Thank You to the Refuge

This is long over due. Last year I had an accident not long after meeting some of you excellent people at Maxamania. It was a great afternoon that I was bragging about to my friends for weeks afterwards. I was lucky enough to have Craig reach out and help my friends to spread the word in this community. Thank you Craig.

This is one of those weird moments. I have a hard time talking about myself, and an even harder time recognizing where I am at today versus a year ago, but man is it a difference. I went from barely being able to use my hands to now fully upright in a manual chair with full functionality in my fingers. I had the best care in Chicago and have recently moved back to Detroit to be around my extended family again. I have been speaking with and meeting people that are actually “GROWING THE GAME” ™ with their work. I will golf poorly again.

I’m rambling. The point is to say thank you to all that donated last year and to say that even though I wont be the player I never was, I still can’t wait to pretend I was better on this board with out the usage of my body from my chest down.

-the no longer smoking HEATER (s)

122 Likes

Fantastic news, keep up the fight!

And kudos to Craigers

16 Likes

Great to hear from you! So happy to hear things are going in the right direction @heater!

3 Likes

Incredible news, @heater. Thank you for the update!

3 Likes

Welcome back @heater !! Glad to see this update from ya.

3 Likes

Dammit. Was not at Maxamania, but shit, reading this feels like finding out Tiger crashed after the Genesis.

What a comeback. Keep after it. Stick around. Play golf. Grow the game. Fuck shit up and keep on fighting. Can’t wait to hear about your new golf journeys in Detroit and beyond.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Except Tiger was on painkillers and is lucky he didn’t kill others, let alone himself. Tiger is a piece of shit

2 Likes

I only drop in here on rare occasion Kevin but captured a little bit of magic from you in your post. Sounds like you are on a helluva journey and while I don’t know you personally, I think “I will golf poorly again” is brilliant and universal and caught me in a moment. I love it.

2 Likes

Kevin, It was great playing with you at Max. I know we’ve texted a few times, but I’m glad to hear you’re working your way back to the game.

For those that weren’t at Max I or remember, Kevin signed up for the Refuge a day prior to the event, not knowing anyone. Rolls up to Rackham with a cooler full of community beer for the event. Straight class act!

5 Likes

Somehow I missed this awesome news from @heater but heard it referenced on the Nest pod. So great to hear about your progress Kevin. It was so great to hang out with you during Maxamania and I sincerely hope we’ll see you again at another event! We’ll continue to pray for you and I know you’ll keep fighting.

5 Likes

Heck yeah @tchap80 I’m doing great. Wonderful to here from you man! You will definitely see me at something. Hopefully next spring or summer.

Did you ever put the lift in for Max?

4 Likes

Yep! Thanks to Maxamania I, we were able to put in a great stairlift in our house to help transport Max up and down stairs. It’s been fantastic and is such a part of our daily routine - we are so thankful to everyone who helped make it happen!

And I cannot wait to meet up at another Refuge event next year and share a beverage with you!

17 Likes

@heater LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Had a blast riding along with you at Maxamania last year, man. You radiate an aspirational energy, and this comeback of yours is a massive inspiration.

4 Likes

Same here @Talented_Mr_Yipley. That was a fun day. Thanks for the kind words.

Cool stuff has been happening at the end of the summer. Long story short my dad got me linked up with a great PGA professional who has gone so far out of his way to help find equipment for me to start testing out what I can do. He recently found an adaptive cart not far from where I live that I can use. Trying hard to get out there and give it a go in the next couple weeks before I get too lost in college football.

@tchap80 lift looks great I’m hoping it’s making a big difference. I’m waiting to have an elevator lift installed at home so I can stop bumping steps to get inside.

7 Likes

That’s awesome progress and exciting to hear! Definitely gonna need some video action when you get out on the links! Seriously impressive stuff and can’t wait to keep following your journey.

1 Like