Roll Call: Virginia

Wahoo living just east of Charlottesville near Spring Creek. I play throughout central Virginia and across the Commonwealth, with no home club as of now; favorite in-state courses are The Cascades Course at The Homestead, Farmington, Princess Anne Country Club, and Keswick.

Planning to play CCV, Ballyhack, and Kinloch for the first time in 2019. Would also love to check out The Olde Farm in Bristol, but that’s going to take some work.

1 Like

I’m in DC / Arlington a fair amount for work. What’s the best bet for a morning or later afternoon round if I can carve out a few hours on some of these trips?

I know some members and live close to the club. Played it a few times and I’m fairly up to date on their recent renovations.

My friends have chosen to do just an annual membership at Independence. We like the course better even though it lacks some of the private club amenities and is farther away from us than WOCC.

My parents live on #6 at Stonewall…its a pretty solid course, but having lived in NC for the last 19 years, the price per round still is a huge shock to me when I go home to visit.

Raspberry Falls as mentioned is a cool track.

Bull Run is usually very well maintained and fun to play.

Played Potomac Shores in November and was pretty shocked by its condition…the new super out there is letting it slowly deteriorate which is unfortunate cause its a good layout.

Prince William is a sleeper muni course that is worth a look and under $60 for a morning round on the weekends…because of the price it can get a little backed up, but still worth a look I think.

The price of golf, along with everything else in NOVA is insane to me.

the olde farm in bristol just was ranked #102 in the US by Golf Digest…looks pretty cool

other VA courses to make the list:

133: Robert Trent Jones GC
140: Homestead
151: Primland
191: Ballyhack

I go to DC for work too and my advice would be to play whatever is closest to you, or whatever is on the way. Too much traffic to go anywhere more than 5 miles from where you’ll end up being for the day. As I’m sure you know!

Bummer but you’re likely correct.

I’ve debated getting out to schoolhouse 9 so I’m not afraid of a little drive

I hadn’t heard of it before your post, and I’m definitely going to stop there on my way up from NC next time!

Check out Primland. Ended up at the in-laws retirement home in southwest VA for Easter last year. Thank god Primland was only an hour away, played 36 on Easter and it was a glorious day.

Cant go wrong with Laurel Hill or Westfields. Both awesome tracks, but as is with the rest of NOVA public courses, the course conditions are going to vary with weather and tourney volume. Just praying for a drought this year. Id rather play off hard pack dirt than the muddy slop we’re dealing with lately.

I grew up playing Reston. Had a kids deals of like 300 for all you could play between Memorial Day and Labor Day

Last played there a few summers ago and you can tell the management has taken it into a $$ shop. It kind of always was… just blatant now

Hidden creek, pleasant valley, Westfield’s, Chantilly national, international cc, army navy cc (Fairfax), south riding, stonewall

All good courses in the area.

I just saw goose creek is gone. I guess for development.

Maybe we should keep this thread going through the year with conditioning updates. Will help the locals as well as out of towners looking for a quick 18.

3 Likes

Say what you will about the routing and length, herdon centennial has some of the best conditioning for a muni under $45 in the area. I dont think ive ever seen it tore up.

2 Likes

Herndon Centennial is a fun track, great walk.
Algonkian is a solid test for a muni. A little overgrown and requires some real shaping.

Has anyone signed up for any of the VSGA member days? If so, which ones?

I’m doing Viniterra

Afternoon all.

Will be in Virginia Beach from Australia for a week in mid-May to visit the wife’s family and an old school friend who lives in town, too. Would you guys have any solid Muni recommendations for me please?

Apparently my mate has an “in” to play at Leish’s course (Bayville?) but not counting on that as it looks super nice from everything i’ve seen briefly online! If I can wangle an extra golf day and my mate is at work, i’d be up for a knock with anyone that is also in the area. Would be between 9th & 15th May. Have already set-up a potential meeting with the Californian branch of the RACDG so would be good to tick off another State’s offering if there is one :slight_smile:

Hello VA boys - I am heading up to Charlottesville the weekend of April 19-21 to visit my brother at UVA. Looking to play somewhere solid on Sunday. Would appreciate any recommendations anybody has for the area.

Spring Creek isn’t too far and is 10/10. Birdwood is shut down now I believe, but if you’re going back in the future, that one is awesome. Farmington Country Club is supposed to be great, but not sure of your connections.

1 Like

Keswick a tad down 64 east is really nice

Didn’t know about birdwood being closed. That’s a bummer.

Old trail in crozet is good too

1 Like