Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

How under grown are we talkin’ at LLB? Slated to play it next Wednesday.

I’ll let @d_wrek speak here. My understanding is that you won’t be disappointed playing it, but will realize it isn’t at 100% yet.

1 Like

Might see you there - playing at 10:12am next Wednesday.

1 Like

@chrisisoutrunning @jpcronin When I played it last weekend:

• Greens were in pretty good shape, but sandy and running pretty slow; the starter estimated about 7.5 or 8 on the stimp. The greens are pretty severely undulating, so this wasn’t always a bad thing, but yeah, definitely on the slow side. Don’t get freaked out by the practice green…that was running SUPER slow.

• Tee boxes were pretty burned out, but it didn’t impact anything other than one tee box that randomly had rough-length grass

• Fairways were mostly pretty good. There were some spots that were super tight or a bit scruffy, but overall no major problems.

So basically, I really enjoyed it in spite of the not perfect conditioning. I would imagine it would be incrementally better when you play, not worse.

2 Likes

A federal bankruptcy judge has approved the sale of The Bull at Pinehurst Farms golf course for nearly $2.48 million.

The buyer is listed in court records as Bull Golf at Pinehurst Farms LLC, which is registered to John Dunfee of Cedarburg. Dunfee is the chief financial officer of LaBudde Group Inc. , a Cedarburg based company that manufacturers and trades products used in the pet food industry.

Wisconsin.golf reported in June that Dunfee and Randy Groth, CEO of LaBudde, planned to work to get the course staffed and reopened some time in July.

The course, designed by Jack Nicklaus and located in Sheboygan Falls, filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this year. At the time, it had around $5.8 million in liabilities including nearly $4 million with Wisconsin Bank & Trust.

The bank agreed to the sale and would receive around $2.3 million in proceeds from the deal.

The Bull had seen a decline in business in recent years with gross revenues dropping from nearly $2.7 million in 2017 to $2.6 million in 2018 and $2.2 million last year. It also experienced financial problems in 2011.

Prior to the bankruptcy filing, Wisconsin Bank and Trust had foreclosed on the property. The course was set to be sold via a sheriff’s auction before the filing.

A buyer willing to pay $2.2 million for the course did emerge during the bankruptcy process but backed out of the deal during due diligence.

Hi everyone. Searched the thread and maybe I missed it but looking for some courses to play near Milwaukee to play. I think I’m going to head over to Erin Hills for one of my rounds. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Washington County is always a popular answer around here.

1 Like

Yep, Washington County and I would also suggest Lac La Belle.

2 Likes

@Will.Jush Between you guys, is Erin Hills worth the hype and the $$$? Also, thank you! I will for sure check those out!

If you’re a Bag Tag Barry, yeah it’s worth it. It’s worth playing at least once.

I’d rather play elsewhere for cheaper, but if you’re in the area as a one-off, go play it.

2 Likes

@PTM pretty much hits it on the head.

It’s a great course. I played it on Memorial Day. Conditions were great, company was great (two other Refugees), and I played like shit. Was it worth $210. Definitely. Would I pay $320 to play it… maybe… but my financial position could be vastly different than yours.

I think most of us would rather play 36 at Sand Valley or Lawsonia for the money, but I could be off there. (SV would be a bit more expensive, Lawsonia would be half the price)

4 Likes

Sounds like I might just hold off and do it during non peak time! I am going to be up there on the 16th and 17th of July if there are two people interested in playing near Milwaukee! Me and my dad will be playing.

I agree with what the others said. I’m glad I played it, but I wouldn’t spend what they’re charging now to play it again.

1 Like

Last thing to add, they keep the place in incredible shape. Going at the beginning or end of the season shouldn’t be a concern outside of possible weather issues. (See DJ’s Crash Course.)

2 Likes

I had the opportunity to play it for free so I can’t speak on the value of the course. I also do not play a lot of big name courses so it was a very rare occasion for me. I think just based on price, Washington county and lawsonia are great value and are well worth the money.

1 Like

I definitely think you should head up to Lawsonia. I played there today and was able to play in 3 hours. The course was in great shape

3 Likes

The guis pretty much have it covered with Erin, Lawsonia, Washington, and Lac La Belle. I would like to add Eagle Springs in there as well.

1 Like

You might consider holding off on EH for a bit. They are in the middle of transitioning their fairways to a different type of grass. Not sure if they are dropping their rates to reflect the “sub par” conditions.

Also, I played Lac La Belle yesterday. Nothing more to be said about its early growth conditions, BUT that place is going to be exceptional. From the clubhouse/bar, course design and green complexes. I’m stoked to have another great option in WI.

I think the addition of LLB will only enhance the experience for those visiting EH. I believe we will start to see those two courses paired together on many golf trips.

5 Likes

I was just informed that “we” planned a family trip for the better half’s side of the family. We are going to be staying in Green Lake and there was talk of golf. It’s currently sounding like 3 of the 8 don’t want to or just won’t play Lawsonia with another 3 being whatever on it. Some is due to cost, which I find hilarious, some is because they just aren’t good at golf. Do I have any other options but to play Tuscumbia if I want to keep things happier by playing with the group?

Since most sleep in, I plan to go get a VERY early morning round in at LL one of the days, but have to be very quiet about that move for now.

1 Like

Whereas, I would basically say, screw all you, I know more about this than you do. If you want to play a cheap round, fine, but I’ll be over here the rest of the time.

3 Likes