Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

Congrats! I’d like to think it all started with that 67 you blitzed me with in the Match Play out at Lake Windsor. Caution… John can play!

1 Like

I’ll be heading to Milwaukee for the weekend and am looking to get a dew-sweeper round in Saturday morning - any recommendations for a last minute booking? Currently looking at Whitnall GC and Currie Park GC.

Whitnall is probably a bit better than Currie. Both are pretty average. If you’re able to drive a bit longer, Washington County, Spring Valley, Morningstar, and Eagle Springs are better options. Milwaukee County courses, in my opinion, are all pretty meh outside of Brown Deer which is overpriced but the best course in the system.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, Yak. In a shocking turn of events my girlfriend is interested in playing at 7:04 am so a par 3 is more her speed. We decided on the Hansen par 3 - a cool five minutes from the hotel. Any must-visit food options in the area? In town for the weekend to see Hamilton!

Eddie Martini’s is right in that area.

Bartolotta as well. Jose’s for decent upscale Mexican.

Real Chili is a short drive, but the best overall option. Maybe after Hamilton.

3 Likes

Get yourself a reservation at Movida or Braise downtown. Can’t beat the small plate menus.

1 Like

Downtown Tosa is a great area. The area right around Cafe Hollander and Bucktabon is a cool place to walk around, grab a beer, and have a nice casual dinner. Bartolottas is a bit fancier. If you’re looking to go downtown Milwaukee instead, the recommendations above are good as well.

1 Like

As far as county courses go, Oakwood and Dretzka are both better than Whitnall or Currie. Village area of Tosa, as mentioned above, has lots of good casual food options.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a club fitting in Madison or Milwaukee (or elsewhere for that matter)?

It could have just been my fitter but I don’t recommend club champion in Brookfield.

2 Likes

Went to Ironworks Golf Lab in Beloit this summer for some irons. Just got everything in (thanks to some supply chain delays). Haven’t hit them yet, but they seemed knowledgeable.

2 Likes

Got out and played Lac La Belle today.

8 Likes

Thoughts?

It was a fun course, feels a bit over priced and some of the greens were not in great condition. We had a good time though and I can see the course getting better over the next few years but I’m not sure it will be worth what they are charging.

5 Likes

seems about right for them. I know greens have had some issues with the temps bouncing up and down the last few weeks, but I’m still surprised they charge as much as they do given their conditioning hasn’t caught up to what they’ve been promoting since they re-opened

just kind of stinks because I think most of the people who have played think it will be really good too

2 Likes

It looks like they aerated from the pictures. There’s no excuse if the course is in bad shape from anything besides aeration. The Legends, down the road, is still in perfect shape, as well as other courses in the area. I know they have had conditioning issues before the reno but you would think after pumping 7 million into the course and charging what they charge, things would be good.

1 Like

Got over to Glenway a couple of weeks ago to see how the Michael Keiser funded updates are coming. Still a bit hard to see the end product, but if you compare it to any satellite imaging, you can quickly see the differences.

8 Likes

Not a golf question but going to be in Madison for the Iowa-Wisconsin game next week. Not going to the game but looking for any suggestions/recommendations for a spot to watch the game. Never been up there for a game day so any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Any bar with a TV is going to have the game on, but if you’re looking for some gameday atmosphere there are a bunch of bars near the stadium you could camp out at and get the experience. Historically, they’ll be packed until right around kick off and then after the game if the weather is decent. (I have no idea what things are exactly like down there this year.)

What part of Madison are you going to be in? Are you looking for somewhere with a bunch of people or somewhere relaxed where you can have a beer, some cheese curds, and watch the game?

Were meeting one of my wife’s friends tailgating on Regent and then supposed to go somewhere else to watch the game. Personal preference is somewhere relaxed but since I’m going with the crowd, so I may not have too big of sway. I love Great Dane but I feel like everybody else does too, I mean there are plenty of neighborhood bars I was just hoping to narrow it down.