Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

I totally agree for the Strapped series, college events there in the fall are always rough. I’d love to see where Young Neil hits it off the tee with wind up.

1 Like

Budget is less of a concern, but I’m guessing Kohler will be out. Looking more to anchor down in one spot for a day or two.

Currently thinking Lawsonia Thursday (18) & Friday (36), Sand Valley (36 & Sandbox) Saturday and maybe Hawk’s View on the way home Sunday.

3 Likes

You could toss in Mascoutin when you’re by Lawsonia too, and/or Lake Arrowhead when you’re by Sand Valley (if you’re looking to diversify). You’d want to play Mascoutin before playing Lawsonia, otherwise it will feel like a bit of a letdown.

Kohler’s planned third course won their supreme court case to annex the land into the City of Sheboygan. Only remaining hurdle is Friends of Black River Forest, who is hilariously funded by Patagonia

With the passing of Pete Dye, I wonder if Kohl looks at a different designer. There’s a concept plan out there, but I would love to see a midwest Gil Hanse design. Unlikely to happen though given the history between Kohl & Dye Designs.

1 Like

Have to think they probably ask PB/Perry Dye or Pete’s right hand man Chris Lutzke. Doak took himself out of the running to build Sedge Valley. If they go outside of the Dye family and his most recent crew, it would make sense to look at his other disciples such as Bill Coore (who likely won’t do it because of Sand Valley), Bobby Weed, or Tim Liddy. My gut feeling tells me it will either be PB or Perry Dye or Lutzke. I’m not a big fan of PB or Perry’s work and would like to see Lutzke get a chance to breakthrough in the design business. I would be shocked if Herb hired somebody without a deep connection to Dye due to the loyalty and history between the families. One thing I found interesting is how they intend it to be a “minimalist” design, as Pete’s work was generally on the other end of the spectrum. Now let’s just hope it can be built in the first place.

Has there been any update to Sedge Valley? Researched it a bit yesterday and couldn’t find any news on the development.

Yes, they started clearing out trees and flipping sand last September. They plan to start shaping in April. They are hoping to have nine holes open in fall of 2021 and the full course open in summer 2022. Here’s the initial routing plan for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

3 Likes

That’s going to be an interesting walk.

Lots of downhill tee shots.

Love shared tee boxes, hope 3/16 are going that way

Dual fairway on 17 looks sick. Go right, clear the top and you may be able to ride the slope down to the green. Safety play out to the left otherwise.

1 Like

Wait you have Westmoor ahead of Bluemound?? Why?

1 Like

I’ve played both courses many times. I think that blue mound has its popularity because of its greens. the course is not very visually appealing to me and I feel like it gets a little old. I think that westmoor is a much harder course. it requires a lot of different shots and in the heart of summer, the greens have rolled at like 13. I haven’t played blue mound in about 4 years though so maybe its worth a visit soon to “Re-evaluate”

Ive heard something about a Milwaukee meet up in May, and I was wondering if there was still room to sign up for that. Im a newb at the Refuge so im just trying to get my footing around here.

Thanks

I honestly didn’t realize the Brown Deer meetup was in May, but yeah, there’s that!

At some point when the snow melts, I’m going to take a couple Mondays off and get out to Lawsonia and somewhere else. Once I have a better idea as to when/where, I’ll throw it up here in case anyone has a semi-flexible work schedule and wants to get together for a round.

4 Likes

Scheduled a trip to Sand Valley Memorial Day Weekend. There are worse reasons to miss the meetup, but still a little bummed.

Does anybody know if we can yet/how to sign up for the meet up in May?

Nothing yet. They said its just a big slot of tee times and we sign up closer to that date. The meetups are way more casual than the others. Details to come when it gets closer.

As a comparison, for the Rustic Canyon event, the email with info went out on January 21st for a February 10th event (so basically three weeks notice).

I would imagine we’d get something with a little more lead than that, but I wouldn’t expect anything to go out until early April. All we can really do at this point is clear our schedules for the day.

2 Likes

I’m down for a Monday round here and there. I’ll look for your posts.

2 Likes

I’m getting really tired of the snow in central WI… how far south do I have to drive to find an open course?

Too far…

Open. Maybe southern Illinois/Indiana or into Kentucky.

Decent conditions. May as well fly to a coast or the deep south.

I mean, the weather looks like it could be good next week, maybe the driving range will be open? haha