantastic lag putt for another easy par. Grizzly 1 up.

Hole 3 is a par 3 across water. I went long, poor chip and 2 putt bogey. Jeff hit the green and had another simple 2 putt par. All square.

Hole 4 is a up hill dogleg left par 5. Pop #2. I went right off the tee, next shot under a tree, topped approach, chip on, 2 putt 6 net 5. Jeff hit fairway and a good lay up because he was blocked by a tree. Approach was short and a good chip but he found himself above the hole on a tricky putt that didn’t fall. Grizzly 1 up.

Hole 5 a dog leg right back down the hill. I caught the slope with my drive and just had a wedge left. GIR and 2 putt 4 for 3 Jeff stayed on top of the hill, hit his approach right and hit the only poor chip of the day. Ended the hole with a double. Grizzly 2 up.

Hole 6 was a horrible pillow fight with both of us dunking one off the tee. Jeff won with a double. Nothing else needs to be said. Grizzly 1 up

Hole 7 par 5, Jeff hits a stripped drive and I went right. Jeff’s 2nd in a green side bunker. I topped mine. When looking for my ball we found it 6 in OB. We agreed to play it lateral. I hit my 4th to just right of the green. Jeff’s bunker shot was thinned and went OB. He hit is 5th on and 2 putted for double. I was able to get up and down for a 6. Grizzly 2 up.

Hole 8 par 3. Both miss the green. Both couldn’t get up and down. Halved with 4s. Grizzly 2 up.

Hole 9 par 4. Jeff is in the fairway off the tee but didn’t catch it so fairly far back. I’m right (again). Jeff hits his approach with a long club to just left and I top one bad. I was able to hit my 3rd to gimme range from 50 out for a 4 net 3. Jeff bounced his chip off the pin to just miss getting the half. Grizzly up 3 at the turn.

Hole 10 par 4 Jeff goes right off the tee. I go further right and catch a lucky break. I bounced it off a fence to keep it from going OB. I hit my approach on but 3 putt for bogey. Jeff hits his right but that short game is really getting hot. Great chip to gimme range. Grizzly 2 up.

Hole 11 par 3. Both of us short. Balls knocked down by the wind. Jeff gets up and down with a chip to a foot. I don’t get up and down. Grizzly 1 up.

Hole 12 par 4. Both hit good drives. Jeff’s approach comes up short and right. Mine is just short. Jeff hits a chip to gimme again. I blade my chip but 2 putt for a 5 net 4. Hole halved. Grizzly 1 up.

Hole 13 par 4. Both hit good drives. Jeff’s approach goes long. I hit the green. 2 putt par for me and Jeff’s chip got caught in the rough causing a bogey. Grizzly 2.up

Hole 14 par 5. I hit the fairway and Jeff finds a bunker off the tee. Jeff hits a great hybrid out of the bunker and we are both about even in the fairway after our layups. I hit the green and 2 putt for a 5 net 4 Jeff does the same. Grizzly 3 up.

Hole 15 par 4. Jeff goes left and is blocked by trees. I stripped the drive but duffed the next 2 wedges. Jeff hits a tree with his 2nd and his 3rd comes up short. Chips on and 1.putt for a bogey. I chip on and 1 putt for a 5 net 4 to win the match 4 and 3.

Great time playing with Jeff. His touch around the greens was really great to watch.

TL:DR. Grizzly beats Jeff 4 and 3 in a fun match where I took advantage of my pops.

8 Likes

Great write up! I’ll hope to have a handle on the irons a bit more for next weekend, at least it’s clear where my weak point is right now.

Couple photos from the day, it was a bit chilly to start but quickly warmed up and luckily the wind didn’t kick up too badly by the time we were done.

8 Likes

Today was a great day for a Hokie on Hokie battle. Pod 16 continued the matchplay as I took on @oldpatricksmith out at Heritage. It is rare to get to a first tee as a single digit handicap and find yourself getting 8 shots, but that was the situation today and I’ll be honest. I don’t hate it…

@pluds26 was there to witness (and play some VERY solid golf himself) so let’s dive right into it.

