Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

Nice! I started curling 6 years ago and absolutely love it…makes the winter fly by. Seems to attract a lot of golfers.

I played Lawsonia for the first time in August and really enjoyed it. Would love to find another excuse to get up there.

Curling is the winter version of golf - you can suck and still enjoy it, you can have a beer while you play, and you are encouraged to stop in the bar after. Plus it’s nice to have something to look forward to each week.

The other nice thing for me is that I’m still new enough where I see a lot of improvement over time. Its been awhile since I could say that about golf!

1 Like

Alright, I need something to focus on to get me through winter. Whether I’m involved in the planning or not.

When we going to do this? (Lawsonia)

The Detroit shindigs are May 2nd. Mother’s Day is May 10th (also my wife’s bday, so that’s a definite no go for me). How about May 16th or 17th? Or should we look at later in the season?

I think May 16th or 17th sounds great - anybody else in?

May is a bad month for me personally. Dance competitions, recitals, and family birthdays look like they’ll tie up all of my weekends.

I’ll definitely be there if (and when) I can though. I love Lawsonia, and it’s not too far away.

May 16-17 is a no-go for me…stupid baseball tourney in the Dells.

We are expecting a baby in early June, so I’m out for June. I could probably make a Saturday or Sunday in July work. How does that look?

Survey to find a weekend, or possibly multiple.

Can a current Iowan crash this meetup? I was born in Madison then returned to Wisconsin for college if that helps my case.

I just went ahead and filled out the survey assuming they’d allow their friendly neighbors to the west.

2 Likes

Took the survey, but ignored everything after July. Not because I couldn’t make those dates, but because I want to see some tournament schedules before I’d commit to anything that far out.

As long as you agree that the only good thing about Iowa is waiving at the kids in the Children’s Hospital after the 1st quarter.

Yeah, I debated cutting off somewhere in the middle of summer, but figured someone would complain.

2 Likes

I can agree with that for the weekend and keep the rest of my Iowa pride at home I suppose.

I live on the far east side of Madison so the Oaks in Cottage Grove is relatively close by. Put on a few layers and got out this past Sunday for what is likely the last time this season. Crazy considering we had snow on the ground recently. Ops guy said they had nearly 100 people on the tee sheet. Cheers to the fellow die-hards.

1 Like

Absolutely! The more the merrier.

Yeah, I only responded to the first couple of months of dates.

I did put in the comments on the survey that I think the first weekend in May (same as Detroit) will be the Fried Egg Steamshovel event at Lawsonia.

It hasn’t been officially announced, but back when the Detroit thread first started AJ mentioned they were considering the first or third weekends of May. Then when he was doing an instagram story on his way back from Landmand, he mentioned the first weekend. So again, nothing formal, but sounds like a pretty good chance the first weekend will be the event.

To be clear (to everyone), I’m not looking to get a date set in stone right away here, just trying to get an idea whether there’s interest (seems to be) and when we can get a decent size group together. No weekend is going to work for everyone.

I’m not opposed to doubling up by having a Refuge meet up at the Steamshovel event and then another one at some other point in the year (whether at Lawsonia or somewhere else).

We could have a Wisconsin/Illinois challenge in the Dells or Lake Geneva, since they’re all too familiar with those two locations in our state… (I’m getting ahead of myself a bit)

2 Likes

I played on Sunday at The Oaks as well. Walked the first 9 holes. I probably saw you out there…

It’s all about condensing the time until we play in the Spring!

1 Like

Jumping in to track this discussion. In town Madison golfer and definitely interested in a Lawsonia meetup. Played it once and really enjoyed it. Hope we can make something work and connect with some fellow NLU fans in the area.