Roll Call: Sydney (#AFCNLU)

Lock it in, @Shooter.

Innes/Windy — if one of you guys is keen for the fourth spot, let me know.

Welcome @BD8. Bonnie Doon is a great club, you wouldn’t regret it. Fantastic course, great practice facilities, good membership. I joined there in 2010 and had some of my best golfing years of my life there, living 1km from the club pre-kids. I basically lived there! I couldn’t bring myself to resign when I got into NSWGC so I’ve gone non-playing. I’m hopeful there’s a way in my future I can justify both memberships.

Big upside in joining Bonnie Doon while you’re young as well as they progressively discount the joining fee heavily if you join pre-40. I joined at 27 and paid $3200 of a full joining fee of $8k. My mate joined at 24 and I think he paid $1600. Full joining fee is now $9200. I expect that will go up again once the course is complete next autumn.

Hi Folks,

@ScottW, still not 100% sure if I can make it, going to be deep in the project at that time, I’ll know by mid next week. if @WindyMiller can play, please feel free to take the spot.
Just home from Tasmania last night, what a fantastic place. I loved Barnbougle, I don’t think I’ve enjoyed golf as much as that in a long time! We arrived Wednesday night and managed to get the front 9 of the Dunes in, and then played lost farms and Dunes on Thursday in terrible weather, but still with the biggest smile on my face.
The course is set up so well for all abilities, fairways are wide and if you want to take the risk and take on flying a bunker or cutting off a bit of the corner to give yourself a better shot in then you have that option on almost every hole. I loved the par 3’s, thought they were fantastic. I’m already trying to get my next trip back sorted and take in King Island next time too!
Welcome to the Sydney page @BD8, hopefully we can get a NLU meet up sorted for us all soon.

Hey boys
On a whim I booked a week in the Brisbane area for early April - any course rec’s up that way? Keen for fun, holiday style golf; if there’s something epic in the area then I might be keen but would rather toddle round in the sun having a good time than spending four hours getting my dick punched in by something with a 140 slope.

I haven’t even sorted where we’re staying (will have the good lady with me, and this is likely to be our last holiday before #1 arrives) but probably Sunshine Coast way…thanks in advance!

Thanks guys. @ScottW I’m 30 and work freelance so have the luxury of getting out mid-week most of the time, so even the 5 day membership works which helps money-wise too. I have an introductory membership at MP at the moment which includes a lesson every month (basically paying for that in place of joining fee repayments) which is perfect for now while I’m piecing a swing back together, might get in touch with Bonnie Doon to organise a round Jan/Feb.

If you’re on the Sunshine Coast, have a look at Pelican Waters.

In Brisbane itself, Royal Queensland is comfortably the pick of it.

Couple of reasonable courses around Noosa if you end up there.

Brilliant, thanks! Will be sure you let you know where I end up.

sorry for the delay…I am afraid i am working so cant join.

How about we organise a round during the xmas holidays? Should be nice and easy to get everyone together then?

I’ll be over in Perth, taking my clubs though :+1:t2:

Nice, let us know of any good courses you play out there @BD8 , I’ll be over there a couple of times next year and will definitely be taking the clubs too!

I visited Perth from the US last January. The Links at Kennedy Bay was the best course I played there. Beware about playing it in the afternoon when the wind gets up. I hit a 3 iron 310 yards downwind, then turned around and barely got one 150. I also liked Seaview GC. The course wasn’t amazing, but it’s a fun 9 holes right next to the Indian Ocean.

Funny you should mention those, they’re the two I’m most keen to play.

I’m originally from Perth and have played most courses over there but that was 15 years ago when I was a junior. Definitely playing Kennedy Bay, Sea View multiple times (a swim and breaky at the cafe over the road from the 5th green is a normal morning when I’m back over there, may as well get in a round as well!), probably Joondalup, thinking of giving The Cut a look but it sounds like I’ll be disappointed.

@ScottW heading to NSWGC tomorrow evening for a quick 18, should be there for around 4.30-5pm, if you are free and want to join?

Anyone up for a hit in the next couple of weeks? Maybe St Michaels?

I’d be keen @Shooter.
I could do a late afternoon this Thursday if you were free?

Sounds good mate - what time are you thinking?

Would 3 o clock work?

You weren’t kidding about Bonnie Doon! I played there today, I was expecting a good course but not that good. They might have a new member soon.

3 Likes

Sydney meet up soon? Can host a few at my track (see above post…they got a new member), happy to play elsewhere too. What’s everyones availability like?

2 Likes

G’day Bryn. I’m in Melbourne but would happily fly up and back on a Sat or Sun (or mid-week if you took a 5 day option) to play BD. Heard great things about the course but am yet to play it. Big hole in the resume.