Hole 1: We both hit solid drives for the cold and windy morning. According to Arccos they were about 292 in the fairway. But I found a bunker with my second. Patrick made his par look easy and I flubbed a wedge to end up with a bogey. 1 Down early

Hole 2: First time I am getting a stroke and I hit an AWFUL drive - quick hook into the woods. After a punch out we walked away pushing the hole. 5 for me. 4 for Patrick. 1 DN

Hole 3: I’m trying to forget the skulled wedge that turned into double as quick as possible. Fir, Gir 2 putt for the scratch man. 2 DN

Hole 4: Another stroke. This time I actually hit a good tee shot after Patrick had the dreaded double cross off the tee. He went on to recover amazingly and almost chip in for birdie. But my 2 putt par was enough for the hole. 1 DN

Hole 5: Solid shots and putts on the par 3 out of both of us. 1 DN

Hole 6: I had a roller coaster of a hole which included finding the lake, flubbing a pitch 20 yards short, and hitting a 20ish foot putt for bogey. But that doesn’t mean anything. Another hole lost to Patrick’s smooth par. 2DN

Hole 7: Getting a stroke felt like a “must win” at this stage… lucky enough for me the pin was in a super hard spot. We matched bogeys which gave me the hole. 1 DN

Hole 8: Par 3. 2 really good tee shots again. A couple of 2 putt pars and we move on. 1DN

Hole 9: Another stroke here for me, so I was pumped to try and get this tied to head to the bad. So excited that I chunked my 3iron off the tee about 89 yards… that turned into a bogey for me, amazing up and down by Patrick. So we head to the back 1DN.

For those keeping track at home. 1 DN despite a 43 to Patricks 8 pars, 1 bogey 37.

Hole 10: This is the type of drive that got Patrick hating he was giving up 8. I was getting a stroke here and hit it a smidge over 300. We both hit TIGHT wedges from the fairway. One of us arm locked the thing home, while my putt just lipped off. First birdie for the day for Patrick. 1 DN

Hole 11: A pair of 3 putt bogeys to push the hole. No more story needed here. 1 DN

Hole 12: Another par 3 over the water that had two great shots. We both had about 20 feet left. Patrick nailed his before I went. I came up about 6 inches short in the heart. 2 DN as Patrick gets the second birdie on the board.

Hole 13: Stroking the next 3 so it’s go time. Patrick had a squirrely tee shot so I knew it was time to execute. 3iron to the fairway. Wedge to the green. 2 putt and left with the win. 1DN

Hole 14: Par 5 saw my driver get a little away from me in the wind. Awful up and down attempt and I walked away with the bogey. Patrick got greenside in 2, but had a hard wedge to end up with only a par. 1 DN

Hole 15: Long par 4 and I swung a little too hard looked like I was destined for OB, enough that I hit a provisional… Was lucky enough to find my ball in play, hit a 7 iron up and get home for the 2 putt par… This was enough to win the hole. TIED after 15 for the first time since the opening tee box.

Hole 16: After feeling good @oldpatricksmith tried to use his wisdom to goat me into trying to drive the short par 4… I did not and found the fairway with the 4 iron. He followed it doing the same. We both hit tight wedges to about 7 feet, but nether pulled off the putt. TIED

Hole 17: Still my tee box and I left the door open. I fanned my wedge like 10 yards short of the flag and way right. Patrick flagged on to about 12 feet long but all over it. I hit a solid wedge to about 7 feet. Patrick got home with his comfy two putt and was legit rooting for me to nail my putt to keep it going. I did. TIED going to 18.

Hole 18: Par 5. You get to bite off as much as you want with a carry of the lake. I popped my drive up first, but was lucky we were down wind. Patrick stepped up right after and hit it to position A. My second shot was a 6 iron that found the front left of the green, just short. This was about all I had access to. Patrick hit on a similar line, but got more rollout. He made the green with 40ish feet left for eagle. Another wedge to about 8 feet for me. Patrick hit a great putt to about 4 feet left. I was up first. Nailed the 8 footer for birdie. I’ll be honest I was jacked up, but acted casual. Patrick had no concerns slotting home his birdie as well. TIED Match with birdies on the last is about all you can ask for.

A one birdie 80 for your man. (43 front 37 back)
A 3 birdie back 9… 72 (37-35) for @oldpatricksmith

What a match with great company as well! Looking forward to Rd. 2

10 Likes

Awesome man!! Congrats on your first CLC Dub!

1 Like

Pod 6 kicked off at Pinehurst #3, the first leg of a home-and-home for me and @yungbunzz. I managed to catch The Yungster (or the Bunzzster, depending on your preference) on a sleep deprived day during his first week of fatherhood, came out with the 7&6 W.

Looking forward to running it back at a course of @yungbunzz’s choosing.

5 Likes

Myself and @Bigdawg121 faced off at Holly Ridge today for another Pod 12 match. After an up and down match I was able to hold on for the 1 up victory. This was a really fun match to play and I can’t wait to do it again!

1 Like