Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

Didn’t we all, didn’t we all.

Also. @scottmcconnell37 glad Chris or maybe you got the sign up handled. Glad to have you onboard!

3 Likes

Looks like the Black Friday deal for rounds at Lawsonia that was mentioned previously is live.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Was able to snag one

1 Like

Grabbed 2 of these bad boys.

1 Like

FYI - for those in the Milwaukee area we are creating a more specific Chicagoland chapter for RACDG. Would be happy to have you all join since it is quite easy to plan meetups between the two cities.

2 Likes

Alright fine, JuhBors, you’ve talked me into all of this. But you assholes better make your way up to us a few times.

5 Likes

Hey y’all,

Recently got invited on a golf trip in 2021 to Geneva National. Just wanted to see if y’all had any feedback on it. Don’t know pricing and all that yet, but hoping I can make it up there.

If there are any good courses off of the resort drop some recommendations!

Without being sure of many details, I have some suggestions though might not be something that works based on whatever time you have available. There is also the fact that I really don’t think that places like GN are worth a special trip, so take what I say with that in mind.

If you have the time, drive the hour almost due north and play Lac La Belle, which was recently completely renovated and will only get better with age. If it’s in the budget, going a little further north you can get Erin Hills in, as well.

If you have to stay closer, going over to Grand Geneva for their 2 courses (Brute and Highlands) isn’t a bad idea. Hawks view is always an option in the area if budget is something that is of concern. If somebody has a club connection who is willing to make a call, hitting up Lake Geneva CC makes for a fun day.

If I was coming from LA (going off of your profile), I would much rather go play a bunch of golf in the Wisconsin Dells, Green Lake (Lawsonia and Mascoutin), Sand Valley, etc. but, as I said, I really don’t like the GN courses or conditioning.

7 Likes

2 Likes

And this is why I dropped in this thread.

Thanks for the feedback. This below sea level boy is excited to see something different.

1 Like

Preface: I don’t give a damn about rankings

With that said, how do we feel about The Bull in the top 10?

While GN has 3 courses and a hotel right there, it’s $100 or so for 18 depending on time of year and time of week, and I just don’t see them worth that, which I why I say what I do. They are fine, but they aren’t worth making a trip from LA for like so many courses in the rest of the state could be. They see a TON of play, which means they are always a little more wet and slow than what you would hope for, even in the middle of summer.

I don’t know what kind of golf was planned on being played, so some of what I said is also predicated on the fact that you might want to play more than 18 a day, which is possible at GN, but really only works for a couple of days. Not sure how set in stone the group is about going there, but if you wanted to look into somewhere like Green Lake, WI you might get more bang for the buck, as well. Lawsonia (Links and Woodlands) has an all day rate which includes a cart. Just down the road from there is Mascoutin, which has 27 holes and can be a fun all day adventure. From Green Lake, you’re about an hour (give or take about 15 minutes) from all kinds of amazing golf in WI, being Kohler, Erin Hills, Lac La Belle, Sand Valley, and the many, many courses (public and private) that Madison and Milwaukee have to offer.

I think making it into a full blown adventure of all the golf that Wisconsin has to offer might be worth exploring, especially if you are going to be playing more than 18 a day, but also understand if the budget doesn’t allow for it. It can be made even better if you rent a big house for the group and use it as kind of home base, so to speak. This can also be done in Lake Geneva, of course.

3 Likes

I know 2 of the people who are “expert raters”, so nothing here shocks me in the least. There are, without question, better courses in the state than The Bull. Even more so if you include the private golf as they have.

1 Like

Interesting that a “top 10” course in the state has struggled to stay afloat…

1 Like

Seriously, over the Irish Course? And about 6 private courses I can think of off the top of my head? @midwestgolfbum Minocqua CC getting no love here at all

2 Likes

Hell, I can think of several PUBLIC courses that I would put above that place. That list just helps me solidify why I never take these kinds of lists seriously.

1 Like

Troy Burne, U Ridge, Washington County, Meadow Valleys, The Bog (although I don’t dig it), Lac La Belle… tough look.

2 Likes

Thornberry Creek, Sentry World, Hawks (technically)…

100% agree on The Bog, but doesn’t mean it isn’t a better course.

Now, should we do the, oh, 10 or so privates that come to mind right away?

I am on record as being a major Bull hater. I like the first few holes and then I basically have zero fun the rest of the round. It’s difficult in all the wrong ways.

Bishops, Maple Bluff, B’Hawk, North Hills, Chenequa of ones I’ve played that I can think of, North Shore, Minocqua, Green Bay… that’s 8 to start.