Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Lucky you! My parents live in Vernon so I play The Rise every summer when I’m back in ‘Napa North’. Maybe we’ll get a round in this year!

Welcome to the Nest.

1 Like

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome aboard! Played The Rise this past summer. Got to play with a couple of members which greatly improved my experience.

1 Like

For sure! I’ve played the track about 200 times so always glad to host people who want to play!

Not a Canadian but a member of a Canadian course. If anyone in the GTA down to Fort Erie ever looking for a game give me a shout.

2 Likes

Throwing this out there for the Albertans (or Alberta-adjacent) - any interest in a meet-up somewhere this summer?

1 Like

On a separate note - does anyone have experience with https://www.golfstuff.ca/?

There’s talk of an Idaho meetup (somewhat Alberta adjacent)

1 Like

Thanks - that may be a bit of a stretch for me coming from Edmonton though.

I do not, but Canadian pro shop online is a good golftown alternative.

1 Like

Another YYC native checking in. Long time listener first time on the Refuge. Played most of my golf in South Calgary, was a member for years at Shawnee Slopes growing up. Fell off the wagon for a few years at the end of high school and through university. Finally back into it over the last couple summers. Been playing random courses since I got back in the swing of things, Blue Devil, Springbank, River Spirit etc.

2 Likes

I’m planning a trip to the 2020 Canadian GP in Montréal. I pretty much know nothing about the area… are there any must play courses around?

Don’t have any course recommendations for Montreal but can point you in the right direction of some great restaurants if that’s of any interest.

1 Like

Yes please!

Depending on time and money available, an option would be to head up to Mont Tremblant. There are a half dozen or so decent courses up that way. The only course I’ve played in the Montreal area is Golf Dorval which was decent enough.

1 Like

Only course I played in the area was the Ireland course here https://www.cgimgolf.com/en/
I would recommend it for sure. Had a tonne of fun.

1 Like

Mont Tremblant looks like a good area to visit, but is a bit to much for this trip.

1 Like

Ireland course looks great. Might have to give it a visit. Thanks!

I played Club de Golf la Prairie a few years back. Memory is a little hazy but I remember it being a pretty solid track.

edit: it might have changed its name since then/might not be a golf course anymore.

1 Like

Somewhat dated list here but should point you in the right direction. Also you’ll note that several of these are in old montreal which is for a reason since it’s a must visit area of the city while you’re there.

Breakfast/brunch
L’avenue
Olive et gourmando
Le cartet
Faberge
Le Pois Penche

Smoked meat
Schwartz’s Deli

Restaurants
Garde manger - Must go (make reservations now)
Barroco
Moishes - best steakhouse in Montreal according to some
Gibbys - also great for steak but a MTL institution in a cool old school setting
HÀ Vieux-Montréal - amazing Thai food

Italian
Bevo
Bottega
Dolcetto & co

Bars
Clandestino - super cool hidden speakeasy type spo
Philemon
Maison Saint-Paul
Joverse

Clubs
Flyjin