Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

Yep! You? Me and 3 buddies are all coming to play. So excited.

I will see you there!

Canā€™t wait!

Hi All,

Iā€™m visiting from TN next week to play Whistling (predictable, I know). Anyways, Weā€™re driving from Milwuakee to Kohler on Thursday with most of the day free.

Any course suggestions to hit up on the way? Flexible on timing so open to veering off-course a bit if thereā€™s something worth the while.

You said youā€™re flexible soā€¦ Erin Hills would be my suggestion.

6 Likes

Erin Hills or Lawsonia are the answer.

2 Likes

Hi there,

First time playing in Wisconsin/Michigan area. Trip is solo and I live in SF Bay Area. Hope to get wisdom from those in the know about my planned itinerary.

A few notes: I donā€™t want to have too many 36 hole days, but the occasional one is fine. Non-negotiable is 36 at Lawsonia. Thatā€™s tops on the list. Second is Arcadia Bluffs South (based on the Fried Egg review). The rest could be substituted, although I think a 2-3 day stay in Grand Rapids is strongly preferred.

Biggest itinerary regrets: not managing to play The Loop. Not visiting the Mackenzie course at UMich (love Pasatiempo). I donā€™t think Iā€™m regretting the omission of Erin Hills or Kohler properties, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Thurs: arrive ORD, stay the evening in Milwaukee
Fri: to Lawsonia. Play Links.
Sat: Lawsonia Links again. Drive to Wisconsin Dells.
Sun: play Wild Rock. Drive to Madison

Mon-Fri: Madison (work)

Fri: depart late afternoon to Sand Valley.
Sat: play both Sand Valley and Mammoth (36 holes).
Sun: play Sandbox; depart @ 11 am to Manitowoc ferry (2.5 hrs). Ferry departs @ 2 pm.
Mon: Arcadia Bluffs. Play South Course. Preferably 36 if possible. Drive down to Grand Rapids.
Tues: Pilgrimā€™s Run
Wed: Diamonds Springs. Add Mines if feeling spry.
Thurs: drive to Stoatin Brae, play 18, then head to Chicago
Fri: w/ friends in Chicago
Sat: depart

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on the golf! Food venue suggestions are also greatly welcome.

I canā€™t speak to the Michigan side of things. Only general ā€œissueā€ I have with your schedule would be that Iā€™d recommend University Ridge over Wild Rock since youā€™re coming down to Madison.

What type of work is bringing you to Madison?

7 Likes

Why not Erin Hills over Wild Rock? If youā€™re coming from Lawsonia to Madison. EH is not totally out of the way.

I may be biased, but Erin Hills is a canā€™t miss course in my mind. Whistling is a different story and that can be skipped in my opinion

7 Likes

Thanks for the replies! Iā€™ll be attending a conference. University Ridge looks interesting. Iā€™ll try to sneak out during the work week for a late afternoon round, so I now get a bonus round in.

Is Wild Rock a poor choice? Hurdzan/Fry, just like Erin Hills. It looks a bit more understated but somewhat sporty.

My impression of EH is that itā€™s pretty hard if youā€™re not an excellent golfer. Hopefully I can play to a 9 or 10 by then (typical summer handicap), so I was thinking it would be too hard to be fun for me. Do you think Iā€™ve got it wrong? I could fit it in by going to EH first, then pushing the two Lawsonia rounds back, and skipping Wild Rock.

Are the courses at Sand Valley a must play?

Maybe Iā€™ll cross-post to the Michigan board for their take on the latter part of my trip.

Yes.

Iā€™m a 9 and EH isnā€™t too hard. Donā€™t get me wrong it is fucking hard but if you play well youā€™ll break 90. Lawsonia Links and Sand Valley are also hard. Different kinds of hard but if the wind is tame and youā€™re golfing it you can make lots of pars at EH!

1 Like

Thurs: Arrived at ORD, stay the evening in Milwaukee. Eat Real Chili.
Fri: play Erin Hills. Drive to Green Lake, get the fish fry at Tuscumbia Country Club.
Sat: All- day pass at Lawsonia, play links twice for $125. Drive to Madison.
Sun: Play URidge and explore Madison.

3 Likes

Agreed with those above. EH is a must play if you can. I also really enjoyed Wild Rock so Iā€™d keep it in but if you had to choose between the two, go to EH. So on Friday, Iā€™d say try and play EH and then do the 36 hole deal at Lawsonia on Saturday.

Yes, please keep SV, just an awesome time! You wonā€™t regret going.

As far as Michigan goes, you can also play American Dunes, if you like Nicklausā€™ courses. Itā€™s about 45 mins west of GR.

If youā€™re dead set on Stoatin Brae, keep it but I can also recommend The Warren Course at Notre Dame (yes, Iā€™m biased but itā€™s still a Coore/Crenshaw) and shouldnt be a huge detour when driving from GR to Chi.

Otherwise, thatā€™s a sick itinerary man! Hope you have a blast!

No, not a poor choice at all, I just prefer URidge, and I think most here feel the same way.

I work about three miles from URidge, depending on the day of the week you get your bonus round in, I may be available to sherpa.

2 Likes

OK, Erin Hills is in, Wild Rock is out. I appreciate everybody talking me off of (or onto?) the ledge.

Iā€™m not dead set on Stoatin Brae, though it looks like fun ā€“ am I mistaken there? But The Warren Course wasnā€™t anywhere on my radar and looks pretty interesting too. My next door neighbor is a ND alum so it would be kinda fun to go check out the campus and surrounding town as well. It might be move-in week, though, so it may not be the easiest time to be there. Iā€™ll have to take a closer look at their calendar.

@chrisisoutrunning Thatā€™s very generous of you. Once I have a better idea of the conference schedule I can probably take a stab at which afternoon will be good to skip out. Iā€™ll hit you up to see if you might be free.

1 Like

Iā€™m an 18 and Erin Hills is my favorite course. Youā€™ll be challenged for sure but it shouldnā€™t ruin your day.

1 Like

Some of my favorite memories at EH:

• First year I played it in May. Snowed our first day. I shot 107 as like a 13 or something. Dejected. Had a BIG night on property. Absolute blast. Woke up the morning a bit foggy, had a bloody mary, fired an 85. 22 stroke swing on the same course ā€“ golf is the best!

• My first few trips were all in May. Cold, windy. I played 10 into the wind. It was like a par 6 for me. Played it in June and a different wind, didnā€™t realize thereā€™s a massive speed slot in the right side of the fairway. easy par.

2 Likes

I certainly wouldnā€™t argue against trying to fit in Erin Hills.

But, to say itā€™s not out of way going from Lawsonia to Madison is kind of crazy.

Itā€™s a much better fit on the way to Lawsonia at the beginning of the trip.

I canā€™t speak to the Michigan side of things (yet), but Iā€™m going over to do a light version of the tourist sauce trip in mid-July.

If you play the right set of tees at Erin Hills itā€™s a totally manageable course. Iā€™ve played both wild rock and Erin hills and If you gave me 5 rounds Iā€™d play 4 at EH and 1 at wild rock. There are some unforgettable shots at EH, and it outclasses WR without a doubt.

2 Likes

Well, mine include @chrisisoutrunning proving meeting refugees isnā€™t as crazy as my wife thought and nuking a 3 wood onto 18.

5 Likes