Roll Call: Tampa Golfers

Great idea and will try to make it as well.

It’s right down the road from me, but haven’t made it yet. It’s on the list!

I’d be interested.

I’ve recently moved down to Tampa(Brandon/Valrico) for my job and can hopefully start playing more often. I’ve played at Bloomingdale a few times which I like pretty well. Any other places I should check out around here?

For anyone interested in a meetup in North Florida:

WARNING - Foreign poster to the thread here!

I’m from Chicago, but have a FIL that lives a little south in Punta Gorda. Anyways, @pinhigh27 and I are playing Streamsong on 2/9. Currently have a time @8:33 on the Black. He’s doing 36 (or will try) and I’m gonna try to do it, but not sure if I’ll be able to do ditch the family all day and do the 2nd round yet. Wondering if anyone here would like to help round out our 4some. I’ve got a contact that’s most likely going to be able to get us the Resort Guest rate, so a little off the full freight public rate. Let me know asap so I can let my guy know how many people we’re going to have.

You should see if @2down would like to join.

Have fun!

Going to be down there this weekend to check out our potential house. Won’t have time for golf but if it passes inspection we’ll be moving down there in 5 weeks.

It’s 5 minutes west of Rocky point golf course. Is it a complete dump or is it a place I can walk 9 or 18 and still have a decent time with proper expectations?
What are the best public options in Tampa? Doesn’t seem like a ton of them. Private options seem limited as well.

Hope to get to meet some of you this year!

1 Like

Welcome to Tampa! I had a meeting with Rocky Point’s GM today as a part of a Thursday night 9-hole twilight scramble we’re working on starting as a “friendraiser” for The First Tee of Tampa Bay. The First Tee is extremely well-supported and this is just initiative to facilitate networking between First Tee supporters and potential supporters.

As of now it looks like it’s a go for an early May launch. Format will be a scratch 4-man scramble. I’ll share more details as it approaches.

Rocky Point is perfectly adequate for a muni. You won’t want to play there every day and it has some holes that are downright awful. The condition is usually good enough. Greens are slow, but grass everywhere. The course is close to the water and the winds can get up, which makes for a fun challenge. It’s all you need for 9 holes in the evening though. The range is mats only on weekdays and the chipping area sucks.

The Tampa private golf scene is tough. The only two courses that aren’t intertwined with houses/stormwater ponds/swamps are Palma Ceia (3-year wait to join, no range, 5900 yards, expensive) and Old Memorial (15 miles North of downtown, expensive, but a really legit club). Some people have said good things about Buckhorn Springs out in Bloomingdale, but I haven’t made it out there.

Would love to meet up and play once you’re down full-time.

2 Likes

Oh my I just checked out the video on old memorial and it looks fantastic. Who designed it? Any idea on junior membership rates?

Got a group coming down for a bachelor party in June. Probably have 8 golfers, a couple serious, most are the couple times a year type. Any course recommendations?

Just saw this post. Steve Smyers designed it:

He lives nearby and I believe he’s a member. He plays in the member-guest, which can be funny if he’s paired with unknowing folks who make comments about the course. The place is sick, but the Bermuda keeps it from really playing that linksy.

As I understand it the Junior Memberships aren’t crazy, but there’s a big jump at 40. I’m not really sure though.

2 Likes

Where are you staying?

TBD, working on trying to find a house for 10.

Edit: Seems most of the places we’re looking at are in Seminole, Apollo Beach, a couple by the airport, and Palm Harbor. One option in Clearwater

Hey my guise! I’m heading down to Tampa in mid March for spring break. Any chance some of you guys want to grab 18 at Dunedin? Perhaps get a little game going?

If you need references then ask @tedscott or @holeout.

I’m in. Shoot me a DM.

cc: @tsweat345

I know the full membership initiation fee is kindaaaa bananas expensive, but it’s interesting to hear that there’s a junior level and that it’s not insane. I didn’t know that. But the property is really special. I mean the place is thousands of acres. The practice facilities are spread out and really impressive, if you’re into that sort of thing.

The course is quite good, too. Maybe not truly upper echelon exceptional, but it seems like it would be a really fun members’ and also match play course. And at any rate, there aren’t really truly upper echelon exceptional courses in Tampa, anyway. If I were to consider somewhere to join in Tampa, the entire process might start and end with with Old Mo (if money weren’t an issue, of course).

The time I (and some other Refugees) played there, Smyers was on the property and a few groups behind us.

The most impressive thing, though, was the club and vibe. The place rivals any 19th hole anywhere. Incredible fun place. It’s all about fun. A lot of rooms and cabins, too. A majority of the membership is east coast snow birds, I believe. In the summer, you’d have the place to yourself (not literally, of course, but it would be significantly less busy).

1 Like

cc: @tsweat345 can you share what you know about the junior membership? i didn’t know they had one either and i also thought it was invite only. any details you can share would be appreciated!

yeah idk if it’ll be in my price range at this point in my life but it looks like a fantastic place to join. We found our dream house and it was at the very top of our budget so the rest of our budget will have to be pretty tight, especially with a wedding and honeymoon next year.

@A.K.Search_Party I’m not sure what the junior membership information is either. Maybe another refugee is a member and can help us out with that? My plan this summer is to go around and try as many clubs as I can and getting pricing information from all of them and figuring out what I will need to budget for them if I decide to join one in the future.

@NoLayovers was the one who suggested that the junior membership could be reasonable. Help me @NoLayovers. You’re our only hope.