Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

The parents are downsizing and moving to the coast.

Greetings all, been an NLU fan for awhile, just dipping in the Refuge here.

Stuck out East in Nova Scotia by COVID, season just kicking off, at a 10.2 right now, hoping to dive back into the single digits ASAP.

15 Likes

Welcome to the club. There are a few people here from the Maritimes, especially Halifax/Dartmouth I believe

2 Likes

ON folk. Two private GTA Clubs just emailed members saying the are opening tee time portals (essentially) in anticipation of reopening sooner than planned lock down.

Tee times are tentative (won’t be going full Tillsonburg) and in part was because many clubs use same booking platforms and don’t want a server crash post announcement.

1 Like

My old club did the same thing, anticipating a possible Wednesday opening. I want to hope that we’ll open this week, but I’m losing faith in the current regime doing the right thing. I haven’t heard any whispers of an opening any time soon, but I think the warm weather will reignite the pressure to open up courses again. In the past 11 days, we’ve only missed ~3 really nice golf days.

My fingers are crossed that they open up soon because this is fucking stupid, but fucking stupid is Ford’s MO.

1 Like

My club was scheduled to open tomorrow (before this lockdown), so I have been hoping anything around (or shortly after) now would be when it was overturned. With both our old ones, and other clubs, headed down this route of really getting ready, it does give me some optimism we could be playing this weekend.

Giving this another bump - anyone in ON who’s interested, hit the link and get involved! Not sure how many people have expressed interest so far - @newballcoach can likely shed some light on current numbers - but should be a fun little season-long adventure.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc5c6-9j5JwPWJvhywooigZOLvmxlKnThJdUZH0TPylzECBlQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Also a great chance to connect with some more Refugees in different regions as we play through.

4 Likes

I am hopeful we’ll end up around 20, which will ideally make it easy to create some competition.

Early bets have @bordercity as the favourite.

5 Likes

New twigs are ready for @cfrench. Dougie willing, we’ll be taking them for a spin this weekend. She might be the dark horse for Season 1 of the Duck Club Presents: Qwack Qwack, Mr. Ducksworth, The Underdog Story.

5 Likes

Score magazine has an article on my home course, Cordova Bay. I played a round with the author a couple weeks back.

(I would never refer to the course as a “27-hole” course, as the article does. There’s an 18-hole championship course and a 9-hole pitch and putt.)

9 Likes

Thanks for linking this Mark - sounds like a wonderful spot to call home. And a cursory look on Google says there’s mini golf just down the street too… the total package!

Seriously, looks like the course does a ton of cool stuff in the community aside from the golf course. Very cool!

1 Like

Very curious about the layout on #3

Also, this alone would be enough to get me to join.

5 Likes

I would love to have a pitch and putt nearby.

Cordova Bay is amazing!!! I talk about it all the time because it’s such a treat to play and they’re super committed to a great set of forward tees!

Can’t wait until travel is possible and I can play there again with @MarkInVictoria

4 Likes

The aggressive line is through the goat house.

Sadly we’re down to one goat as two have died. I don’t even know which one is left.

There also used to be a rooster (Gordie) that kind of roamed freely by the 14th tee. A fancy one, with feathered feet like this:

belgian rooster

3 Likes

Love me some fancy fowl

1 Like

The hits keep coming :frowning:

Was…was chevon on the menu in the clubhouse? This sounds like a very Silvies Valley Ranch type operation.

4 Likes

Goat caddie in the morning, goat curry in the afternoon.

7 Likes

Truly, the circle of life.

5 Likes