Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

Man 15 days since you guys last post. Seems like i need to stir things up a bit.

You all should make the drive over for this. Yours own @charvey from Hudson will be there, show some support for your Wisconsites.

2 Likes

I have been thinking about a Top 20 list of golf courses in wisconsin, here is my list: Interested to hear your thoughts

1. Whistling Straits (Straits)
  2. Erin Hills
  3. Blackwolf Run (River)
  4. Milwaukee CC: Home of the State Am this year
  5. Sand Valley
  6. Mammoth Dunes
  7. Whistling Straits (Irish)
  8. Blue Mound CC
  9. Sentry World
  10. Lawsonia Links
  11. Strawberry Creek
  12. Troy Burne
  13. Pine Hills CC
  14. Blackwolf Run (MV)
  15. University Ridge
  16. Wild Rock
  17. Green Bay CC
  18. Horseshoe Bay
  19. Minocqua CC
  20. Hidden Glen

Thoughts?

1 Like

Iā€™ve only played 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 15, and 16 on that list, so I canā€™t go spot by spot.

SentryWorld is too high in my opinion. Itā€™s well conditioned and has a par 3 with a shit ton of flowers. Beyond that there is very little memorable about it. It would be below URidge and Wild Rock in my list.

Itā€™s been eight years, so time may have faded my memory, but the Irish is definitely a step down from SV/MD, so I would expect Bluemound and Lawsonia, at least, to be above the Irish.

Straits/EH is likely going to be a pick 'em for everyone (though as can be seen, Iā€™ve played neither, just walked them).

And Iā€™d have the Sandbox on the list. Fight me.

Not sure if anyone is interested in the Sand Valley Summer Solstice (I played in 2018), but I received this email today:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the 4th Annual Summer Solstice at Sand Valley . This event gives you the opportunity to play 72 holes in a single day. This event is unique in nature and is circled on many of your calendars so we look forward to seeing you at Sand Valley June 14th-16th, 2020 for our most anticipated Sand Valley Summer Solstice to date.

You are being contacted because you are currently on our Solstice waitlist, have previously expressed interest in playing or have played in past Solstice events. Your continued interest in the Sand Valley Summer Solstice allows us the opportunity to invite you and three others to join us in 2020. Due to the increased interest in this event, all interested parties must call the 1-800 number listed below to sign up. Please remember, spots are very limited.

The event is $1,341.48 per person (traditional double occupancy). Deposit in the full amount is due at the time of registration and the reservation must be made directly by you as the team leader. All cancellations must occur prior to 90-days before the start of the event and should be done by contacting our Reservations Team at the 1-800 number below. Single occupancy rooms & cottage upgrades are available for an additional amount.

This is your opportunity to officially sign up for the event prior to our full announcement. Your foursome is guaranteed as long as long as space is available and payment is submitted at the time of inquiry.

4th Annual Sand Valley Summer Solstice

June 14th ā€“ 16th, 2020

$1,341.48 per person (double occupancy)

$1,681.98 per person (single occupancy)

To sign up, please contact Reservations at 1-833-903-1859

When I did it, the price was more along the lines of $8-900 (I think). It jumped up last year to right about this price, which I couldnā€™t justify. It might be something Iā€™d look at doing again after Doakā€™s course opens, but not this year.

Of what Iā€™ve played, hereā€™s what Iā€™d say:

1. Erin Hills
  2. Whistling Straits (Straits)
  3. Blackwolf Run (River)
  4. Mammoth Dunes
  5. Sand Valley
  6. Blue Mound CC
  7. Lawsonia Links
  8. Troy Burne
  9. University Ridge
  10. Whistling Straits (Irish)
  11. Maple Bluff CC
  12. North Hills CC
  13. Bishopā€™s Bay CC
  14. The Bull (RIP?)
  15. Blackwolf Run (MV)
  16. Timber Ridge

Playing Pine Hills this year, interested to see it.

Many others not worth ranking. Including SentryWorld.

Pine Hills is a hidden gem in the shadow of all the Kohler courses but is a cool test. Played it a couple of times you will enjoy it

Iā€™m super excited for it. Was going to play it after @thefriedegg Steamshovel event last year but played BMCC instead, so this year going play it the day before. As luck would have it, Andy worked some magic and got some times for participants. Highly recommend the event if you havenā€™t already signed up.

Tough seeing The Bull circling the drain. Not saying itā€™s worthy of all the accolades possessed by itā€™s neighbors, but it is a rock solid course. Would be a significant loss.

Solid overall list of contenders. Been lucky to play several but hereā€™s to making more progress in 2020. Is it May yet?

Do we have any news of the result of the Sheriffā€™s sale for The Bull? Is it dead?

Not dead, yet.

Great list. I have played 8 of the 20. Still not a fan of Troy Burne. Sentry World was fun to play once. Two courses I have always like playing when I was living in Wisconsin were Washington County and The Bog.

Nice lists! The top of mine is pretty similar but I counted down only the courses I played in 2019. Pictures can be found on my IG @golfwisely

1. Erin Hills
  2. Whistling Straits (Straits)
  3. Sand Valley
  4. Whistling Straits (Irish)
  5. Lawsonia Links
  6. Wild Rock
  7. University Ridge
  8. Trappers Turn
  9. Hawks Landing
  10. Viroqua Hills

I have SentryWorld, Mammoth, Blackwolf Run Meadows on my list for 2020. Might need to add Pine Hills.

1 Like

Dropped you a follow on IG. Nice pics!

1 Like

Veering off the courses theme briefly, can we discuss ā€œcompetitiveā€ golf and tournaments?

My golf resolution last year was to play in one competitive event. Iā€™d say mission accomplished - I did the Golfweek Am Tour team event at The Bull, the Public Links in Madison, and Kohlerā€™s Fall Challenge.

I will have some more free time this summer and would like to play in a few more events. Curious as to what you all would recommend. I will probably pass on doing the Golfweek thing again and instead opt for the WSGA.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I have a similar resolution (although I only played in really local events last year).

This year Iā€™m leaning towards entering the WSGA Match Play qualifier (hello Lawsonia), and the Mid-Am (Wild Rock). Sign ups are in a couple of weeks, so itā€™s not 100% nailed down yet though.

1 Like

I played in the Public Links too. It was my first competitive play in five years. Yaharaā€™s greens were in great condition, the supers and green staff did a great job.

This summer I hope to play a bit more competitively, but my soon-to-be-married friends are making that a bit difficult (a good problem to have, for sure). Just some of the qualifiers, and hopefully the Madison pub links.

Keep us posted on the sign up for the Madison Public Links competition. I was mad I missed it last year.

For sure. It was a great laid back tournament (definitely a lowercase ā€œtā€).

I know the Madison city courses get knocked for slow play and (some) uninspired design, but Iā€™ve found the community of golfers to be top notch.

I swore off Yahara the summer-before-last due to the conditions there being horrendous at times. Went back a few times and for the pub links. Pains me to say it, but the greens this past year were some of the best I played all summer.