Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

There is nothing fun about an hour and 15 minutes of two lane Wisconsin highway.

I really enjoy playing the Lake Arrowhead courses (Pines for sure) complimentary to my visits to Sand Valley. It’s a tremendous value and a great way to add another 18 holes to the itinerary.

1 Like

Damnit now I’m hungry :joy:

I’ve spoken with our group and everyone wants to stay at lawsonia for pretty much the exact reason you described. We’ll likely get 3 rounds in between Thursday and Friday and then head over to sand valley and play the sandbox Friday night. We’ve all watched the fried egg sandbox video now and I want to give that course my full attention rather than tack it on after 36 on Saturday (which we will also do, but it will be nice to see it once after only 18 holes beforehand)

1 Like

Has anyone ever played Wild Rock? Thinking about going a bit out of my way to play it on my summer golf trip. Other options would be Northern Bay or Lawsonia’s Woodlands Course.

Here is the current plan which is a road trip from Chicago:
Friday: Shepherd’s Crook (IL)
Saturday: Lawsonia Links (36)
Sunday: Sandbox, Wild Rock
Monday: Eagle Springs

My friends won’t pony up for Mammoth Dunes.

I haven’t played Wild Rock but I have friends who said it was great.

1 Like

It looks really solid, their website is great too.

I’ve played it a couple times in the past ten years, good course, obviously not SV/MD level.

I’m confused though, they’re willing to drive up to SV just to play The Sandbox? Have they been there before? As much as I love The Sandbox, I don’t think I would drive there from Lawsonia just to play that on the way to Wild Rock. I’d just save it for a trip where you can play all three (soon to be four) courses.

2 Likes

Played Wild Rock once on our way to the US Open at Erin Hills. It was nice. Not as dramatic or memorable as SV or Lawsonia, but a good course. I do remember a couple of fairly blah holes, but considering the location for the course was dictated by the presence of the resort and not the other way around its probably a pretty good effort.

Yes they are willing to play just the Sandbox. It’s going to be a long day, but I don’t think they are too turned off by driving, just by a $225 green fee.

Also we are driving back to Green Lake after Wild Rock lol

Lawsonia, to the Dells, to Sand Valley, and then back to Lawsonia is like 3:18 worth of drive time???

Your friends clearly don’t value their time enough if they’re willing to go through all of that, instead of playing Mammoth…
Also the Sandbox is fun, but not that fun.

1 Like

You make valid points

I love The Sandbox and would be in heaven if it was somewhere I could play it every day, but yeah, driving from Lawsonia to Sand Valley to the Dells and back to Lawsonia is… pretty close to stupid in my book.

Are you spending all three nights in Green Lake? In my opinion, either go to Sand Valley or the Dells on Sunday, not both. Wild Rock and Trappers Turn would make a good enough day at a cheaper price than MD and SB.

2 Likes

Wild Rock + Sandbox has to be close to $180ish? Not to mention all of the wasted time (time is $$) driving around central Wisconsin. Pay the extra $45-$50, hell even $75, to enjoy Mammoth Dunes and the property at Sand Valley all day. Sandbox is fun, but Mammoth is unforgettable. $1.50 pulled pork tacos at Craig’s Porch! Are you kidding me!?

1 Like

Supposedly we have a free place to stay in Green Lake. I’ll talk it over with them.

If I can get them to Sand Valley to play Mammoth, hell I’ll play Sand box myself while they drink.

1 Like

If they sit around drinking while you play The Sandbox by yourself… well I could say things about them, but what is that going to get me… Let’s just say they’ll miss out on the most fun round of golf you’re going to have on that trip. Late afternoon out there with a beer in hand is (my) heaven.

1 Like

Don’t worry they won’t be able to resist haha

Ok I think we shaved off Friday’s round. Lawsonia, MD, Sandbox, and Eagle Springs is the plan.

1 Like

source
@chockfullofthat

1 Like

We did this together.

1 Like