The Altamont at Avon Fields: 11/7 - Tee Sheets in Post 2773; Schedule in Post 2827

Mark, You coming to Aiken?

Luke has your name on the list but looking for confirmation.

No I am not. Unfortunately.

Not remotely. Iā€™m in my 50s, remember? ā€œJackedā€ is a lot harder to get to in middle age.

At this age, itā€™s a victory to do things like hard physical labor without being flattened the following day. I spread 120 bags of mulch, drank a beer after, and felt right as rain the next day. I have friends whoā€™d either hire it done or be immobile the week after. I lift because I intend to enjoy a long life, not just endure it. No rascal scooter for me.

My boys have both become avid lifters, which is cool. The skinny one has put on 40 pounds of lean mass this calendar year, and his not-at-all-skinny brother has lost like 50 pounds and is looking flat-out imposing. They both also managed to beat my deadlift PR, which they donā€™t tire of kidding me about now that Iā€™m not the strongest man in the family.

For revenge, I intend to live to 110 so I can be around for their inevitable descent into old age.

26 Likes

Miss you dude. Still havenā€™t seen you at Sweetens :wink:

3 Likes

For real, miss you too my gui. Iā€™m not one to post too terribly much but been poking around for a while. Was wondering where ya been.

1 Like

Words to literally live by. Bless you.

2 Likes

Should I drive in from Louisville for this? Maybe?

1 Like

Would love to participate but with the way things are right now, travel across the border is not really possible. Will be watching diligently from afar and would love to #getinvolved with any auctions or fundraising that comes along. Will hopefully be able to get to the next one!

@TwoCents I intend on dragging your ass down there next spring if I have to

3 Likes

@tedscott, Miss you too. I am, however, not dead yet: youā€™ll see me again.

@anon71339061: 1) Road trip? Hell yes. 2) Fall golf, best golf: we need to tee it up before the leaves have all fallen. Iā€™ll text you. Letā€™s get something going.

6 Likes

@anon94572428 were you able to get any info back from Avon?

3 Likes

I can confidently say this about you, @TwoCents: the refuge has missed you more than youā€™ve missed the refuge. We love ya, man.

9 Likes

Iā€™m itching to get back to Columbus after playing Denison. What a course!

1 Like

Hey guis! Apologies for being radio-silent the past several days, Iā€™ve been veryā€¦ very busy. Iā€™m glad to see so many interested though!

First off, I did hear back from Avon and they are open for reservations. This is what I got back from Paul Schildmeyer, the ā€œDirector of Salesā€:

He also sent me a PDF with some of the details of last yearā€™s reservation. This, however, is where Iā€™ve come to a crossroads of sorts.

Admittedly, I was unprepared for what this event might entail financially. Iā€™m a college student, living off of a self-dependent college student budget (in laymanā€™s terms, Iā€™m broke). I donā€™t want that to sound AT ALL like a sob story or somethingā€¦ instead, let me refer back to @aannddyy00ā€™s post from above:

Iā€™ll also quote my friend and fellow group member from last yearā€™s event, @gatorz7888:

If we put this on my own dime, itā€™s not going to be much. Itā€™s going to be a LOT different than last yearā€¦ honestly, I was just hoping that we could re-gather the group from last year (and maybe a few newcomers) at Avon and do another Ryder Cup-esque event, maybe a derby, maybe a Death Match between two notable Refugees, and have fun playing the game we love on a cool little muni in Cincinnati. It would be an awesome opportunity to raise a little money for @pushdraw and Stella, and, like @gatorz7888 said, to reminisce a little.

So, like I said before, this is not intended to be a sob story or begging or anything like that. All I wanted to get across is, if guis want it to be more like last yearā€™s SLSCO, Iā€™m going to need help. A lot of help. Iā€™m willing to put in as much as I can, but what I can put in is very little compared to what guis put into this last year.

5 Likes

Paging Chief Charguis @VelvetSteve @LJP @anon81973724

I am also happy to help with this.

3 Likes

Iā€™d lend a helping hand.

3 Likes

Should we start a new thread to get ideas on how we could do this?

1 Like

Book Avon.

Let us all know costs/need for deposit etc and we will make it happen

The extra swag and merch and stuff just kind of happens naturally.

11 Likes

What date? I personally think it would be freaking awesome to have a ā€œDeath Match at Dawnā€ on October 31st, but that also gives us the least amount of time to plan. Iā€™d really prefer not to do it on the 7th, so that some of last yearā€™s participants are able to attend (looking at you, @Lazstradamus, @Randy and others), so that leaves us with the 14th as another possible date, but then weā€™re risking it being about 20 degrees for the high temp.

Iā€™ll poll the Refuge and those interested: what date works best for you all?

• Saturday, October 31st (Halloween)
  • Saturday, November 7th (same day as NIT in Jax Beach)
  • Saturday, November 14th (could be 20, could be 80, itā€™s Ohio)

0 voters

1 Like

Obviously Iā€™m not cool like @gatorz7888 @aannddyy00 and the rest of you who made Strong Like Stella sound like such a magical event, but I would like to be a part of this. Thus, I voted for October 31st. I would be open to November 14th.

2 Likes